Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem solved, No more slippage on AR coated lenses

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jofelk
    I noticed that the Canuck's on the board rallied to Chris's side.
    I wondered if the guy who thought I was being critical because Chris is Canadian noticed that I am from the UK :D.

Rick

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    I wondered if the guy who thought I was being critical because Chris is Canadian noticed that I am from the UK :D.

Rick
    *smacks*

Not because he is Canadian, but because he is from Quebec. Also, it was a joke.

That would be like me saying that you are hating on him because he is white.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Canucks agree....................

"Or how about real high minus and high cyl jobs?", simply edge to slightly larger than finished size. If turning occurs, reblock and finish edging.
    jofelk, Your statement above is correct and you are doing the right method..........I am just wondering if you understand that the pads a meant for AR coated lenses that contain a super slick top coat to which your regular pads will not stick properly and the torque of turning the lens while grinding, will displace the lens from its axis.

I am glad that the Canucks are in agreement......................but think it is more because they agree with my reasoning than out Canadian patriotism.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If turning occurs, reblock and finish edging. This method can also be used with Chris's pad if finished size is smaller than the pad.
    We have tried everything you could imagine! Run up, check, run again. Hair spray, this pad, that pad (THE MOST EXPENSIVE PADS), the cheapest pads, blue dots, clear dots, yellow dots, two sided tape, regular tape, and a combination of them all! New diamonds, new blocks, agressive diamonds, passive diamonds, no polish, two sided dots, you name it, we've tried it. We have also investigated new equipment, no success there either. O wait, more water, less water is another. Nothing seems to completely eliminate the problem, and perhaps the problem can never be eliminated.

So Chris comes along with a magic piece of plastic... I'll take 100 and try 'em out. If it doesn't work, I add it to the pile of things I have tried. If it does work, I retire earlier.... way earlier!

Adam

Occupation

Blue Jumper Even works with old suction cups................

Before the mounting pads came to fashion................the optical world used rubber suction cups on their bevel edgers, which could be used over and over again, therfore making this operation less expensive.

I jusr found out that combined with the new HOOKER pad these old suction cups can be used without a problem...............Reusable suction cup combined with a re-usable non slip torque pad,.................. not a bad idea

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    jofelk, Your statement above is correct and you are doing the right method..........I am just wondering if you understand that the pads a meant for AR coated lenses that contain a super slick top coat to which your regular pads will not stick properly and the torque of turning the lens while grinding, will displace the lens from its axis.

I am glad that the Canucks are in agreement......................but think it is more because they agree with my reasoning than out Canadian patriotism.
    I also am glad to come to agreement with Chris; however it has absolutely nothing to do with Canadian Patriotism (I hate those damn nickels with bears on them that seem to be attracted to me).

So can these pads be used for AR Coated lenses only? How about a standard SRC coat or uncoated lens?

Again, I have no idea what you are going to charge for these things if they work, but if they affordable and work, I am going to put them on every single lens I have.

Adam

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical
    I also am glad to come to agreement with Chris; however it has absolutely nothing to do with Canadian Patriotism (I hate those damn nickels with bears on them that seem to be attracted to me).
    Our nickel has a beaver

Our Toonie has a polar bear :D

Occupation

Blue Jumper HOOKER's......................

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical
    Again, I have no idea what you are going to charge for these things if they work, but if they affordable and work, I am going to put them on every single lens I have.
    Adam
    Adam, I do not want to do business on this forum..............but it is nice and very interesting to see the reaction of the optiboard users. I can tell you that there are many more watching the post's than the ones that participate.

The optiboard is far more far reaching than I ever thought. All I wanted to see how our members react when presented with something new, that many of them want out of need.

I will make up an new page on my website over the weekend and it should be up and running by Sunday noon. All the ones that sent me their addresses we have mailed some samples at no charge and will send out more today.. I really hope to get some comments on these pads either way................positive or negative.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Chris,

I don't know if you're name for this new product is inspired or insane! I'm just sorry that I'm leaving the business too early. Alas I'll never be able to buy some mail order Canadian hookers!

Cheers,
    Coda

P.S. as 'slicker' top coats come on to the market this product should be a real winner for you, congrats!

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by karen
    I need to get some that I will give to my accounts and then have them order it from you (I'll be like the drug dealer and give them two and get them hooked...)
    Thats where the name came from. Sudden click of insanity and..............voila the HOOKER pad.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Webpage added for HOOker pads....................

A page has been added to my website, with information on the HOOKER non slip pad.

It can be found at http://optochemicals.com just scoll down home page to HOOKER pads and click the link.

:D :bbg:

Occupation

Notice..................

Response to question on machine adjustments................

As the HOOKER pad has a thickness of 1mm and acts as a buffer between lens and the regular pad used, the added thickness might require an adjustment on the bevel edger.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Response to question on machine adjustments................

As the HOOKER pad has a thickness of 1mm and acts as a buffer between lens and the regular pad used, the added thickness might require an adjustment on the bevel edger.
    That wouldnt bother my Briot Accura but it would cause problems with my Weco machine as it likes to know the CT of the lens and each chuck is calibrated individually.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I laugh everytime I see "HOOKER" pad. It's funny. Anyhow...my question is...is the pad only used on the front surface of the lens. All the pads I've tried only had it on the front surface but then I got these new pads and they have you put one on the front surface and the back which I've never done before. It worked. Or at least on the 2 sets I've done so far.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Backside.............Frontside...........or both

Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    I laugh everytime I see "HOOKER" pad. It's funny. Anyhow...my question is...is the pad only used on the front surface of the lens. All the pads I've tried only had it on the front surface but then I got these new pads and they have you put one on the front surface and the back which I've never done before. It worked. Or at least on the 2 sets I've done so far.
    As per the first post in this thred the "HOOKER" pad only exist's for the last 7 days.

