Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Condoms for high school students

Bad address email on file

Condoms for high school students

Do you think high schools should give condoms to students? I think it promotes being sexually active and is more dangerous. (Topic on Dr Phil today)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think, remembering on my high school years, that those particular students will have sex whether you have condoms or not. I know people who got pregnant in high school.

I do not think the condom pushes sex. I think people push sex.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I think, remembering on my high school years, that those particular students will have sex whether you have condoms or not. I know people who got pregnant in high school.

I do not think the condom pushes sex. I think people push sex.
    Where were these people when I was in school!! We had condoms but hardly ever needed them

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    High school is too late. They should be accessable to students in junior high as well. Restricting access to condoms is not going to stop kids from having sex, it will increase teen pregnancy and transmission of STD's. People need to realize that open communication about sex does not encourage teens to have sex, it educates them. Parents who feel that giving the "talk" is uncomfortable, should think about how uncomfortable being a grandparent at 35 is or what it feels like to bury a child who gets AIDS.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    Do you think high schools should give condoms to students? I think it promotes being sexually active and is more dangerous. (Topic on Dr Phil today)
    it encourages immorality

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    People need to realize that open communication about sex does not encourage teens to have sex, it educates them.
    So you would rather educate teens to have "safe sex" than educate them to abstain? Of course giving a condom to a teen encourages sex. Is there a difference between that and handing out crack pipes with the advice "don't do drugs?"

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Graduate
    it encourages immorality
    Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right.

- Isaac Asimov
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    So you would rather educate teens to have "safe sex" than educate them to abstain? Of course giving a condom to a teen encourages sex. Is there a difference between that and handing out crack pipes with the advice "don't do drugs?"
    I don't think crack pipes make doing crack any safer.

Educating students to abstain and educating students to practice safe sex when they decide not to abstain any longer aren't mutually exclusive. The either abstinance or safe sex arguement is falacious. As is the arguement that talking about safe sex encourages sexual behavior. Kids are gonna **** if they want to regardless of what you tell them in school, if you put the fear of AIDS, herpes and warts into them they're a lot more likely to abstain or at least practice safe sex. If you're so concerned about not having your kids ****ing then you'd best start educating them on the dangers of not abstaining when they're little (say, starting at 8 or 10), if you leave it up to JR and SR highschools then you've already lost the battle.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I don’t mind giving public school children Ritalin, condoms, abortions or baby sitting services. What I do object to is having to pay for these programs out of my pocket.

Occupation
    Students are not walking around using crack (well most aren't).

Students are walking around having sex.

You think someone telling them not to have sex is going to work? That is like putting a cookie in front of a five year old and telling them not to eat it.

Now if that five year old does not eat the cookie great, but what are the chances that he or she will? In that case, the cookie should be as safe as possible.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    It's hard to smoke crack without a pipe, it's quite easy to have sex without a condom. I don't think the issue is as black and white as abstain or have safe sex. Kids need to be educated on both. And if they just so happen to disobey Ma and Pa's wishes (imagine a kid doing that) then at least they can be safe or safer.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I am going to veer a bit off topic here. I think schools should stay the heck out of the providing birth control thing. I agree that handing a kid a condom almost gives them permission. I would prefer that my kids abstain but I am realistic. And yes, if they are going to be little immoral idiots I would rather have them use a condom. I really have a larger problem with the idea that a school can without my permission give my minor child a form of birth control. It's a short step from that to them driving our daughters to Planned Paretnhood (first for birth control pill and then who knows what) I know, I know it sounds like I am being a bit paranoid but since there is currently legislation afoot to enable minor girls to get an abortion without parent notification it really isn't that big a stretch. I find it interesting that people have a cow about my son saying under God in the pledge at school but it's ok to hand him a Trojan and show him how to put it on ?????
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would say that it's the parent's job to educate the child on this subject and provide any needed materials. However, it seems we followed this policy for years and those with the greatest need either had no parents at home or such useless ones that no instruction or materials were provided.

Perhaps sterilization of all parents who give birth out of wedlock (first occurance both parents), would eliminate 50 to 90 % of the problem (and yes there is a very great chance of multiple repeat offenses)..

