Thread: Bifocal PD Measurement

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Bifocal PD Measurement

Hi, I am new in the forum Board. I am an optometrist in Singapore. I have a question here. I have a round segment bifocal with me, I need to vertify the PD on this spectacle. Am I suppose to take the Optical Centre of the distant and measure the distance? I have heard that the correct way of measurement is actually to half the segment and then measure the distance, the PD measure suppose to be for near PD instead of distant PD. I am confuse here. Please advice on the correct measurement of the PD and the reason behind.

Thank you

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You would measure the Distance PD (for far vision) by spotting the optical center of each distance lens and measuring their separation. You would measure the Near PD (for near vision) by measuring the separation between the leftmost edge of one bifocal segment to the rightmost edge of the other.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply. But from what I understood from the Lab, they actually mention that it is impossible to get a accurate PD for the distance. They also mention that the normal practice is just by measuring the near PD which is the separation of the edge of the segment. Is this true? Please advice.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    For mounted lenses, Yes, you can measure the Distance PD. The Near PD (segment separation) is important as well, but both should be verified. An incorrect Distance PD will generally induce prismatic imbalance.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by denschng
    Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply. But from what I understood from the Lab, they actually mention that it is impossible to get a accurate PD for the distance. They also mention that the normal practice is just by measuring the near PD which is the separation of the edge of the segment.

Is this true?
    No, the assertion that "it is impossible to get a accurate PD for the distance" is not true.

Nor is it particularly accurate to describe the measurement of the near PD as "the separation of the edge of the segment", which suggests (to me, anyway) the distance from the nasal edge of one segment to the nasal edge of the other.

The NPD in for segmented multifocals is normally considered to be the distance between the centers of the segments (thus ignoring any prismatic effects at near), which can be more easily measured (binocularly) from the temporal edge of one to the nasal edge of the other.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can control both the near and distance PD in a bifocal, you just need to understand the prismatic effect of both the distance and near portions of the lens. You can measure the PD at near and distance too. One can order a seg with different insets to control both the distance and near PD's. It is not allways the case that the near centre falls in the geometric centre of a seg - it depends on the underlying distance RX

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You can control both the near and distance PD in a bifocal, you just need to understand the prismatic effect of both the distance and near portions of the lens.
    I think you are referring to what we call the resultant PD at Near, here in the US. This is the PD you would measure through the bifocal segments, which is a consequence of the relative positions of the distance (major portion) and segment optical centers. As you noted, you can play around with prismatic effects in order to achieve the desired resultant PD, though it is customary to use the separation of the actual segments, not the OCs through the segments.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    You would measure the Near PD (for near vision) by measuring the separation between the leftmost edge of one bifocal segment to the rightmost edge of the other.
    left and left? or left and right?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    left and left? or left and right?
    Oh, Yes, sorry.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information