Thread: Is there any eyewear design learning available?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is there any eyewear design learning available?

anyone knows about this? because i'm so interested to get a formal training on optical frames design.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I think Mel Rapp teaches something out your way.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by 890890
    anyone knows about this? because i'm so interested to get a formal training on optical frames design.
    The only formal eyewear design training school i know is in Korea and they offer 2 year training program. Within the 2 year training program, you will learn human facial structures from different races, eye shape/size design, human skin color and frame finishings,frame curve, bridge forming, pantoscopic(spelling??), temple length....from paper sketch to computer aid softwares. Of course, you get to train well on how to eat kimchi....daily.:D

Most designers here in US or foreign countries were trained from industrial design schools and they were trained to design many products, not just frames!

You can also take product design courses from local colleges such as:

---PhotoShop (learn coloring a frame with CMYK & RGB mode).
    ---PhotoShop Illustrator (learn how to create shapes and lines for a frame).
    ---CorelDraw (learn how to design a frame shape and change sizes precisely if necessary).
    The above softwares will help you to modify or improve certain look of a existing eyewear by importing a picture saves in JPG, tiff..etc files and apply modification to reach your spec as. the way you want it to be.

If you prefer to design a frame from ground up, I suggest you to learn:

----Auto Cad. The most popular but not the best CAD software you can buy! Still need to know how to use it if you ever need to communicate with application engineers or manufacturors. This software will help you to create lines (straight and curves) with precise size, dimension, 3-D images/modeling..etc.

-----Want to know how a frame look like in 3-D? Get the 3-D Lightwave!
    This software really helps to "pull" out 3-D image from paper sketch. It offers many great fetures that we don't need to wait 45 days for a physical prototype from factory anymore! It allows you to create, modify and rotate the 3-D images (X,Y,and Z axis). Spend 10 minutes to "pull" the structural frames to change structure and save you months after months of waiting...

Good luck:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG
    -----Want to know how a frame look like in 3-D? Get the 3-D Lightwave!
    This software really helps to "pull" out 3-D image from paper sketch. It offers many great fetures that we don't need to wait 45 days for a physical prototype from factory anymore! It allows you to create, modify and rotate the 3-D images (X,Y,and Z axis). Spend 10 minutes to "pull" the structural frames to change structure and save you months after months of waiting...

Good luck:cheers:
    http://www.zcorp.com/company/overview.asp

I met someone that has one of these units, might be a guick way to get a prototype (although not zyl or metal) in your hands quickly

P.S. Happy Belated Birthday :cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vision Canada West is having a presentation on frame making by Klause Sebok, a master frame maker. It will be available online in real time. To find out more got to the Opticians Association of Canada website.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
    Vision Canada West is having a presentation on frame making by Klause Sebok, a master frame maker. It will be available online in real time. To find out more got to the Opticians Association of Canada website.
    Do you have their address, website, etc??

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks........

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG
    If you prefer to design a frame from ground up, I suggest you to learn:

Thank you for sharing the idea... that's an interesting problem. I have some knowledge of the software you just suggested above, like those 2D and 3D design tools. They 're great and easy to use... I mean I'm no expert to use them but even you know well how to edit or create any different modules in details, you still can't make a virtual frame by using these software. I can build a cool frame module actually I've done before by just play the 3D software, I used Maya, but that didn't make sense. Because there're some basic stuff that I don't know, like the industrial standard, size, material... those things are more important at least from the beginning, you need to know them before the design even gets started.....

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember a lecture in Atlanta once where someone made the point that somewhere in Scandiandia (Switzerland, maybe?) that for part of the final exam for an opticians license one was given a flat sheet of zyle, some hardware and hand tools, and told to make a frame.
    I got the feeling this is the kind of "eduation" that takes more practice than book.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://visioncanada.olcec.net/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    Do you have their address, website, etc??

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
    Thanx, Dave :)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why bother obviously none of the "Designer Lines" have people that have ever been to one. Remember when the first "Designers" like Dior got in the sharing-thier-name-in-the-optical business back in the 1960's. The people that did these had no idea about noses, ears, lenses, thicknesses, weights or very much about human physiology.Much better to get the kid in the cut out room of the designer shop to whip out something and put the great one's name on it.

Chip:D

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I used Maya, but that didn't make sense. Because there're some basic stuff that I don't know, like the industrial standard, size, material... those things are more important at least from the beginning, you need to know them before the design even gets started.....[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I have heard Maya is a better software. Please teach me!

