Thread: Which OS do you use?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Which OS do you use?

This is a simple questions, but I hope the answers will vary.
    By "OS" I am not referring to the left eye, I'm referring to Operating System on your computer.

I'm curious to know if there is anyone out there using Linux or Macintosh?
    I've been getting into Linux lately. It has tons of cool software out there that is all free. It takes a little getting used to but is similar to Microsoft's Windows.

If anyone is using Linux, do you use MySQL or PostgreSQL for your patient database?

Thanks for your response,
    Joe

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    MySQL is more established in general, i believe, from what i've seen.

Yeah using win-doze is as retarded & antiquated these days as still paying for telephone. You pay high-price for crap when instead you can get better quality cheap or even free.

Still, some dinos hang onto it... creatures of habit, i guess.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Even though Microsoft is the "Evil Software Empire", they have a lot of good software that makes it easy for the average Joe to set up and run networks, servers, and databases without being a computer engineer or programmer.

Because of the ease of use and support for their software, I currently use Microsoft products almost exclusively in my office.

I'm tinkering with Linux at home to see if I can become proficient enough to set up the same system. If I can, I may switch my office over to the "open source" software, since it is a lot cheaper. The only problem is lack of support for Linux.

The cool thing is that there is so many computer buffs out there who like to help solve problems, so at least there is some support!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am using Macintosh Panther. I have nothing against microsoft but Mac drivers are a different breed.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone trying the Beta version of Windows Vista???

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBunny
    MySQL is more established in general, i believe, from what i've seen.

Yeah using win-doze is as retarded & antiquated these days as still paying for telephone. You pay high-price for crap when instead you can get better quality cheap or even free.

Still, some dinos hang onto it... creatures of habit, i guess.
    The problem is that Windows works out of the box.
    I have tried Linux a couple of times and while I liked it I haven't the time to invest in getting it to work the way I want.
    Installing programs was a headache and upgrades were also less than straightforward.
    As with many open source solutions when you hit a problem the support is flaky.

Rick
    Last edited by rsandr; 09-24-2005 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am using OS X Tiger... doing well for me :D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I installed Mandriva Linux a few minutes ago. My system is up and running without any problems.

I installed Suse Linux about 2 years ago and could never get my network card working. After installing Mandriva Linux, it started working right off the bat.

This is the closest thing to Windows I've seen and am very impressed with how easy it is to use.

I would highly reccommend it...everything is free!:)

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jtart2
    By "OS" I am not referring to the left eye, I'm referring to Operating System on your computer.

I've been getting into Linux lately. It has tons of cool software out there that is all free. It takes a little getting used to but is similar to Microsoft's Windows.

If anyone is using Linux, do you use MySQL or PostgreSQL for your patient database?

Joe
    I have a linux box. I use mysql (it's fast and reliable) although Postgre tends to be more current in terms of implementation of the SQL specification.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I avoid offices using any Window Servers like the plague!!!

If a doctor or similar practictioner wants to put data of yours onto his windows-based system, RUN don't walk elsewhere!

As everyone knows, data on most windows systems is ripe for the picking by anyone with a grade 9 education and half an interest in hacking. Data sitting on windows systems connected to the internet (like most are now) is typically publicly accessible by anyone determined to get at it having some know-how!

Witness how many banks and large finanacials use win-blows for their mission-critical enterprise systems? Answer: ZERO!

So unless you want your private info readily accessible by the public, like so much graffitti in a bathroom stall, do NOT patronize or share your private info with offices running win-blows!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Joe
    I tried Mandrake a while ago.
    Downloaded 10.0 disk 1-3.
    I found I liked it initially, but when I was installing stuff I found I needed disk 4, and it seemed the only way to do this was to spend more in the Mandrake Club than I ever have on Windows software, so if people are looking for a truly free option do some research.
    Oh and BTW, I would guess with Linux that the more free it is, the more difficult it will be to install/set up.
    And if you are thinking of posting in a Linux group steel yourself. They love the chance to pick at lesser mortals, and are generally a smug bunch.

Rick

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I avoid offices using any Window Servers like the plague!!!

Witness how many banks and large finanacials use win-blows for their mission-critical enterprise systems? Answer: ZERO!

So unless you want your private info readily accessible by the public, like so much graffitti in a bathroom stall, do NOT patronize or share your private info with offices running win-blows!
    When can we stop calling it Winblows, surely even nerds have stopped finding it funny?

Rick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use windows XP Pro, with a linux box as a router/firewall. I thought SQL was a database engine not an OS

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    I use windows XP Pro, with a linux box as a router/firewall. I thought SQL was a database engine not an OS
    SQL is a standard regarding databases (ie SQL99) and is also the language used in database systems. MySQL is a database system (Oracle, Postgre, MS SQL Server, etc...) SQL is not an OS.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    When can we stop calling it Winblows, surely even nerds have stopped finding it funny?

Rick
    Obviously when it no longer blows

Look at the market share. I mean by server $$. It's increasingly irrelevant. Amen. But whoever *really* thought that DOS on steroids could be an industrial-strength server, lmao!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Most banks in the UK use Windows NT for their cash machines connected via VPN software, they seem happy enough with that!

In principle however I agree with you.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Joe
    We use both. At times we consider going back to pen, pencil, and large pink eraser.

Adam

OptiBoard Apprentice

Joe
    Isn't it worth just using Windows anyway though? Most optical software I know of is only available for the PC. I guess you could use an emulator to run it but do you really think Windows is that bad? I'm a programmer and to be honest I don't really mind Windows.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar
    Most banks in the UK use Windows NT for their cash machines connected via VPN software, they seem happy enough with that!

In principle however I agree with you.
    It's almost the 7th year of the 21st century now. That old stuff isn't even supported here anymore!

In North America, I know for a fact that *all* Canadian banks, and the major US banks, are now outsourced to IBM Global Services. And most of the employees of these banks' computer services departments have been moved to ibm over the course of this decade. That wouldn't preclude them using windoze though because IBM Global Services is vendor-neutral in providing services.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I dont care what it is called or who makes it... I want a stable, secure and user friendly OS, that lets me work, rather than me working it!

How about XP Pro, embedded! Yes embedded! like in the good ol' days, cant ever remember my 380Z/Atari/Sinclair/BBC Model B etc. Taking ages to boot, or even crash to think of it!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    How about XP Pro, embedded! Yes embedded! like in the good ol' days, cant ever remember my 380Z/Atari/Sinclair/BBC Model B etc. Taking ages to boot, or even crash to think of it!
    You can do that, but it comes at a price...

PuRam - The future, today.
    Introducing the first desktop computer configurable WITHOUT a system hard drive.
    Windows boots-up in seconds, load your games and apps in seconds, and start any program virtually instantly.

Taken from:

www.go-l.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hell I got a 2 gig memory card in my Nikon camera. Not rocket science is it

Thread Information