Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper optician unions

Does any one know of any optician/optical unions in the US

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Must Have A Optical Union

The Opticians In Usa Are At A Great Disavantage,,,,,,low Wages , Long Hours,,,little Or No Benifits,,,,,

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    So instead you want to align yourself with a larger company (union) that represents tons of people, forgets about the Opticians, and takes in union fees.

Do not want to touch a sore spot, but if you are unhappy with the industry maybe you should look at something else, ie: open up your own store, got your OD or MD, or go into another industry all together.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper NEED UNION NOW--the AMERICAN WAY

Need union so all opticians can make a living wage. as a professional person, why do plumbers, electricians, hairdressers, bus drivers, make mare money than opticians,,,,,,,I would be happy to pay a union if they could get me auto workers wages......WHY SHOULS WE BE WORKING FOR CLERKS WAGES

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    In most cases they have far more talent and skill.

Sorry if that offends you but that is the way I see it. The vast majority of individuals working as opticians make exactly what they are worth and if it’s peanuts, so be it. And opticians are not professionals. Opticians can only be considered professional persons in the same manner as prostitutes (no offense intended to either trade.)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by sixlucky
    Need union so all opticians can make a living wage. as a professional person, why do plumbers, electricians, hairdressers, bus drivers, make mare money than opticians,,,,,,,I would be happy to pay a union if they could get me auto workers wages......WHY SHOULS WE BE WORKING FOR CLERKS WAGES
    Opticians in my area make around $50,000. It is about supply and demand. If there is a large supply of opticians and little demand then wages will be kept low.

Plumbers, electricians, and bus drivers are a perfect example of that. Hairdressers only make more money if they put out the risk or either buying their own chair or buying their own business.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unions had their day

Unions had their day back before labor standards and unfair labor laws were created. Now Unions are notorious for corruption and Union workers notorious for being lazy slobs. I think more focus should be put into higher education, skills and training for better wages as Opticians. You have to make yourself "worth more money" to your employers to get more money. Creating a Union will do nothing but raise prices to the consumers and fill the pockets of the Union CEOs. EVERYBODY wants to make more money... make yourself worth more with better training!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Knew I was in the wrong profession!

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker

Sorry if that offends you but that is the way I see it. The vast majority of individuals working as opticians make exactly what they are worth and if it’s peanuts, so be it. And opticians are not professionals. Opticians can only be considered professional persons in the same manner as prostitutes (no offense intended to either trade.)
    That is just too funny!!! Wonder what I could make as a prostitue?!!?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ncoptician
    Like Dick said, you'll make what you are worth!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Talk To Union Members

Do A Little Homework,,,,talk To Other Union Members,,,,carpenters, Electrictions, Plumbers.city And State Workers,nurses,teachers..all Have Unions.....when You Work For A Chain They Own You,,,,you Have No Rights...no Say....employee At Will....wages Are Controlled By Headquarters, To Please Shareholders......opticians Have To Wake Up......we Are Working For Peanuts,making THE Optical Chains Rich

Occupation
    Stop reading that communist literature ;)

No, but I have done my research. I have actually did some studying on union versus management.

I know several people working for chains and get paid rather well. The chains here in town all give health plan. If you want some of that Shareholder money you could buy shares of that company.

I mean why shouldn't the owners try to make money? They are the ones investing their money. You do not think they should recieve a fair return?

This is why I said to you that there is the option of starting your own business.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Better Wages With Unions,,,,usa Was Built With Unions

The Usa Would Still Be In The Dark Ages If It Were Not For Unions....you Are In A Different Country,,,what Do Your FriendS Make That Is So Great...A PROFESSIONAL WITH ALOT OF RESPONSABILILITY.....if They Were A Unoin Member They Would Make Much More,,,there Are Studies To Prove It,,,,,

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper No Licenses In Chains

SOME OF THE the chains are running there offices without licenses IN THE BOSTON AREA,,,,,they cant get licensses or dont want to pay fair wages, overtime, etc,,,,,,,THE STATE OFFICIALS COULD CARE LESS////UNIONS WOULDNT PUT UP WITH IT,,,,IT HELPS EVERYONE,,,,,,

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    USDAW (Union of Shop Distributive & Allied Workers) have traditionally represented lab technicians in the UK. Not that they ever did anything for me as a member in the 80s. These days unions stress legal and financial advice, rather than old style militancy.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    wages Are Controlled By Headquarters, To Please Shareholders......opticians Have To Wake Up......we Are Working For Peanuts,making THE Optical Chains Rich
    I'm quite happy working for an independant and make pretty good money.At the same time I am honing my skills and making connections for when I open my own store.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    The Usa Would Still Be In The Dark Ages If It Were Not For Unions....you Are In A Different Country,,,what Do Your FriendS Make That Is So Great...A PROFESSIONAL WITH ALOT OF RESPONSABILILITY.....if They Were A Unoin Member They Would Make Much More,,,there Are Studies To Prove It,,,,,
    I know that unions were and in some ways important, but I see it as a mess of worms in this situation.

