Thread: New pal user seeks advice

OptiBoard Novice

New pal user seeks advice

I just received a prescription for new progressive lenses, my first pair of PALS in my life. Currently using reading glasses with 1.25 magnification. Age is 46 and the numbers are this:
    sphere - +.25, R&L
    ADD - +1.25, R&L. No cylinder or axis numbers

Those are the only numbers on the prescription. I have no insurance coverage at this time, so I am trying to purchase 2 pair of glasses at a reasonaable cost (not the cheapest, yet not the most expensive.) I have shopped at two locations and discovered Varilux (from Horizon Optical) and Ovation (from VisionWorks) are the lense brands. Here are my questions:
    1) For the layman, what are the differences? Is it significant for my prescription?
    2) Since I want 2 pair, do I have to buy both pair with the same brand lense? Why or why not? Would 2 different lense brands be bad for the eyes? (the Ovation lense is cheaper, saving me about 150 bucks with 2 pair)

Thank you in advance...........any other advice is welcome!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    mark89unc,

You will get better advice if you provide some additional information.

Why do you want TWO? One and a backup, or one and a second one for sunglasses?

Do you want to have the same frame twice, or two different frames?

If you have any particular frames in mind, could you post the frame dimensions: A and B, preferably in millimeters (mm). These are dimensions of the eye opening for the lens. "A" is maximum distance from the lens left edge to right edge. "B" is the maximum distance from the lens top to the lens bottom.

Any further comments would have to be from the opticians here.

I'm just an eye patient, like you.

I asked the Board Administrator to delete your duplicate thread in General Discussions. Duplicate posts will only create confusion. Please make any additional posts in this thread in the Progressive Lens Discussion Forum. Thank you.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-12-2005 at 07:57 AM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Why do you want two pairs?

That will be a major factor in the advice I give you.

I can tell you right now that the brand is not as important as the fitter, so make sure you talk to the fitters and feel them out.

Additionally, get an Anti-Reflective coating. Even if you only get it on the one pair the AR coating will give you around 99 percent light transmission when wearing the glasses instead of approximately 92 percent while wearing the glasses. This causes less eye strain, less headaches, ect. For the AR coating there are several good brands and you should stick with them. I will name you a few: Crizal Alize, Zeiss Carat Advantage, Nikon HCC ICE, and Teflon Easy Clean. You discuss these with your Optician and he or she will find you one of those or something similar.

OptiBoard Novice
    I need 2 pair for convenience.............1 pair for outdoor, active use. 1 pair for inside or everyday use. Also have fear of losing a pair. Style is also a factor; a different frame style/color depending on the event would be nice.

The lense size and shape are similar with both frames; both are square/rectangular Flexon by Nike. No round or oval shape. Sorry, don't have the numbers.

The AR coat will be Crizal.

Thanks.............didn't know which forum to start this thread on.

Mark

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Those are somewhat pricey frames, especially if you buy two (regular flexons are similar style but less costly than Nike flexons) As you're worried about losing one, what if instead you buy insurance at time of purchase to protect against accidental scratch/loss/damage? Or some premium credit cards protect you for a year or two if you buy your purchase with it.

Varilux is an entire brand, you'll have to be more specific. (like you saying one is a Toyota and one is a Civic). Actually, ovation is made by the same company, different division, as the varilux brand.

You can learn all that and lots more like I did, just by reading around this forum. An educated consumer is her own best friend.

Occupation
    word of advice, if you want to stay inexpensive spend the money on the lenses over the frames. Yes, you need to get a good quality frame, but there are some inexpensive very good quality frames.

OptiBoard Novice

Varilux Comfort Vs. Ovation

Thank you all for your responses, but here is my additional info.

