Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harriet Miers

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Harriet Miers

I find this a peculiar nomination. First, after the Brown embarrassment you would think Bush would not open himself up to another cronyism charge. Ms Miers appears to be a fine woman, but the fact is her main qualification is her relationship with W. Pity, Roberts was IMO a very solid candidate, this is back to business as usual.

Second, I think Rove is off his game. The smart play would have been to nominate a fire breathing far right winger. This would mollify the base and a good knock down, drag out over this, nuclear option and all, would not have been a bad thing for a demoralized conservative movement, nothing like a big fight with the other side to mend the wounds within--and would have knocked other news--DeLay, Frist, FEMA etc--off the front page for a while and given the WH some breathing room. Were I a far rightie, I would be royally ****** off about this. After all, this is the swing vote and I think I smell a Sueter.

Bill Kristol is close to suicidal!!! It will be amusing to watch the 180 degree turn with some right wingers--how dare the Dems try to ascertain Roberts POV on Roe v Wade? Well watch how what was only last week derided as a "litmus test" will now mysteriously morph into the absolute right of the people to know.
    Oh politics really is show business for ugly people!!!!:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Amazingly enough, I agree with just about everything you wrote. It just sounds sweeter when Ann Coulter says it ;-)

Ol' Turd Blossom really dropped the ball on this one IMO.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a rightie, I would love to think there is a method to the madness,,, but alass I fear it's just madness! Funny if this would be something to bring the left and right together!
    Paul:cheers:

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Low Expectations

What's the ruckus? Harriet Miers is every bit as qualified to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court as George W. Bush is qualified to be president.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    shanbaum, that is the best answer I have seen yet as to why he picked her!
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    President Bush’s selection of Harriet Miers does come as a disappointment to me. There are any number of other conservative appointments that would have pleased me more. Many of us conservative Republicans are beginning to question President Bush’s decisions on issues such as border security and increased Federal spending. But in particular, I wish that he would regain that old “fire in the belly” and go out and kick some Democrat butt.

The Republican Party presently owns the White House, the Senate and the Congress. President Bush should remove the words “appeasement” and “consensus” from his vocabulary. This is the time for a good fight and the President seems to be backing down.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    But in particular, I wish that he would regain that old “fire in the belly” and go out and kick some Democrat butt.
    Yeah, because kicking Democrat butt is an effective means by which to achieve policy objectives.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    What's the ruckus? Harriet Miers is every bit as qualified to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court as George W. Bush is qualified to be president.
    God love W, he does tickle me. He commented on Miers that he guarantees (?) she will hold the exact same views in twenty years as she does today. First, only someone as feebleminded as W would see this as a GOOD thing, and second, such prescience from the man who famously claimed: "no one foresaw the levees breaking"!!!!!!!

Then there's this (this is howlingly funny, prepare yourself): this woman has worked with W since he was governor of Texas. She was the person charged with vetting SCOTUS judges. W claims that the two of them NEVER discussed abortion or Roe v Wade. (Little exercise for you: think of people you have known really well for 20 years, and interacted with nearly on a daily basis. Can you think of any of them with whom you haven't discussed this subject? I mean gee whiz George, it's been in all the papers!!!)

Which brings us round again to the recurring question re our fine president: lying or dumb as a sack of hair? You be the judge.
    Last edited by chm2023; 10-05-2005 at 12:16 PM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023

lying or dumb as a sack of hair?
    Are the two mutually exclusive?

Actually, I found his "twenty years from now" prediction especially enlightening, given all the coverage of her simultaneous political and religious epiphanies around twenty years ago.

She could be a serial apostate. I'm praying very hard for that myself.

Occupation
    Yeah, because kicking Democrat butt is an effective means by which to achieve policy objectives.
    Right, Now you got it.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I'm curious if, while under oath during Senate testimony, any of the Dems ask Ms. Miers if she has ever discussed abortion with the President. It would be somewhat of a cheap shot but I'd sure love to hear the answer to that question.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coda
    I'm curious if, while under oath during Senate testimony, any of the Dems ask Ms. Miers if she has ever discussed abortion with the President. It would be somewhat of a cheap shot but I'd sure love to hear the answer to that question.
    I'm betting she had the baby.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    The Republican Party presently owns the White House, the Senate and the Congress.

