Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Massive Prism - any one brave?

Any ideas?

-3.75 -1.75 x 10 23 base out 6 base up
    -4.25 -1.00 x 10 21 base out 6 base down

Posible bif/multifocal next time too

Px has exhausted surgical options.

Clearly the lenses need to be a low chromatic distortion, Px last dispense was many years ago, had some form of glass in a hand made frame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Miodisc!?

Blended!?

Do they still make those?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Here's one of our highest Rxs, from about 2 years ago.
    The lenses were made by Laramy K after the Px had made many pairs around the world without success.

OD -26.00 /-2.00 x 83 9^BD and 18^BO
    OS -24.75 sph 9^BU and 18^BO

She came in for an adjustment the other day still delighted with the vision.

I have to say, they are a bit thick even though we used 1.66 material

Good luck

Bad address email on file
    Oofdah

Bad address email on file
    they still make the blended myodisc, I used one not to long ago.This patient was -22. or so,and they looked ok.Im not sure they are any better looking than a reg myo, but they are still around

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jjx4js
    they still make the blended myodisc, I used one not to long ago.This patient was -22. or so,and they looked ok.Im not sure they are any better looking than a reg myo, but they are still around
    yep they still make myodiscs... are they anygood for prism though?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are O.K. if you don't mind the patient seeing through the blend. Mean I don't think it will work.

Chip

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    Any ideas?

Posible bif/multifocal next time too

Px has exhausted surgical options.

Clearly the lenses need to be a low chromatic distortion, Px last dispense was many years ago, had some form of glass in a hand made frame.
    Try Lentoid in Leeds.
    Im sure Jack Jones will relish making these lenses,

Rick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    Try Lentoid in Leeds.
    Im sure Jack Jones will relish making these lenses,

Rick
    I will call them up, shall I tell them who refered me?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Pech Optical did one of these for me about a year ago:

OD: -7.75 -3.75 10 BU

It was a FT28, can't remember what material it was--1.56 or 1.60 if memory serves, but it wasn't as awesomely terrible as you would think.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Please let me know how you come out. I have been grinding lenses for thirty + years. I am quite sure there is a definate point you reach of prism it becomes impossible to grind. I think you may have one here. Press on may by your only answer. The high prism Clive mentoined in the thread with those super high minus lenses was probably easer to gring due to the high power than your weaker rx lenses. The movement of the optical center would creat effects of prism in large amounts with little movement. Surely blended myodisc is NOT the answer in this situation. They are only for higher minus lenses. You may talk to the guys at epic, they can grind some things that are realy tough. Please let me know what you resolve.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do Rx's like this all the time. The best index is CR-39. The dispersion involved in the prism alone countered by a lower abbe like 1.6, 1.58 is an instant rerefract if the dispenser doesn't know how to trial frame. CR-39 and glass have the same ABBE. The highest in prism in a frame we have done is 9 base up and out with 9 base down & out. Keep the frame small with the decentration within 2-3mm distance & vertical.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman
    We do Rx's like this all the time. The best index is CR-39. The dispersion involved in the prism alone countered by a lower abbe like 1.6, 1.58 is an instant rerefract if the dispenser doesn't know how to trial frame. CR-39 and glass have the same ABBE. The highest in prism in a frame we have done is 9 base up and out with 9 base down & out. Keep the frame small with the decentration within 2-3mm distance & vertical.
    I am sorry Bev. You have ground a total of 9 diopters. QD01 is asking for a ground prism of about 24 diopters. I don't think you can wind up with a reasonable product in lenses this weak. If anyone has , let me know. PLEASE! :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    I am sorry Bev. You have ground a total of 9 diopters. QD01 is asking for a ground prism of about 24 diopters. I don't think you can wind up with a reasonable product in lenses this weak. If anyone has , let me know. PLEASE! :hammer:

Sorry Jim, I didn't see the 23 diopters with the 6 out until tonight. :hammer: :D Why isn't this person a candidate for surgery?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :D Why isn't this person a candidate for surgery?
    The patient allready had major surgery. 6th Cranial nerve damaged in car accident. On consulting Dr. was told that further surgery may only partially allieviate problem, but could cause many other problems. On balance Px and Dr decided to leave it allone

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I may be out of line, but.....What about Fresnel Press-on prism? I know most will say that they are only temporary. I have many patients who have worn theses for years. The awkward look of the Fresnel may be a better option then the thickness of the lens with the ground in prism. Good luck.

