Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who are the most intellegent, men or women?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who are the most intellegent, men or women?

More than 90% of the world's geniuses are men. Does this mean that men are more intelligent?

Please dont throw rocks at me, its just an observation...
    Last edited by QDO1; 10-20-2005 at 02:22 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your observation is correct.:bbg:
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    And 90% of the retarded (I believe defined as IQ under 75) are men. So the question is: why is the intelligence distribution curve steeper and narrower for women than it is for men? Usually there is some sort of survival of the species underpinning to these types of things. Or maybe intellegence extremism is like baldness or color blindness, for some reason mainly manifests itself in men?

In answer to the question, who are more intelligent, men or women: well if the extremes cancel each other out, I guess the only choice is to look to George Carlin for the answer: Women are crazy, men are stupid. And women are crazy because men are stupid!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    And 90% of the retarded (I believe defined as IQ under 75) are men. So the question is: why is the intelligence distribution curve steeper and narrower for women than it is for men? Usually there is some sort of survival of the species underpinning to these types of things. Or maybe intellegence extremism is like baldness or color blindness, for some reason mainly manifests itself in men?
    Now thats the sort of feisty argument I expected :-)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023

In answer to the question, who are more intelligent, men or women: well if the extremes cancel each other out, I guess the only choice is to look to George Carlin for the answer: Women are crazy, men are stupid. And women are crazy because men are stupid!!
    Sorry I didn't get any of that.

Now wheres my blue comb?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Yep men are more intelligent than women. Just kidding

I bet if you looked at those IQ tests the sample that was taken was mainly men.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Women are deffinately more intelligent

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    More than 90% of the world's geniuses are men. Does this mean that men are more intelligent?

Please dont throw rocks at me, its just an observation...

To be fair I think historically men have had greater opportunuity than women.

Rick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    To be fair I think historically men have had greater opportunuity than women.

Rick
    That to mens shame is too true

Occupation

Based on the spelling of intelligent above?................Since I am not sure if a man or a woman typed it:bbg:

Your call. Hehehehehehehehehehehe.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most women I have ever met could get MOST men to do any thing they want with just a wink and a nod. Now I dont know about the rest of you men, but I know I've done a LOT of stupid stuff hoping it would carry favor with one women or another. So I dont know who's smarter:hammer:
    Paul:cheers:

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation

I say Leo's

:shiner:,,

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJim

Based on the spelling of intelligent above?................Since I am not sure if a man or a woman typed it:bbg:

Your call. Hehehehehehehehehehehe.
    I'm crap at spelling, but thats not big news

OptiBoard Apprentice
    From what I've read, the person who talked about the fact that men's IQ scores have more variability than women's has the most pertinent answer.

First, this wasn't just "an observation" by the original poster. If it were, it would be nothing but opinion. I suspect the OP is committing intellecutal plagiarism by claiming thoughts that came from someone else. I wonder why attribution isn't being made. I also suspect that the original research and article is being distorted and misinterpreted.

I have read some news items on this. I think it was a study by some British psychologists and was published in a British academic journal. As I recall, they did a study with some kind of IQ test (I don't know what kind nor the sample size) and found more men than women in the genius range.

However, one flaw in the OP's interpretation is taking those particular results and turning them into a statement about "90 pct of the world's geniuses" etc. The study didn't measure everybody in the world, and the IQ test didn't exist until fairly recent periods.

As has been noted by other scientists, females tend to do better in school at almost all ages than men, so what does that say about these research results and their importance? Beyond a certain range, having a genius IQ doesn't mean much of any importance or practicality. For example, Parade magazine (I know, hardly great literature) has this woman Maryilyn vos Savant who claims to be the highest IQ ever measured or something similar. I don't know what it is or the exact details, but let's assume it is true that she has some very high IQ. What good does that do and what purpose does she put it? Nothing much, as some of the letters in her column or sort of Dear Abby type questions, and the rest are mainly silly word games and puzzles. The fact that she thinks she is such a genius and is wasting her time with those, shows how unimportant it is in terms of effectiveness and productivity.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Here is the credit, thanks for pointing out omission

'Men cleverer than women' claim

Academics in the UK claim their research shows that men are more intelligent than women.

A study to be published later this year in the British Journal of Psychology says that men are on average five points ahead on IQ tests.

Paul Irwing and Professor Richard Lynn claim the difference grows when the highest IQ levels are considered.

Their research was based on IQ tests given to 80,000 people and a further study of 20,000 students.

'Widening gap'

Dr Irwing, a senior lecturer in organisational psychology at Manchester University, told the Today programme on BBC Radio Four the study showed that, up to the age of 14, there was no difference between the IQs of boys and girls.

"But beyond that age and into adulthood there is a difference of five points, which is small but it can have important implications," he said.

