Thread: Prescription question

OptiBoard Novice

Wave Prescription question

If my prescription was wrong in some way could that cause blurriness when I look all around the sides of my lens? I have strabusimus and astigmatism. My current eye exam says my prescription is:
    R. +5.50 Sphere, Cylind - 1.75, Axis 084
    L. +5.50 Sphere, Cylind - 1.75, Axis 065

I see perfectly fine with my old lenses and a pair of sunglasses made with Seiko 1.67 lenses both in my former prescription. But with this new prescription in a Hoya Eyas 1.60 aspheric the left lens in blurry all around the edges and when I look at small lights at a distance, they are crisp in my right eye but almost a double vision in my left. I want to ask the Dr. to just use my old prescription for the left lens since I see so well with it. She already re-checked my eye and changed the Cylinder number. She feels the prescription is fine and it's my eye not adjusting to the new lens. Any ideas?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We always have to be careful in what we say over the internet, here.

1.) It's not unreasonable to assume that the astigmatism correction is not right, and specifically the axis.

Maybe the refraction is off, maybe the lens is off tolerance in some way. Only a trouble shooter can tell, and that will be your Dr.

2.) It's unlikely that it's the lens brand, for a couple of reasons: both eyes would have the problem, not just one. Also, Hoya's 1.6 is very clear stuff, somewhat clearer than the 1.67 Seiko.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You may have the added complication of a very young ophthalmologist. These tend to be a bit more egotistic and not willing to re-examine for the possiblility that they as an MDiety might have made a mistake. Try the phrase "re-evaluation of the the problem." Offends them less than "could my refraction be wrong."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    "a young ophthalmologist"

whats with the "i spoke to an ophthalmologist", etc. all over this forum?

Ophthalmologists are never trained to do a refraction. Many of them even
    find it beneath them, and almost always delegate. Most of them hate doing refractions. An ophthalmologist does a refraction only to judge the health of any eye, meaning can you see 20/20? 20/30? etc. They are not trying to find an Rx that is comfortable to wear.

OMDs are also NOT trained to do contact lens fits. If you think so, you are mistaken. A reputable OMD stays away from contact lenses like the plague.

appears to be several with chips on the ole shoulder who post massively.

just an early observation

As far as the prescription you cant see out of, go back to whoever prescribed them and explain your problems. They will be more than happy to help you out.

Thread Information