SOME OF THE the chains are running there offices without licenses IN THE BOSTON AREA,,,,,they cant get licensses or dont want to pay fair wages, overtime, etc,,,,,,,THE STATE OFFICIALS COULD CARE LESS////UNIONS WOULDNT PUT UP WITH IT,,,,IT HELPS EVERYONE,,,,,,
    What would unions do? They would raise the cost of labour and force more stores to hire unlicenced people. I suggest you fight your congress person to get more regulation.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Redhot Jumper

Im an old head in optical so let me put my two cents in on this. Back in the early 60's, I was with a union in Philadelphia, Pa. made a better wage than most by being with a union untill we became part of the Teamsters, after that, it all went down hill, be carefull for what you ask for. Just my two cents.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Because you can't spell......just kidding, seriously, unions allow late, call in regulars, alcoholic whiners to get more benefits then they deserve. JMO but my hubby works for a union and YUK!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker

Wow, I am coming in late and tired but why are we compaired to prostitutes?
    Last edited by cinders831; 10-06-2005 at 05:22 AM.

Occupation

In answer to the starting post

Yes, There are optical unions in Washington State expecially in the Seatle area. At least there were 7 years ago when I was there.

Not very strong or effective as has been previously posted.

Sounds like you are ready to get out - take your training and see what
    is out there in an optically related field linked to optical. There are frame rep sales jobs, lens rep sales jobs, equipment sales jobs, managed care jobs just to name a few. Then you will be paid exactly what you are worth - that is what you can sell. Much better than a union.

Rep

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cinders831
    Wow, I am coming in late and tires but why are we compaired to prostitutes?
    Cinders,
    Dick was just blowin off steam, he's wanting to come out of retirement. He's not sure if he should open an ethical optical shop in the northeast or if he should move to Vegas and be an ethical pimp.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Title vs. Skill

I think the comment by "rep" is on target. Just because some passes a test doen't mean they should make an excellent annual income. Typically a Union puts everyone with certain basic qualifications on the same pay scale. These were needed at one time when the only relatively unskilled jobs were available. As an optican, if you are good and willing to work hard there are opportunities. Yes it is competitive, so compete for the great opportunities.

I am sure you don't mean it the way it comes across to me, but I got the impression that you are an optician and you are now entitled to a great income.

Should I beable to buy a football and throw a few passes that my neighbor can catch and now say I am entitled to top NFL quarterback pay?

If on the other hand you are saying that you are very skilled as an optician and have excellent experience, know what you like about the field and what you don't, know what aspects you really exceptional with, and know you either like to sell or do not like to sell, then you should be able to locate a position with good income and future opportunity. Like I said on the other hand if you apply and give the impression that you are state certified and deserve a great salary, look for a low end pay scale job.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep, Seattle area has them. In fact the Costco lab associates were at least 5 years ago part of a union. We also have a local chain, Heartland Vision, that is unionized and caters to the union crowd.

I agree with the majority of posters on this thread. Not all opticianary jobs are equal. If you are unhappy with your current position, change it.

When I worked corporate optical, I made more money, had more benefits, and had more developmental opportunities. What I didn't have was a life...

So I went to a private doc who believes in family first. He just doesn't talk about it.. he practices it! My stress level is way down, and instead of viewing my work towards a Masters in Business as a means to escape the industry, now I want to use it as a tool to move up to larger things in the optical world.

Cassandra
    Last edited by Jubilee; 10-06-2005 at 07:11 AM.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper You could not...................

Quote Originally Posted by ncoptician
    Not funny at all................if you can't make any money as optician ..............you for sure won't as a prostitute.

Why?????????????

Because you can't sell yourself

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Union

I do know of one company in New York that has a union and that's Empire Vision. I believe it is either CWA OR IBEW which I think they are affiliated with each other at some level. I think it is the same union that also deals with Verizon.

Thread Information