Thread: Feel, See or Look.

Bad address email on file

Feel, See or Look.

Having a debate with a colleague about why most people switch from glasses to contacts. There's 3 basic reasons.

1) They feel better because of the fit.
    2) They see better because of vertex and periphery.
    3) They look better without glasses on.

Which one do you think it is?
    Last edited by Jason Carruthers; 10-03-2005 at 10:24 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    Having a debate with a colleague about why most people switch from glasses to contacts. I think it's one of 3 reasons.

What do you think?
    I agree - it's due to one or more of those reasons.:cheers:
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I would have to say yes!;)

Yes, which one?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most people start out wearing contacts because of vanity, They feel as though they will look better with out glasses. After wearing the contacts the patient often comes to the conclusion that they can see better. At least IMHO.
    Paul:cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    98% Get contacts because they look better (only a small percentage will admit this and say they see better). Most with any strength of Rx see better but only about 2% start wearing them for this reason and then only after the doctor or optician has talked them into wearing them. The reason we have always had higher success (in this case defined as patient wore contacts happily for many years, as opposed the bill got paid) with those 14 to 35 is: Sex appeal (translation: The hormones have kicked in). The reason we have higher successs rates (same definition) with women, is: Women in this age group will do anything to look better.

Sorry if this doesn't fit your profiles.

Chip:cheers:

They see better because : Image is closer to "normal size" and the optical center for the most part moves as the eye moves eliminating distortions seen in spectacles as the eye moves. In spectacles Myopes see things smaller than they are, hyperopes see things larger than they are.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 10-03-2005 at 12:29 PM. Reason: More silly stuff

Chip, I agree with your assessment that only 2% try contacts for visual purposes. I also agree that a lot of people do so for cosmetic reasons. My initial thought was that most people start wearing contacts because of the hassle of glasses fitting poorly. Hurting, slipping etc. My reasoning is that there are many people who are not concerned about their appearance. Can you estimate the ratio of people who are motivated by appearance compared to those motivated by the discomfort of glasses?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ... people who are motivated by appearance ...
    Jason, are you talking about the appearance of their face with glasses on, or the appearance of their glasses with thick lenses?

My experience is that those with high Rxs want contacts because of the appearance and comfort of their glasses. Contact lenses were not as important when their Rx was -2.00 (for instance), but 5 years later, when the Rx is -6.00, they are very motivated to wear contacts.
    ...Just ask me...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Chip, I agree with your assessment that only 2% try contacts for visual purposes. I also agree that a lot of people do so for cosmetic reasons. My initial thought was that most people start wearing contacts because of the hassle of glasses fitting poorly. Hurting, slipping etc. My reasoning is that there are many people who are not concerned about their appearance. Can you estimate the ratio of people who are motivated by appearance compared to those motivated by the discomfort of glasses?
    There is a large amount of people out there that are uncomfortable with the fit of their contacts, and the long dryness throughout the day.

Occupation

Contacts are Female and Age related

If you get one of the contact lens reps to give you a distribution chart with the age and sex of contact lens wearers, you will find that it starts with females at 13 and increases dramatically until about 29 when it crashs because most of them have gotten married and gone back to their glasses.

At least that's the way it was 20 years ago, but I doubt if it has changed much.

Rep

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-Life: You need to learn to fit contacts better.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Having a debate with a colleague about why most people switch from glasses to contacts. There's 3 basic reasons.

Which one do you think it is?
    In some cases you can add expense. It is much cheaper (in the short term) to buy a six months supply of soft C/L, "stretch" them out (overwear) them for a year and re-order online or over the phone.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    For-Life: You need to learn to fit contacts better.
    Chip, it is not my customers. It is aggregate.