Don't worry about the industrial standard, size and material. Once the material property gets involved, then nothing really makes sense and nothing can be done! I usually design part by part and then create folders for temples, hinges, bridge, ear pieces....and so on. Once i need the part, just open the file and and play around the cursor.....Just do anything to make it look good!:cheers: See photo attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eyewear top view parts.jpg  

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    I think Mel Rapp teaches something out your way.
    I googled Mel Rapp and could not find any information about the courses offered.

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG View Post
    The only formal eyewear design training school i know is in Korea and they offer 2 year training program. Within the 2 year training program, you will learn human facial structures from different races, eye shape/size design, human skin color and frame finishings,frame curve, bridge forming, pantoscopic(spelling??), temple length....from paper sketch to computer aid softwares. Of course, you get to train well on how to eat kimchi....daily.:D
    Do you have any information about the institute that offers this course.

Optiboarders, any idea where I can take a course on eye wear manufacture. Handmade for both metal and acetate.

Occupation
    I make custom frames for people with facial anomalies. Most of my formal training has come from jewelry making classes at the local tech schools and small colleges, a bit from GIA. Most of the European and American designers are self taught for most of the process. Those that have training are also fashion or jewelry designers.

LEARN TO SOLDER !! All metals, karat gold, silver, brass, or monel all solder the same. Take lots of time to learn this part. Don't forget that casting can and is used for some parts.

My knowledge of acetate work comes from woodworking classes that I took in high school. Wood and acetate both respond to the same types of treatment and machining. Check out the new MEI 3-D Framer, it should be good for one-of-a-kinds and short runs, but it is a bit expensive.

Most of the design work is just artistic design, you can either do it or not.

Do a Google search for frame designers. Check especially for the French and Italian design houses, they seem to run more towards the styling that you will probably encounter. The British, German and Swiss are more function and less fashion.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I make custom frames for people with facial anomalies. Most of my formal training has come from jewelry making classes at the local tech schools and small colleges, a bit from GIA. Most of the European and American designers are self taught for most of the process. Those that have training are also fashion or jewelry designers.

LEARN TO SOLDER !! All metals, karat gold, silver, brass, or monel all solder the same. Take lots of time to learn this part. Don't forget that casting can and is used for some parts.

My knowledge of acetate work comes from woodworking classes that I took in high school. Wood and acetate both respond to the same types of treatment and machining. Check out the new MEI 3-D Framer, it should be good for one-of-a-kinds and short runs, but it is a bit expensive.

Most of the design work is just artistic design, you can either do it or not.

Do a Google search for frame designers. Check especially for the French and Italian design houses, they seem to run more towards the styling that you will probably encounter. The British, German and Swiss are more function and less fashion.
    Thank you for this very useful post. Thanks to this, I now know where to start from. I would be much obliged if you are able to send me some links to designers who you think I should follow.

I intend to start by working with materials and solder.

Again, thank you for the useful post.

Benny John

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper There are over 900 optical links in categorized sections .....................

Quote Originally Posted by beejay View Post

I would be much obliged if you are able to send me some links to designers who you think I should follow.

There are over 900 optical links in categorized sections on my website at the following link : http://optochemicals.com/web_listing.htm

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    +1!

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    3-D Max, Rhino 3-D, Master Cad/Cam are all helpful for frame design. If you are willing to invest a year in serious frame manufacturing, I can help to arrange you to work in a real factory starting from mold developing, jigs set up, CNC programming, material selection and prep, casting, press punching, press bending, rimwire forming, soldering, annealing, polishing, tumbling, plating, spray painting---for metal frames. As for plastic frames, you will learn sheet lamination, cnc programming, lens shape/frame shape design and cutting, temple core insertion, assembly, finishing, injection...etc.
    At the end of the program, you might as well pick up Chinese or Japanese upon request....

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    3-D Max, Rhino 3-D, Master Cad/Cam are all helpful for frame design. If you are willing to invest a year in serious frame manufacturing, I can help to arrange you to work in a real factory starting from mold developing, jigs set up, CNC programming, material selection and prep, casting, press punching, press bending, rimwire forming, soldering, annealing, polishing, tumbling, plating, spray painting---for metal frames. As for plastic frames, you will learn sheet lamination, cnc programming, lens shape/frame shape design and cutting, temple core insertion, assembly, finishing, injection...etc.
    At the end of the program, you might as well pick up Chinese or Japanese upon request....
    Jerry Huang, I would be more than willing to invest time and learn the process. Would I also be able to learn the art of handmade. I have sent you a message here.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Still open?

HI Jerry, I sent you a message. If this opportunity is still available I'm willing to prove myself worthy!

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    A Jerry Huang phrase if ever I heard one.

How are you, my brother?

Eric

Thread Information