Thread: First Time Buying Eyeglasses - Please Help!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

First Time Buying Eyeglasses - Please Help!

Hi there,

This is my first time with eyeglasses and I am in desperate need of expertise here. I have a fairly light prescription and got Halston frames at Bay Optical. Frames - $107 (originally $199), Lenses - $50 (originally $75), Teflon Coating - $120 (originally $159.99), Warranty - $20.

When I took them home, I saw that the frame was damaged and the edging on the lenses were quite bad. The saleswoman told me it was the prescription and had to be that way. Several lab techs told me later that was just a bad edging job. When I came back, the saleswoman said she'd order new lenses and that it was the worst edging job she'd seen - without even looking at it. By then, it was too late as my trust in them had been lost and I ended up returning them.

I now realize that the lenses price usually comes with the coating included. Other places quoted me around $160-$180 for the Nikon Ice, Crizal Alize, etc.

What is the better brand? Nikon ICE or the Essilor Crizal Alize? A couple people said Nikon ICE is the best and that Crizal Alize is more comparable to the Teflon. Some people tell me Crizal Alize is the best out there. So which is it?

Also, which is the better - Crizal Alize or Crizal D'Alize? I know the D'Alize is a bit more, but is it indeed better in some way?

The frames I am considering buying this time around are Aspex MDX 3090, picture attached. (The second style, MdX Magnetic Eyewear model S3090 from Manhattan Design Studio, is designed for modern, urban women. It features semi-rimless floating lenses with a slight wrap effect and is also made of Monel. Its laminated acetate temples are enhanced with an inside stripe)

Is the frame usually of less quality because of it's dual functionality? I'd love to find a frame like this in another purely eyeglass frame form but I can't. The arms are also plastic and I worry about the ability to bend them so they don't slide off my face (my nose is fairly flat). As well, the frame is partially rimless at the sides and the metal is fairly flexible, which I worry about. What is your opinion on the durability of these type of frames?

I am in desperate need of some expertise, advice and guidance. This is my first time buying glasses and I don't want to get duped again. If there's anything you feel I should know, please say so!

My greatest thanks in advance.:cheers:

-Cricket
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01026048.jpg  
    Last edited by freelancer; 09-17-2005 at 12:23 AM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    1. Alize is better than ICE, because Alize is vacuumed on and ICE is dipped on, so over time the slippery part of ICE comes off. I also find that the Alize is much more easier to clean than the ICE.

2. D Alize is better than Alize. The main difference is the hue they give off. When you get a pair of lenses there is glare, and when you add an AR coating there is still on average a 1 percent glare (which is better than 8-10 percent). Now they make that remaining glare a more comforting colour. So the Alize has a green hue and transmits 99.2 percent light (on average), and the D Alize has a blue hue and transmits 99.6 percent (on average). So if there is not much of a price difference go with the D Alize.

Occupation
    I've been dispensing Crizal Alize for almost a year now with very good results. My scratch warranty remakes have taken a dive since the AR process holds up alot better than previous generation AR processes.

I know the magnetic clip concept is appealing since it saves you a few sheckles by not having to purchase seperate frame and lenses for sunwear BUT there is a handful of reasons why this option does not afford the same optical performance as a dedicated pair of prescription sunwear:

1. The polarized clip lenses are usually substandard quality as opposed to ophthalmic quality lenses that are manufactured to the same standards as prescription eyewear.

2. It's not really a matter of IF you will end up with scratched lenses but WHEN. In reality the polarized clip usually ends up in a shirt pocket, purse, glove compartment, etc with other objects that end up scratching them.

3. With normal periphereal binocular vision of 160 degrees, a clip is only blocking light from 90 degrees (straight ahead). Although the lens may diminish a significant amount of light transmission and glare from straight ahead, it is really only blocking about 60 percent of the ambient light.

4. The refractive index of different lens materials results in light passing through one lens medium at a different speed than the other lens medium which compromises quality optics.

5. Many retailers will discount the second complete pair which may also make it more affordable for you.

One collateral effect is folks that understand a dedicated pair of sunwear offers the best optical performance will look at you and think you are too cheap to do the right thing.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Note: light speeds up after leaving any material. Once it leaves the polarized clip it speeds up instantly to air (186K) and then slows back down to lens speed, it again speeds back up to air before reaching the eye. So this should not be part of the problem. Just as passing though different mediums in the eye (unless the medium itself is inconsistant in index as with cataract) does not cause problems, in fact there would be no reason for the eye to have contents with various indexes.

Chip

Occupation
    Hi there!

Thanks for all the great replies - you all have been great help! I truly appreciate it.

I think I will go with the D'Alize now, if the price difference isn't too much from the Alize. Hearing that ICE is dipped on completely steers me away from it.

I don't intend on using the magnetic clip on if that makes a difference? I want to get this frame purely based on the style of the frame. I have REVO sunglasses, so I won't be using the clip on they supply. However, I'm concerned about the durability of the frames as a standalone frame. As you might be able to see from the photo, they are semi-rimless in a weird wraparound look. The wire is a bit flimsy/flexible, and the arms are plastic. I am not sure if they are bendable much on the arms. I fear the frames snapping or something horrible. If I were to not use the magnetic clip on at all, what are your opinions of the ability of the frame to be durable and to latch on well to the lenses?

Thank you so much again!