Not serious but I don't really think anything else will work.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    I would say that it's the parent's job to educate the child on this subject and provide any needed materials. However, it seems we followed this policy for years and those with the greatest need either had no parents at home or such useless ones that no instruction or materials were provided.

Perhaps sterilization of all parents who give birth out of wedlock (first occurance both parents), would eliminate 50 to 90 % of the problem (and yes there is a very great chance of multiple repeat offenses)..

Not serious but I don't really think anything else will work.

Chip
    I actually agree with Chip's first paragraph. I don't think most parents do a good enough job. If by "with the greatest need" you mean poor folks, I think you're mistaken. It's just that wealthy folks can afford the hush-hush abortion. Teens will be teens.

Karen, how do you feel about Chip's second paragraph?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Well in many ways the school is not giving the students condoms. Generally they are sold in vending machines in the bathroom.

Remember that the students can go and buy these things from corner stores and drug stores, so this is not anything new.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by karen
    I really have a larger problem with the idea that a school can without my permission give my minor child a form of birth control. It's a short step from that to them driving our daughters to Planned Paretnhood (first for birth control pill and then who knows what)
    Condoms are a product that are easily availible at a convience store, pharmacy, supermarket.By the school having them accessable (vending machines in the bathroom, not handing them out like candy), it removes the embarassment factor of acquiring condoms (that may have prevented them using them in the first place, not prevented them from having sex). As far as I know a teenage girl can get on the pill through her doctor without her parents consent.
    Last edited by Jedi; 10-08-2005 at 10:53 AM.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    You are on the right track, also expand it to viewers/guests of Maury, Springer and most other day time talk shows.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    Condoms are a product that are easily availible at a convience store, pharmacy, supermarket.By the school having them accessable (vending machines in the bathroom, not handing them out like candy), it removes the embarassment factor of acquire condoms (that may have prevented them using them in the first place, not prevented them from having sex). As far as I know a teenage girl can get on the pill through her doctor without her parents consent.
    you know I never understood the embarrassment factor associated with condoms. lol

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    you know I never understood the embarrassment factor associated with condoms. lol
    I know, I always enjoyed going in and asking for a box of "magnums". :D The only embarassement I ever felt was from the ring the condom made in my wallet after being there for six months.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Embarrisment

I grew up in Texas and there, if you worked behind the counter in the drug store you sold whatever the drug store had. No faces, no comments.

Then I moved back to Mississippi, married and young. I went to the drug store and asked for condoms (or the more common vernacuar). The lady behind the counter fumbled around, looked confused and finally went back in the area with the owner/pharmacist working on compounds. After the longest time, he came out and said: Charles, we don't let our ladies sell this sort of thing around here.

Talk about culture conflict.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    I actually agree with Chip's first paragraph. I don't think most parents do a good enough job. If by "with the greatest need" you mean poor folks, I think you're mistaken. It's just that wealthy folks can afford the hush-hush abortion. Teens will be teens.

Karen, how do you feel about Chip's second paragraph?
    Well, I mostly disagree. (if it were a current law I wouldonly have one son) but I think that if people WANTED to fix it so they couldn't have children that is something I could see a government program for. I would rather have that than lots of pregnant unmarried girls on the dole. He did say he wasn't serious. On a completely separate but tangentially related note I met Norma McCorvey today in person-that was an experience!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Could you imagine if you needed a licence to produce (making it impossible to even start the production otherwise)? What a world is would be :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I know how you feel!

Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    Where were these people when I was in school!! We had condoms but hardly ever needed them
    I think I've had more dry-rot in my wallet than I've ever used!!:o
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    I understand you can get condoms in any convenience store or gas station vending machine. I don't think schools should provide the condoms, but they should provide education on the hazards of unprotected sex.

My experience is the argument for abstinence and no sex education evaporates pretty quickly once people have children in their teens! You want to bet on piety versus hormones with teenagers, have at it. Good luck with that grandparenting thing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

give'me the condmms

The problem is it it feels good, they are not going to stop. If you can stop a few unwanted births/abortions then we should.
    Paul:cheers:

Thread Information