But not public opinion. "the times, they are a-changin'". Mainstream America doesn't like when those nasty conservative republicans show their true hateful colors and kick butt - true Americans are the good guys. But, please, put on your brown shirts and bring it on!

BTW, saying "the Senate and the Congress" is like saying "the NFC and the NFL" - what with the senate being part of the congress, and all.
    Last edited by Spexvet; 10-05-2005 at 04:06 PM.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm betting she had the baby.
    ROFLMAO :D :bbg: :D :bbg: :cheers:
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    He commented on Miers that he guarantees (?) she will hold the exact same views in twenty years as she does today. :
    Considering "back in the day" he was likely a practicing alcoholic I would stay away from that 20 year thing....if he's a sober as they say he is now I can promise you he doesn't see things now like he did then.

Sigh....I think it's time to start my own party. I think I'll call it Karen's party and my platform will be outlawing illegal immigration and passing a law that makes the gov't pay a 25.00 returned check fee everytime they spend money they don't have.

Now you know why I voted for Keyes in the primary.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Told you that you were a Libertarian. ;)

Alan Keyes, I might add, is completely insane.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

woe vrses charade

Oh my, the sheets aren’t even cold from Bush’s announcement on Monday and already the speculations, accusations, hand wringing, second guessing, sarcasms and rumors are running rampant. Even the brown shirts are circling their wagons. Ms. Miers already under attack because an elected President appointed her, one we all know is a liar and dumb as a sack of hair? Too conservative for the liberals and not conservative enough for the conservatives. All this without a single hearing under her belt.

Never mind that she’s apparently devoted her working life to the “law” along with achieving several firsts in a male dominated profession. Never mind that we don’t have any real dirt on her yet. Yes indeed, Bush likes her and that’s good enough for me to know she’s unqualified and Bush is once again betraying his supporters. Now, if only she had gotten pregnant along the way, we’d have some insight into how she’ll vote on that upcoming water issue.

In my quest to keep an open mind I was wondering what Kerry had to say.

John Kerry: "America can't afford a replay of the unrevealing confirmation process that preceded Chief Justice Roberts' confirmation. . . . Without a meaningful exchange during the confirmation hearings, there is no way to know how Ms. Miers views the Constitution, whether she's a strict constructionist in the mold of Justices Scalia and Thomas, or whether she will protect fundamental rights."

Gosh John, I’m sorry you weren’t able to have a meaningful exchange with Roberts and that his answers were so unrevealing that you were unable to discern his character, his impressive grasp of Supreme Court case law, the constitution and his uncanny ability to communicate complex issues with such clarity one need not be a lawyer to understand the discussion. Is this the reason you cast a "nay" for Roberts?

Granted, it was confusing and somewhat painful to the watch some of the questions being asked, some of which were rather lengthy. Admittedly it was a little embarrassing to see Roberts filter through the veiled accusations and political posturing so quickly that by the 2nd day some of Senators left right after their turn at the mike.

Nor did I realize our constitution was so lacking when it comes to protecting our fundamental rights. I really had no idea that the constitution and fundamental rights are mutually exclusive. Sounds like this archaic document (our Constitution that is) needs some re-writing. Thanks for pointing this out.

Hmmmm… maybe I’ll wait to judge Ms. Miers until the hearings. After all isn’t that one of the reason we have a process called “confirmation”.

Debt Crisis 2011: All the ostensible nobility in the world notwithstanding, we have run out of other people's money to spend.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ksquared
    Oh my, the sheets aren’t even cold from Bush’s announcement on Monday and already the speculations, accusations, hand wringing, second guessing, sarcasms and rumors are running rampant. Even the brown shirts are circling their wagons. Ms. Miers already under attack because an elected President appointed her, one we all know is a liar and dumb as a sack of hair? Too conservative for the liberals and not conservative enough for the conservatives. All this without a single hearing under her belt.

