Thread: The Fair Tax Plan

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

The Fair Tax Plan

Perhaps no other issue affects Americans more than taxation. It affects not only us but our children and grandchildren as well. Many of us feel that our combined Federal, State, County and City tax burden is totally out of control and that some form of tax relief is needed.

What do you think about the Fair Tax as outlined in The FairTax Book by Boortz and Linder.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The funny thing is as a Canadian our taxes are higher, but I see that they in general go towards the right thing. It makes our nation better so I have no problems paying it.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We should have elected Steve Forbes. His flat tax of 10-15% was quite doable and I surely could have lived with it. In fact any flat tax even a high one would be at least something one could plan on an predict.

Chip

The silly value added tax plans and federal sales taxes are the most rediculous and easily circumvented plans I have ever heard.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I love Boortz and Congressman Linder's Book. I have Boortz talk about it for man years and I have been to fairtax.org on several occassions. The reason I think I like it the best is because it was created by non-political people. Go get the book and see how much sense it makes or go to the web site.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    it always hurts signing the tax check.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I admit that I will never read the book that you suggest. But if you condense it in a post, I'd be glad to read that.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    The funny thing is as a Canadian our taxes are higher, but I see that they in general go towards the right thing. It makes our nation better so I have no problems paying it.
    Yer kidding, right? (oops, I mean 'left')

:}

Probably not a David Frum fan...
    Shwing

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwing
    Yer kidding, right? (oops, I mean 'left')

:}

Probably not a David Frum fan...
    Nope. I believe that certain things need to be taken care of so that the whole nation can move forward together. It makes good business sense, because there will be a richer pool of consumption.

Occupation
    I live in Shrewsbury, PA wich is 20 min north of Baltimore, MD and our property taxes are higher than those for the equivalent priced home in Maryland but they go towards our school system wich looks like a college campus and is pristine. We now have a situation dubbed "the great white flight" because alot of the Baltimore city school kids are hopping the lines and attending Baltimore county schools, wich is forcing Baltimore county familys to move to PA for a better education for their kids. The taxes are higher but people are happily paying them, because they go to a better place. Now if we can only get Bush to get his head out of his *ss
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by lensgrinder
    I love Boortz and Congressman Linder's Book. I have Boortz talk about it for man years and I have been to fairtax.org on several occassions. The reason I think I like it the best is because it was created by non-political people. Go get the book and see how much sense it makes or go to the web site.
    Unfortunately, the Americans for Fair Tax are not non-political. The "grassroots" group, and the groups to which their web site links are a front for a larger agenda. I will be happy to post the information, but that's not the big problem with the plan.

The emphasis on the word "simple" should be enough of a red flag, but the plan's claim to be helpful to the economy is flawed. Here's a quick "litmus test" that can be applied to any tax plan and its potential economic effects.
    1. What drives a country’s economy?
    2. What does the plan propose be taxed?
    3. Upon which economic force does the tax apply, the driving force or the non-driving force?
    4. What effects could taxing this force have on the economy?
    5. Would these effects promote growth or stagnation, given that most people take steps to reduce the amount of taxes they pay?
    When you ask these questions of the Fair Tax plan, it becomes apparent that the economy doesn't stand to benefit all that much from it.

Thread Information