Thread: Edging Zeiss Carat Advantage

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Question Edging Zeiss Carat Advantage

What successes or difficulties have you had edging the new Zeiss Carat Advantage?

Slipage seems to be a major problem for some people over the past couple months. Manufacturers are in the process of reformulating pads to try to address the problem.

It has been suggested that flex or semi-flex blocks should be used instead of metal blocks.

Briot-Weco is apparently advising their customers not use the Advantage until they've figured something out. On the other hand the new Santinelli seems to be able to handle Advantage coated lenses perfectly.

-Keith

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    why aren;t these companies using the coating like Alize does to prevent slippage?

Occupation
    Zeiss claims the chemicals in the sprays can affect the integrity of the coating, and is why the won't use them on the Advantage.

-K

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Essilor Alize uses a patented anti slip

From memory I believe Alize uses a patented product as a top coat that can be easily removed after edging. If this is the case Zeiss can not use the same product and procedure.

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Use extra sticky pads, available from Rick and also put a ½eye pad on the back surface. When glazing use your hand to hold the lens slightly off the wheel to begin with thus reducing the drag whilst the speed of the wheel builds up.

Keep your fingers crossed, pray and stroke your lucky rabbits foot as well!!

Lewy:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A lot of the bigger labs dont have this problem, as the new robotic machines have 2 cutting wheels - that oppose each other, reducing slippage. My local lab actually puts a light blue sticky film on all lenses, regardless of coating, to prevent slippage, and we have never seen an off axis result yet. the spin off for this approach is that scratches are reduced too

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper No slippage needed at all...........................

Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    From memory I believe Alize uses a patented product as a top coat that can be easily removed after edging. If this is the case Zeiss can not use the same product and procedure.
    Having introduced the first slick top coat for AR coated lenses in 1987 and many other goodies in AR coating like the first AR stripper in 1985 (still the fastest and least dangerous one) I have to enter this discussion.

This slick coat on top AR coating has been a problem forever for the lab doing the finishing. Lenses turn in the automatic bevel edger, come out off axis and have to be redone.

In Europe and Asia many labs apply the slick coat, top coat, or whatever name you want to call it, after having processed the lenses, just before they are ready to be mounted into the frame.

Therefore they purchase and order the lenses without the slick coat, just as regular AR coatings containing a hydrophobic coating and apply the slick coat in house following an easy application process. This will reduce the price of the lens considerably and produce the same results.

So why not look into this solution and make the difference in price into your own pocket and ride the hype of the manufacturers advertising in your own favour by not having to redo lenses because they turn in you machines.

Of course when my friends from the AR corporations will detect this post they will all fall over me wearing their "corporate armors and rattling their sables" for suggesting something that does not fit in their strategy.

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Zeiss gives us a set of 3 blocking pads per order at NO CHARGE!!!

They work great!
    Just block and use them ASAP.

Here's what the package looks like...
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12250

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Having introduced the first slick top coat for AR coated lenses in 1987 and many other goodies in AR coating like the first AR stripper in 1985 (still the fastest and least dangerous one) I have to enter this discussion.

This slick coat on top AR coating has been a problem forever for the lab doing the finishing. Lenses turn in the automatic bevel edger, come out off axis and have to be redone.

In Europe and Asia many labs apply the slick coat, top coat, or whatever name you want to call it, after having processed the lenses, just before they are ready to be mounted into the frame.

Therefore they purchase and order the lenses without the slick coat, just as regular AR coatings containing a hydrophobic coating and apply the slick coat in house following an easy application process. This will reduce the price of the lens considerably and produce the same results.

So why not look into this solution and make the difference in price into your own pocket and ride the hype of the manufacturers advertising in your own favour by not having to redo lenses because they turn in you machines.

Of course when my friends from the AR corporations will detect this post they will all fall over me wearing their "corporate armors and rattling their sables" for suggesting something that does not fit in their strategy.
    So where can we purchase this slick coat in the UK?

I want some................

Lewy

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Distributor in UK.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Lewy
    So where can we purchase this slick coat in the UK?
    I want some................
    Lewy
    Lewy, In the UK you can get it from Inland UK. Ask for "Super Hydrophobic" solution.
    You can find them at http://www.inland.co.uk

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Many thanks,

I have an account with them....guess whhat I shall be doing on Monday!

Lewy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are having great success using Crimson King blocking pads from Optisource.

Occupation
    Thanks Judy. The Rikipads seemed to work for a time now folks seem to be having a problem with them too. I wasn't aware of Crimson King.

-K

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by keithbenjamin
    The Rikipads seemed to work for a time now folks seem to be having a problem with them too. I wasn't aware of Crimson King.
    -K
    There is the same problemwith all these pads. When you have a super slick surface nothing will relly hold on them. When using them I would say you have to see that there is no airlock between pad and lens surface.

Example: those self sticking postage stamps holding on to their siliconised base paper.

Occupation
    It's seems the solution may be to simply clean the surface of the Advantage coated lens with acetone or alcohol before blocking. Tests thus far have been rock solid.

-K

Occupation

Maybe patent...............

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    why aren;t these companies using the coating like Alize does to prevent slippage?
    And maybe the Alize people have a patent to cover this process and nobody else can use it.

Thread Information