My lense choices are Varilux Comfort vs. Ovation. My prescription numbers are posted above. The frame dimensions are as follows (I will be picking 2 of these 3):

1) A=50-19, B=34
    2) A=50-21, B=30
    3) A=52-19, B=30

If you can answer my above questions in the first post, I would appreciate it.Here they are again:
    1) For the layman, what are the differences? Is it significant for my prescription?
    2) Since I want 2 pair, do I have to buy both pair with the same brand lense? Why or why not? Would 2 different lense brands be bad for the eyes? (the Ovation lense is cheaper, saving me about 150 bucks with 2 pair)

Tks...........

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mark89unc
    Thank you all for your responses, but here is my additional info.

My lense choices are Varilux Comfort vs. Ovation. My prescription numbers are posted above. The frame dimensions are as follows (I will be picking 2 of these 3):

1) A=50-19, B=34
    2) A=50-21, B=30
    3) A=52-19, B=30

If you can answer my above questions in the first post, I would appreciate it.Here they are again:

Tks...........
    Go with the better fitter. If you think both fitters are equal go with the Ovations. It is a great lens and the comfort is a great lens. Neither will be remarkably better than the other.

OptiBoard Novice
    Mark, my current (18 month old) prescription is identical to yours, and I was not advised, nor was I that interested, in going to PALs with +0.25 for distance. In another thread, I have asked when low hyperopes tend to go to the PALs because I expect my distance and/or add to go up enough at my checkup next month to make PALs desirable if not necessary, and have not gotten much in the way of a conclusive response, but I suspect it is unusual to go into them at such a low distance scrip as +0.25.

I would assume one reason you want to go to PALs is to avoid the problem of needing to get glasses out everytime you want to read something, and others have said that the lesser the add you go progressive, the easier it is to adjust. But since you mention that cost is an issue, have you considered one pair of progressives for indoor/work environment, and having over-the-counter reading glasses for use as needed when in the outdoor or active mode? The distance prescription is slight enough that it does not seem to me switching from glasses to no glasses would cause too many problems.

Please do not interpret this as my questioning what you need or want to get, but I am a bit curious because of the similarity in our prescriptions and want to give you another idea to consider.

Regards, Wally

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Get the least expensive of all of them.......................

Quote Originally Posted by mark89unc
    Absolutely NO difference for you RX. Its all hype and advertisng.

2} WQith you RX you will absolutely not need the expense of purchasing PALS. Stick to some single vision lenses when needed. Your arms are still long enough to do without. I you really want them get the cheapest version.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Absolutely NO difference for you RX. Its all hype and advertisng.

2} WQith you RX you will absolutely not need the expense of purchasing PALS. Stick to some single vision lenses when needed. Your arms are still long enough to do without. I you really want them get the cheapest version.
    I disagree. All progressives are not the same. The basic idea is the same, but the clarity on the sides and the size of the different areas differ tremendously.

I find that many people perfer to have glasses they can wear without removing all the time, glasses that give clear vision at all distances. If he gets reading glasses now then later on when he needs glasses for everything within 2 to 3 feet it will be much harder to adjust to progressives.

Both the Comfort and the Ovation are good progressives. You should do fine with either one. You could get one of each and see which you perfer. Some people have trouble switching between progressives, though. It has never been a problem for me, however.

I suggest you get just one at first and give it a couple of weeks. If money is important and you like both optical places, try the Ovation. If you are happy with it, then get the second pair in the same.

OptiBoard Novice

Smilie

Thank you all for your comments. It has been a big help.

:)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You need to be most picky about the person fitting your glasses. You could pick the best lenses on the market, however, the person fitting it might not know a darn thing about fitting progressives. So, like another person said above, don't get so wrapped up in name brands.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Absolutely pay more attention to the optician, not the lens. A good optician fitting a poor lens will still have you happier and more comfortable than a bad optician fitting a fabulous lens. Don't get sucked into this Brand X vs. Brand Y business. It's too confusing and not worth it. Decide which optician you like working with and feel comfortable with, who seems the most knowledgeable and experienced, and then let them guide you into the best choice for your situation.

Good luck! :cheers:
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You guys did notice that the post was from September 2005, right?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, no.

:shiner:
    It's like being a travel agent... I help people see the world!

Thread Information