Why else do you think all of the contact lens companies are coming out with new soft lenses for dry eyes.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In no particular order:

-- vanity. Especially teenagers, but also young adults.
    -- midlife crisis (another version of vanity). Never wore glasses full-time before, now need glasses full-time and opt for multifocal soft contacts.
    -- sports. Especially teenagers, but also some adults. Teens are both girls and boys, adults tend to be men.
    -- convenience. Glasses are clumsy and in the way, get trashed with hard use, etc.
    -- improved peripheral.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    In some cases you can add expense. It is much cheaper (in the short term) to buy a six months supply of soft C/L, "stretch" them out (overwear) them for a year and re-order online or over the phone.
    Not to get off the subject.. but online ordering.. When the online company calls for verification, are they allowed to call you on a day that you are closed (sunday) and leave a message expecting someone to get back to them within 8 hours? If we can't get back to them within that 8 hour window due to being closed, do they automatically send the contacts regardless?

thanks

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just my two cents,

I think that to a certain extent, glasses in the mind of the consumer are "old" and contact lenses are "new". People are always attracted to what they consider the latest and greatest, and with the cutie pies on the tv ads telling them they can wear contacts for even weeks at a time and not have to worry about them, we are powerless to resist.

In addition, there is a growing segment of people that do use both (gulp) recognizing the benefits of giving their eyes a break and liking to have differant looks to turn to.

But all that being said, the reality of our industry is that the not so good opticians (using the phrase lightly) outway the profesional eyewear dispensers to a great extent. So in this world where the industry as a whole is being sueezed from the bottom feeder chains, we see people every day that are wearing something that they have no business putting on their face. It is a testament to the marvels of what the body can adapt to. If you catch them on the right day they may feel that anything is better than glasses.

aaron

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For Life: I can't recall having had a rigid contact (PMMA or HGP) wearer that did not stain without or prior to contact lens fitting with a "dry eye" problem. When diagnosed by practioner, I have always been able to solve the problem with mechanical adjustments to the contacts. I have had patients who got thier next Rx filled by the practioner who were told they just couldn't wear lenses after repeated efforts failed, but was always able to fix the problem if the patient returned to my practice.

Exceptions: Patients with a staining condition prior to fitting and some of those with rheumatoid arthritis

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    For Life: I can't recall having had a rigid contact (PMMA or HGP) wearer that did not stain without or prior to contact lens fitting with a "dry eye" problem. When diagnosed by practioner, I have always been able to solve the problem with mechanical adjustments to the contacts. I have had patients who got thier next Rx filled by the practioner who were told they just couldn't wear lenses after repeated efforts failed, but was always able to fix the problem if the patient returned to my practice.

Exceptions: Patients with a staining condition prior to fitting and some of those with rheumatoid arthritis

Chip
    Of course Chip, but you are talking about rigid. I think this topic applies more to soft since most of the market wears soft. It is not what is in my practice, because my statement was towards ill fitting frames. Heck, we have the best fitters in town by a mile. However, the problem is that a lot of people out there do have poorly fitted frames and have dry eyes due to their soft contacts lenses.

Doesn't matter how good you, I, or anyone else is, it matters what is done in aggregate.

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    Not to get off the subject.. but online ordering.. When the online company calls for verification, are they allowed to call you on a day that you are closed (sunday) and leave a message expecting someone to get back to them within 8 hours? If we can't get back to them within that 8 hour window due to being closed, do they automatically send the contacts regardless?

thanks
    I believe that it has to be 8 business hours! We have notified Vision Direct, 1-800-contacts et al what our hours are, and that they will only be able to get verification during those hours.

And don't you LOVE it when the patient tries to order herself Freshlook or what have you, when she's only been fit with Acuvue or Cooperflex or whatever!!:D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or that her exam was over 3 years ago....

You betcha I called on that one. Both patient and the "representative".

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

In the grand scheme of things, which one fits better, glasses or contacts?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jason:

This is an apples and oranges question. Answer: Depends on the situation to be addressed and how well it was addressed. Either can be done very well or very poorly or somewhere in between.

Chip

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    In the grand scheme of things, which one fits better, glasses or contacts?
    Eyeglasses fit the industry better because there is more $$ to be made.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Thread Information