Thread: Wavefront

Bad address email on file

Wavefront

Hi everyone, I went to a wavefront seminar last night and was fascinated at the technology used... I understand that there is one company doing sv but has anyone heard of a progressive or bifocal using this new technology? Also is it viable in eyeglasses with how much peoples eyeglasses move?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I cant see how wavefront could work on a spec lens. The spectacle lens stays still, as the eye moves, and that would defeat the object

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Recently there was a thread on the same topic with the same title "Wavefront" in the Ophthalmic Optics forum. The company that makes the wavefront corrected spectacle lenses and contact lenses is called "Ophthonix". They are Single Vision only at the present time.
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13597

One of the OptiBoard members reported on some Ophthonix wavefront spectacle lenses that were dispensed:
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...4&postcount=15

rinselberg™ - good posts for your good times
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...3&postcount=16

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I looked at the website, and as yet the scientific papers are not peer-reviewed by external scientists. The basis of thier claims for improved visual acuity in a spectacle lens, are based on tight conditions in a sight testing envioronment. The results are as one would expect for on axis visual improvment, there is no mention of off axis performance

I imagine thier response will be: "that regular lenses have poor off axis performance, and in a toric lens, the rear surface is different in different directions".

In the traditional set up (the lenses we all use regularlary), the vergance from different bits from the rear of a spectacle lens are basically the same, and any changes are gradual. With these wavefront adjusted lenses It does seem that vergance could be different all over the lens surface, depending on how varied the measured cornea was. I cant see that this technology would solve non-corneal abberations either, as they are not measuring that
    now what would be cool would be a system that measures distortion at the retina - perhaps projecting a set of circles on to it, and measing the abberations by looking at the reflected image

Thread Information