Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Condoms for high school students

Bad address email on file
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    with children constantly bombarded with mixed moral messages,
    You don't think giving a child a condom and saying "don't have sex" is a mixed moral message????

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    You don't think giving a child a condom and saying "don't have sex" is a mixed moral message????
    Not really, they will pay attention to one of the messages. If they decide not to have sex they will toss the condom out, but if they do decide to have sex they might use the condom.

Guess what? Not all kids listen to their elders.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not giving them a contraception option, is like giving out guns at the school gate, showing them a rambo film in morning assembly, and then wondering why some kid got shot at lunch time. Out of preference I would prefer the sex portrayed in all layers of society to be toned down, because to be frank it is boring, and gets in the way of the important issues in life

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairtime
    I never said "dont have sex" I did say:
    If teenagers ARE going to make love / have sex then condoms is a bloody good idea. In the absense of any constructive methods for stopping under-age sex, then offering something that eliminates many of the consequences would seem to be very sensible.
    There are 2 sides to this debate - moral, and realistic. On the ground, the chasam in the debate is translated into STD's, unwanted pregnacies and heartbreak

To throw some more philosophical spanner into the debate (and this doesnt repersent my opinion, but might be a valid one).. What is wrong with under age sex? Back a hundred years ago, when life expectancies were measured in the 40 and 50 year bracket (on average) it might make sense to have children erlier than later. Why is it under age at 15, 16, 17 or 18 - depending on what country you live in... How was the specific age decided. Do female monkeys have sex the moment they first come into season? If so is that immoral too?

An anecdote

My mother traced her family tree, so far she is back to 1380. Every single female in the family was pregnant before marriage in the whole line back to the oldest one in the chain so far. Contraception will change that

Ho Hum

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    QDO1
    Not giving them a contraception option, is like giving out guns at the school gate, showing them a rambo film in morning assembly, and then wondering why some kid got shot at lunch time. Out of preference I would prefer the sex portrayed in all layers of society to be toned down, because to be frank it is boring, and gets in the way of the important issues in life[/QUOTE]

More important things like maybe playing cricket?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never said "dont have sex" I did say:

There are 2 sides to this debate - moral, and realistic. On the ground, the chasam in the debate is translated into STD's, unwanted pregnacies and heartbreak

To throw some more philosophical spanner into the debate (and this doesnt repersent my opinion, but might be a valid one).. What is wrong with under age sex? Back a hundred years ago, when life expectancies were measured in the 40 and 50 year bracket (on average) it might make sense to have children erlier than later. Why is it under age at 15, 16, 17 or 18 - depending on what country you live in... How was the specific age decided. Do female monkeys have sex the moment they first come into season? If so is that immoral too?

An anecdote

My mother traced her family tree, so far she is back to 1380. Every single female in the family was pregnant before marriage in the whole line back to the oldest one in the chain so far. Contraception will change that

Ho Hum

Now we are talking about monkeys coming into heat great debate! :hammer:

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Condoms in school

My son and I had the talk many years ago and HE came up with this saying, (at 15years old)

A TISKET A TASKET A COMDOM OR A CASKET. :finger:

He is now 25 and no kids or std's and loving life!

Robert
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Thread Information