Thread: Optical Dynamics Lens Casting

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Optical Dynamics Lens Casting

Just wondering if anyone has experience with an Optical Dynamics Lens Casting System. I entertained utilizing the FAST CAST system about 10 years ago which Optical Dynamics now owns the technology and patents.

My main concern is it seems to limit what you can offer your patients in specific materials and lens designs. Therefore, a 5 year commitment to using the system may also diminish your ability to meet patients specific optical demands with the most appropriate product in today's or even tomorrow's marketplace.

Since Flat Tops will end up costing more than what I can purchase uncuts for the only way I see potential for additional profitability is by selling a high volume of PAL's to value driven consumers.

Just wondering if I've turned over all the stones?
    Thoughts appreciated!
    Kevin
    Last edited by PAkev; 09-13-2005 at 11:29 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have known at least a half a dozen people who have done lens casting, no one has ever been happy, at least not 100%. there seems to always be something not right. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Paul:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Low survival rate ................

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    I have known at least a half a dozen people who have done lens casting, no one has ever been happy, at least not 100%. there seems to always be something not right. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    I lost $ 35,000 some years ago together with 35 other investors I know of to get a lens casting system going. Have not seen one successfull system up to date that has survived for a good long time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, I know that wal-mart and cole vision couldnt make it work. I wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole.
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The one I used produced very soft lenses that couldn't be tinted, although they turned a nice shade of yellow in days. There were also health and safety issues and it was abandoned after a few weeks. Surfacing is a better option.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by PAkev
    Just wondering if anyone has experience with an Optical Dynamics Lens Casting System. I entertained utilizing the FAST CAST system about 10 years ago which Optical Dynamics now owns the technology and patents.
    Kevin
    I am very familiar with the Optical Dynamics system. In recent years they have added a number of lens options to their available product (short corridor, atoric, etc). With regards to FT28.... being able to offer a mid-index FT28 or a photochromic for that matter has a market. It has a relatively small foot print and allows an private practioner or optical to offer faster service with a lower cost. The yield rate can vary from user and there were some problems a few years back with regards controlling the flow of the polymer which I believe they have since addressed using a compressed air system. I think it is worth looking into.

For inquiring minds: I am not invested in, affiliated with nor have any other financial interest in Optical Dynamics.

Doc

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The ODC (Optical Dynamics Corporation) website has a new layout and new content since the last time I checked it, which wasn't that long ago.

This is the new web content that caught my eye first, because I have been tracking all the new developments in AR (anti-reflective) technologies and products:

One major advantage of producing [out-of-the-mold] AR-coated lenses vs. applying AR to already finished plastic lenses with a separate vacuum process is the surface quality of the delivered lens. Unlike traditional vacuum ARs that apply extremely thin layers of vaporized metal oxides, ODC nanoCLEAR AR uses nano-particle metal oxides in a polymer base. The result is an exterior lens surface that does not require the addition of a hydrophobic coating to make the lens cleanable. ODC nanoCLEAR AR-coated lenses are just as easy to clean as any other ODC ClearLight or SmartShades lens.

Optical Dynamics has entered into joint development agreements with both the University of Louisville and the University of Kentucky . Both of these universities have nationally prominent nanotechnology departments. Optical Dynamics has benefited from cooperatively working with the faculty and scientists at these two prestigious universities in the development of our nanoCLEAR AR technology.
    credit: http://www.opticaldynamics.com/index.html

My Internet searches also suggest that Zeiss and/or iCoat capable labs are also able to apply the new Zeiss Carat Advantage and iCoat Vivix Stainless AR packages (respectively) to ODC molded lenses.

references:
    http://www.zeisslenses.com
    http://www.icoatcompany.com

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    One major advantage of producing [out-of-the-mold] AR-coated lenses vs. applying AR to already finished plastic lenses with a separate vacuum process is the surface quality of the delivered lens. Unlike traditional vacuum ARs that apply extremely thin layers of vaporized metal oxides, ODC nanoCLEAR AR uses nano-particle metal oxides in a polymer base. The result is an exterior lens surface that does not require the addition of a hydrophobic coating to make the lens cleanable. ODC nanoCLEAR AR-coated lenses are just as easy to clean as any other ODC ClearLight or SmartShades lens.

Optical Dynamics has entered into joint development agreements with both the University of Louisville and the University of Kentucky . Both of these universities have nationally prominent nanotechnology departments. Optical Dynamics has benefited from cooperatively working with the faculty and scientists at these two prestigious universities in the development of our nanoCLEAR AR technology.
    This is an interesting approach, one that a number of groups have attempted with some sucess. It makes particular sense for OD given the configuration of their equipment. It will be interesting to see what their mechanical performance is like.

Thread Information