Fezz
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz
    I may be out of line, but.....What about Fresnel Press-on prism? I know most will say that they are only temporary. I have many patients who have worn theses for years. The awkward look of the Fresnel may be a better option then the thickness of the lens with the ground in prism. Good luck.

Fezz
    :cheers:
    We thought that too. The patients VA is excelent, and the fresnel does work, but drops the patient 4 lines down the chart

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have had some pretty tough cases like this. We refer for other another opinion. Did this patient have a second opinion? If yes then I beleive the Fresnel is the only option. The blank thickness alone is a barrier. The trade off of 4 lines may be better than trying to keep this Rx in place.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The trade off of 4 lines may be better than trying to keep this Rx in place.
    Well the challenge is more interesting - as the chap allready has a pair of spectacles that is about 7 years old with slightly more prism in. Unfortunatally the fella that surfaced them isnt alive any more, and the company he worked for havent an idea how to repeat the job

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well well well. Seems the Brits have come up trumps.. Lentioid in Leeds certainly surprised me, by sending some fine mock up blanks, with the full prescription surfaced on it, in 1 day from calling them... Yes I said surfaced. 100 Brownie points to Jack @ Lentiod in Leeds UK

:drop:

That was:

We see the patient tomorow and only have the folowing hurdles to get past

- Eye exam
    - Measurements
    - Getting a hand made frame
    - Glazing
    - Adaption
    - Any other problems

Easy then
    To be fair to the US, LaramyK said they can surface the lenses too, and apparantley they did a higher script last year, but I would imagine there was a higher Sph/Cyl script

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

glad we could help

hope we can improve on the job with some different blanks for the finished article.
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    Well well well. Seems the Brits have come up trumps.. Lentioid in Leeds certainly surprised me, by sending some fine mock up blanks, with the full prescription surfaced on it, in 1 day from calling them... Yes I said surfaced. 100 Brownie points to Jack @ Lentiod in Leeds UK

:drop:

That was:

We see the patient tomorow and only have the folowing hurdles to get past

- Eye exam
    - Measurements
    - Getting a hand made frame
    - Glazing
    - Adaption
    - Any other problems

Easy then
    To be fair to the US, LaramyK said they can surface the lenses too, and apparantley they did a higher script last year, but I would imagine there was a higher Sph/Cyl script

I'd love to see. Can you scan a photo from different angles. I have many questions. I'd like to know the frame size and material used. Also how much tollerance used (if you have equipment to check them out)? You can email if you like. Please let me know these things.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone
    I'd love to see. Can you scan a photo from different angles. I have many questions. I'd like to know the frame size and material used. Also how much tollerance used (if you have equipment to check them out)? You can email if you like. Please let me know these things.
    Well we are a long way off from finishing the job. As I havent paid Jack @ Lentoid for them (these were only mock up lenses), we would have to ask Jack (aka. OPTISPARES) if he is prepared for people to view his genius bit of surfacing

The frame will probrably be hand made

The surfacing tecnique isnt for me to divulge!

The prism and power was pretty spot on! after we checked it using a rotary prism, a couple of lenses from the trial set and the extreeme of the screen

Occupation

not to difficult .

:o
    we would have to ask Jack (aka. OPTISPARES) if he is prepared for people to view his genius bit of surfacing
    not really genius just a matter of conning a coburn xrt into generating a bit of extra prism by changing the prism index . i.e.the lenses are cr39 1.5 index so by entering a prism index of 1.250 and generating 10 prism you get 20 prism in the
    lens.
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optispares
    :o .
    not really genius just a matter of conning a coburn xrt into generating a bit of extra prism by changing the prism index . i.e.the lenses are cr39 1.5 index so by entering a prism index of 1.250 and generating 10 prism you get 20 prism in the
    lens.
    You're under arrest.

Thread Information