Never mind that she’s apparently devoted her working life to the “law” along with achieving several firsts in a male dominated profession. Never mind that we don’t have any real dirt on her yet. Yes indeed, Bush likes her and that’s good enough for me to know she’s unqualified and Bush is once again betraying his supporters. Now, if only she had gotten pregnant along the way, we’d have some insight into how she’ll vote on that upcoming water issue.

In my quest to keep an open mind I was wondering what Kerry had to say.

John Kerry: "America can't afford a replay of the unrevealing confirmation process that preceded Chief Justice Roberts' confirmation. . . . Without a meaningful exchange during the confirmation hearings, there is no way to know how Ms. Miers views the Constitution, whether she's a strict constructionist in the mold of Justices Scalia and Thomas, or whether she will protect fundamental rights."

Gosh John, I’m sorry you weren’t able to have a meaningful exchange with Roberts and that his answers were so unrevealing that you were unable to discern his character, his impressive grasp of Supreme Court case law, the constitution and his uncanny ability to communicate complex issues with such clarity one need not be a lawyer to understand the discussion. Is this the reason you cast a "nay" for Roberts?

Granted, it was confusing and somewhat painful to the watch some of the questions being asked, some of which were rather lengthy. Admittedly it was a little embarrassing to see Roberts filter through the veiled accusations and political posturing so quickly that by the 2nd day some of Senators left right after their turn at the mike.

Nor did I realize our constitution was so lacking when it comes to protecting our fundamental rights. I really had no idea that the constitution and fundamental rights are mutually exclusive. Sounds like this archaic document (our Constitution that is) needs some re-writing. Thanks for pointing this out.

Hmmmm… maybe I’ll wait to judge Ms. Miers until the hearings. After all isn’t that one of the reason we have a process called “confirmation”.
    While you're reconsidering things--which I applaud--consider this: W cronies include: Vice President, Sect of State, Attorney General, Sect of Defense and now perhaps a SC judge. What are the odds one little man would find himself surrounded by so much talent that he wouldn't have to leave the couch to make his selections? And let's not forget Karen Hughes as special envoy to the Muslim world--who else would you possibly pick but a woman who has spent her life as a political hack, speaks no Arabic, has no diplomatic experience nor experience in the Muslim world?

Favorite Miers tidbit: she thinks W is the "most brilliant man I've ever known". Well there you are, if that's not good judgement, I don't know what is.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by spartus
    Told you that you were a Libertarian. ;)

Alan Keyes, I might add, is completely insane.
    I am not sure if coming from you that might be considered a complement (the Libertarian part, not the insane part) Actually sometimes I feel like W is the Libertarian.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Don't take it wrong, now. :) I should've said "I told you that you weren't a Republican."

Actually sometimes I feel like W is the Libertarian.
    He's definitely a Libertarian economically. As far as big business is concerned, total laissez-faire. No oversight, little regulation of anything, no basic environmental safeguards (read up on what he's done to mercury standards), no checks on corporate ($$$$) power, privatizing everything in sight--the usual. Socially, however, he's quite the authoritarian--autocratic, disdainful of the democratic process, you're-with-me-or-you're-against me, and so on.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hey, why are you guys still bashing Bush? He can't be re-elected, and your efforts can't do anything constructive. Why not move on to something else?

I guess you just enjoy a good bash.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Stating opinion != bashing. Believe me, I rewrote that paragraph several times until it didn't sound quite so bad.

The reason I got into details that seem to sound so much like bashing is because I like to support my statements with examples. Simply saying "he's x and y" without explaining why I think so makes for a weak statement and a very poor argument.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Hey, why are you guys still bashing Bush? He can't be re-elected, and your efforts can't do anything constructive. Why not move on to something else?

It's important to learn from your mistakes. My personal dislike of W is not the point, the point is to engage the nation in a dialogue on the harm flowing from the sort of policies he's engaged.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In a republicans bash Clinton 1996 - 2000 sort of way.
    ...Just ask me...

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Our country needs a viable third party

Hey, why are you guys still bashing Bush? He can't be re-elected
    If Bush or Clinton is elected president in 2008 their clans will have had 24 consecutives years of control over the executive branch.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information