"This is against a background of women dramatically overtaking men in educational attainment and making very rapid advances in terms of occupational achievement."

The academics used a test which is said to measure "general cognitive ability" - spatial and verbal ability.

As intelligence scores among the study group rose, the academics say they found a widening gap between the sexes.

There were twice as many men with IQ scores of 125, for example, a level said to correspond with people getting first-class degrees.

At scores of 155, associated with genius, there were 5.5 men for every woman.

Nobel prize-winners

Dr Irwing told The Times the differences "may go some way to explaining the greater numbers of men achieving distinctions of various kinds, such as chess grandmasters, Fields medallists for mathematics, Nobel prize-winners and the like".

The paper will argue that there is evidence that at the same level of IQ, women are able to achieve more than men "possibly because they are more conscientious and better adapted to sustained periods of hard work".

His co-author Richard Lynn's previous work on the genetic and environmental influences on intelligence and race has proved controversial.

Prof Lynn, an emeritus professor at the University of Ulster, has argued that people of east Asian origin have higher IQs on average than Europeans, or that those from sub-Saharan Africa have lower IQs than African Americans.

Earlier this year, the president of Harvard University, Lawrence Summers, sparked controversy when he suggested at a seminar that one reason men outperformed women in maths and science was genetics.

Several guests walked out of the conference after hearing the comments. Dr Summers, who has apologised repeatedly for his remarks, said later that the shortage of senior female academics was partly caused by child-minding duties, which restricted working hours.

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    Women are deffinately more intelligent
    Talk about spelling!!!!!!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If true, then that's because women are considered to be second class citizens in many parts of the world, including the academic world. In my experience, women tend to be smarter, wiser, and more mature than men of equal age.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I persoanlly think that it is a red herring. Men seem to be more pre-disposed to mathematics and physics, women to languages and the bio-sciences. probrably social differences have made a huge difference historically to who were the pioneers in each field

I think basically men and women are different, and our brains do work in different ways. Maybee that is genetic, and possibly comes down to basic things like - men used to hunt on the plains, and then find the way back to the family.. that accounts for men generally having spatial awareness, and that is shown in the brain. Women used to be in more social units, which would account for why women are generally more advanced in languages

The thought earlier that men are also statistically the dumbest is interesting... and might make some sense too. As in the hunting role, some lead and some follow, some do the hard physical work

If men are more intellegent than women, it doesnt count for much, as on the whole women have much better social communicative skills, which might count for a lot more

Occupation
    Sorry, I was also trying to tell my banker what kind of a dumb idiot HE is. I should have spell checked, but was too mad to remember.

Bad address email on file
    I think basically men and women are different, and our brains do work in different ways. Maybee that is genetic, and possibly comes down to basic things like - men used to hunt on the plains, and then find the way back to the family.. that accounts for men generally having spatial awareness, and that is shown in the brain. Women used to be in more social units, which would account for why women are generally more advanced in languages

The thought earlier that men are also statistically the dumbest is interesting... and might make some sense too. As in the hunting role, some lead and some follow, some do the hard physical work

If men are more intellegent than women, it doesnt count for much, as on the whole women have much better social communicative skills, which might count for a lot more
    Your comment above seems like more evidence to support the benefit of heterosexual relationships. As a logical extension of your chosen subject, which are smarter. Gays or Straights?

Occupation
    1. My comments re more male morons as well as geniuses was not meant as a joke, it's true. This explains perhaps the dominance of men in many fields--if the top 2% prevail and this top 2% is disproportionately male, the inevitable result is more men on top (let's try to restrain ourselves from the obvious joke here). The problem is the bottom 2% is also disproportionately male and these are the ones who develop a crush on you because you once said "Bless you" after they sneezed and still send you Christmas cards.

2. So across the board, who is smarter? Well Bush carried the male vote, women went for Kerry. I rest my case.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    Your comment above seems like more evidence to support the benefit of heterosexual relationships. As a logical extension of your chosen subject, which are smarter. Gays or Straights?
    Methinks thou doth protest too much.
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation

They Say

3% of people use 5 to 6% of their brain. 97% use 3% and the rest goes down the drain. I don't which one I am but I'll bet my last dime, 97% think they're 3% 100% of the time.

Thanks Todd

Bad address email on file finklstiltskin's Avatar
    To all the men out there: Out in the world, there is a woman who is much smarter than you.

To all the women out there: Out in the world, there is a man who is much smarter than you.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Let's look at the facts

In what areas of human endeavor do we find a majority of women? What is the predominant sex of winners of the Nobel Prizes, Pulitzer Prizes or Fullbright Scholorships? How many major business enterprises have been started or are now led by women. How do women fare in the political or diplomatic arena?

I rest my case.

Thread Information