There has not one been sold by anybody as of this minute..............but a few hundred samples have been sent out over the last few days.........and the first reactions and comments have come back.

Results: I t W O R K S

The "HOOKER" pad has a tremendous torque power along the horizontal surface. The system works with the pad on one side only. The pad is re-usable and if you feel you want to use it on the back surface............feel free to do it..............you will have double the torque to hold the lens in place. As you can re-use the pad, it makes no difference and you have no incresed cost factor.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for the info Chris, also.....congratulations!!

Occupation

Already picked up.................

Thank you too, shellrob.....................................

Besides I was totally amused this morning after finding out that Google already picked up the HOOKER on the Optiboard as well as my website after only 7 days of starting it.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you too, shellrob.....................................

Besides I was totally amused this morning after finding out that Google already picked up the HOOKER on the Optiboard as well as my website after only 7 days of starting it.
    So what you are saying is that if someone has a product to promote they should post repeatedly about it on this board.

I just hope that it Optiboard doesn't become over run by spammers.

Rick

Occupation

Blue Jumper Wrong again rick.......................

Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    So what you are saying is that if someone has a product to promote they should post repeatedly about it on this board.

I just hope that it Optiboard doesn't become over run by spammers.

Rick

http://groups.msn.com/fivebatch
    UK optical chat
    Rick,

Two to three weeks ago there was a long thread on the optiboard with everybody complaining about slipping and turning AR + slick coated lenses when cutting them.

Following this discussion, plus a report that the AR council had discussed this point and problem at lenght in Las Vegas last month, I had a flash idea to come up with a solution to a general problem in todays optical world.

Instead of using the optiboard like everybody, by asking for a solution to a problem, and hoping somebody might have the right answer, I did the same thing the other way round.

I came up with a solution to a major problem and went on the optiboard to announce it, explain it and hope for some comments. This was probably the first time somebody having a most probable and feasible idea as a solution to a major problem and go out announce it on a large and successful forum before a sellable product is even born.

I do not advertise my products or my company on this board on every post I make, by using the advertising links under my signature as per above example.

However I will, if some of my products or my website can give a solution to questions or problems asked on this forum. I also know that others in the manufacturing and supply sector do it, and it should be that way, otherwise you have only one way discussions leading nowhere.

For your worry about optiboard being overrun be spammers I can only add, that you probably never checked and saw how popular optiboard is on google for the last few years. Very often when asking Google a optical question, Google refers a solution to an optiboard thread.

For any users in the UK you can find a version at www.opticalconnections.co.uk under Dac Vision Products, Glazing Pads. We've been supplying them to UK customers now for about 6 months with great feedback.

Next challenge is to add .1mm back onto a lens after glazing any ideas please let me know!

Occupation
    Chris:

I received the sample Hooker pads this A.M. Had a chance to try them on Zeiss Advantage this afternoon. D**** THESE THINGS WORK !!!!!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper It works................................

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    Chris:
    I received the sample Hooker pads this A.M. Had a chance to try them on Zeiss Advantage this afternoon. D**** THESE THINGS WORK !!!!!
    Thank you Jaqui............... I really appreciate your comment!

Everybody in the pad business has been looking for better glue, improved adhesives to get a better hold on a super slick siliconised surface for the last couple of years without thinking that no glue will bond to a non stick surface.

I remembered a slanted siliconised surface I once made on my boat and the spider I watched, was sliding back down because he had no hold on the surface, but the a suction cup when applied would hold in place and stick to it.

Therefore the plastic pad having a surface that will create a vacuum when pressed on, having the ability and stretch factor to adapt to the lens curves, without wrinkling and not allowing for a vacuum adhesion. The pad has now become part of the lens surface to which your regular combined with the adhesive has a good bond and the hooker pad provides the torque to keep the lens in place.

Thanks to you optiboard members discussions another costly optical lab problem seems to have found a resolution and your AR coating lab can breath easier.
    :cheers:

Occupation

Thumbs up Last problem solved...........................

Thanks to the many that tried out the samples provided and gave us their comments, we were able to to find the perfect solution to a problem popping up when using the non slip pads.

The pads have superb torque to hold the lens in place when edging.........but has no veritical hold when there is no more pressure..........which means the lens can fall off when opening the chuck of the edger.

The simple solution to the problem is a stick of UHU paper glue, which is water soluble and washable, available at your nearest Office Depot.

Dab on a smear of that glue to the center of the non slip pad and lenses will not fall off any more..................easy to clean with just plain water and will not attack the AR coated slippery lens surface, re-usable................and no more slipping
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 11-03-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Chris:

Sounds like you have my problem fixed! I will be running to the store after lunch and running more tests this afternoon.

As a note when I did my orginal tests we were able to do the following:

1. -900-200 Crizal Alize 1.67 stock lens blank
    2. Washed the Azure coating off, lens was super super slippery!
    3. Edged down to small, narrow, long, half eye shape
    4. One cut down to size
    5. Very minimal off axis problems
    The only off axis problems we had were caused by ME!, believe it or not! When I was putting the lens into the edger, the hooker and leap pad were coming off the lens.. It sounds like you have this fixed! I can't wait to try!

Adam

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's been a little while since the Hooker pads came out, and I wanted to revive the thread.

Can anyone else report on how well they're working? I'm thinking that they also might also help reduce lens crazing.

Thanks!

-Steve

Thread Information