-Cindy

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    The durability of the frame's wire is greatly enhanced if it has either titanium or stainless steel. In which case it usually says so on the frame or on a sticky label.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What the heck is Crizal "D'Alize"?? I've only used "Alize" and the regular Crizal. Is this a new version of the coating or just someone from the south trying to speak french?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly47
    What the heck is Crizal "D'Alize"?? I've only used "Alize" and the regular Crizal. Is this a new version of the coating or just someone from the south trying to speak french?
    D Alize is better than Alize. The main difference is the hue they give off. When you get a pair of lenses there is glare, and when you add an AR coating there is still on average a 1 percent glare (which is better than 8-10 percent). Now they make that remaining glare a more comforting colour. So the Alize has a green hue and transmits 99.2 percent light (on average), and the D Alize has a blue hue and transmits 99.6 percent (on average). So if there is not much of a price difference go with the D Alize.

D Alize is not available in the US

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aspex will sell their frames without the clips in many cases. If you don't want the clip ask the optician if you can order the frame without it. We do this sometimes if someone like the frame but doesn't want the clip.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBunny
    The durability of the frame's wire is greatly enhanced if it has either titanium or stainless steel. In which case it usually says so on the frame or on a sticky label.
    Cripes, this frame is made of Monel, not stainless steel or titanium. How does Monel compare? The frames are so nice, I wish they were standalone quality!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Aspex will sell their frames without the clips in many cases. If you don't want the clip ask the optician if you can order the frame without it. We do this sometimes if someone like the frame but doesn't want the clip.
    Hi! Thanks for this great advice Happylady and PAkev! I asked the one optician if they had to come as a set and she said yes, but I will ask someone else tomorrow as she's not in. LOL. I will also ask the other retailer that I'm thinking of ordering from as well. I really don't need the clip and wouldn't use it anyway and if I can save even more, then why not. I suppose it'd be nice to have the clip in case but I would be too worried about it damaging the actual glasses somehow!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer
    Cripes, this frame is made of Monel, not stainless steel or titanium. How does Monel compare? The frames are so nice, I wish they were standalone quality!
    Monel works very well. Do not mind SkiBunny, she is extremely smart, but is a consumer, and does not handle as much product as us. Yes, stainless steel and titanium can be better all other things equal, but most frames out there are not stainless steel or titanium and work extremely well.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Monel works very well. Do not mind SkiBunny, she is extremely smart, but is a consumer, and does not handle as much product as us. Yes, stainless steel and titanium can be better all other things equal, but most frames out there are not stainless steel or titanium and work extremely well.
    Well, everyone on this board is too smart! Thanks to the both of you for your expertise. They are fairly flexible, which could be good or bad I guess. But if they don't hold up, there is the warranty. The arms are plastic though - will that make it difficult to bend so the glasses don't go downhill on my face?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer
    Well, everyone on this board is too smart! Thanks to the both of you for your expertise. They are fairly flexible, which could be good or bad I guess. But if they don't hold up, there is the warranty. The arms are plastic though - will that make it difficult to bend so the glasses don't go downhill on my face?
    Not if the optician can fit. Glasses should not slide down on your face regularly. If they do then go back and get an adjustment.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Not if the optician can fit. Glasses should not slide down on your face regularly. If they do then go back and get an adjustment.
    I just have a pretty flat nose bridge, so that's why my glasses were bent so much at the arms as to hook them on I guess. Not that I liked the super bent arms anyway - they were annoying!

Occupation
    Me again - I've decided to nix getting the Aspex frames I described here. They look kind of cheap even though they are expensive with the clipons.

Does anyone know about the quality of Prodesign, Oxibis or Moschino frames?

Thanks!

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I can't say enough good things about Prodesign, I may be a little biased, because a good friend of mine is the rep for them in Western Canada. I absolutely love the Alu-top series and the other aluminum series, though they can get marred when adjusting because the material is relatively soft. The titanium stuff is really great too. Overall I've had little issues with breakages and consider the line to be well made. Oxibis and it's premium counterpart Exalto are also quite nice and I don't recall having any defective returns yet (we have had the line for a year). Moschino never really did anything for me, when Lux had the Emporio Armani license I always thought Moschino was the design cast-offs from that series. I felt it was being too youthful (for the brand) and the colours always looked throw together without much thought. Now, I haven't seen any new releases lately, so I am going one what I recall from a year ago.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Jedi! Thanks for the great response. I'm also in the West here and a Prodesign rep is coming here this week. I asked because I was going to check out the rep's stuff today at one of the optical retailers! Maybe it is your friend? That would be a small world!

I will probably try to find a Prodesign frame because they seem to be well made and funky-stylish. I also really like the Oxibis Brazil 04 or 01, but they are quite expensive, are they not? I found one frame I like at an Optometrist office and it was quite pricey. Unfortunately, I don't know who would be able to order them for me so I might nix that alltogether.

I wonder if the Prodesign reps show all the stores in the city the same case of frames? I know the Prodesign one is coming to two stores I know but I figured I didn't need to go to both, but what do I know?

I doubt I will get the Moschino frame. It was nice but wasn't a zinger. Oh decisions, decisions!

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If you're west of Winnipeg you'll definately see Jennifer. Prodesign's price point varies from about $200-$600, some accounts don't bring in the more expensive stuff because of their demographics, but I would imagine she would have all her bags with her. To give you a head start you can have a look at their website.
    Jarratt
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Prodesign is a great frame line. They have some bold styles and colours but also have some more conservative frames also. Great quality and can stand up to a 2 year old crawling all over my head with them on.

Occupation
    Well, this is a long delayed reply. Thanks for all those that helped me out with my novice questions!

I still never ended up finding a frame I liked. However, I think I have finally found a pair of frames made by "KOALI". I can't seem to find much info on them online. Can anyone attest to the brand and quality?

Thanks!
    Last edited by freelancer; 01-25-2006 at 03:05 AM.

Thread Information