Thread: Help choosing between these; Ovation, Sola Max, Natural

OptiBoard Novice

Help choosing between these; Ovation, Sola Max, Natural

Hi all, like this forum! I am needing help deciding between these lenses...Ovation, Sola Max, Natural.. My perscription reads; OD +250, OS +225 add +2.50. I have used progressives for close to 20 years. I am 60 years old and use the computer for hours at a time. I have used Ao Pro before, but the ones I just had made are very uncomfortable...wal-mart. I need a pair of sunglasses also. I would appreciate any and all advice/opinions.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I am NOT a professional, but I understand that among those you mentioned the Solamax has a relatively large near & intermediate area. So the Solamax would be what I'd expect to be best.

What does your ECP say?

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks Skibunny...I had my vision tested at Walmart and am looking at a couple other places...I guess I need to get a better exam.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Helen

As a professional, can I ask a question? Have check with your local private optician? There are much better choices out there, and you want the best service you can receive from someone(who most of the time)has better knowledge and education than those at Walmart.

Just to let you know I have a pair of solamax and natural, and personally I like my naturals better.

christina

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks Christina, No I haven't. I want 2 pair..one sunglasses, and the prices are much higher there.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by helensue
    Thanks Christina, No I haven't. I want 2 pair..one sunglasses, and the prices are much higher there.
    Chicago weather is similar to Toronto. Meaning it's not the sunbelt. So are you aware of Transitions (which can be applied to many lens brands). And/or easy-clip frames which come with a convenient magnetic polarized sun clip.

That way, instead of buying two mediocre set of glasses, for the same money you could buy one quality set, still have sun protection, and I'd expect your eyes & vision would be better off. Don't get two cheapies, at least that is my approach. Transistions means no fumbling for sunglasses. The sunclip provides dark protection against very strong sun plus extends the longevity of the transitions beyond the life of my new glasses.

OptiBoard Novice
    Skibunny, actually I live in Southern Illinois [zone 6] and I have wondered if I would like Transitions, but I am not familiar with the easy-clip or sun clip. Are people generally happy with Transitions?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Everyone I know loves their Transitions. The only ones who are not fully satisfied are in the sun belt, where the sun is very strong and hot.

And you usually have a choice of Grey or Brown Transitions, especially if you go to the right dispenser.

As for EasyClip, they come with a frame and a clip-on polarized sun lens. They are the sun clip-on of choice because they have a patented magnetic system which means you can attach a fully polarized clip in a split second without removing your glasses. There are many lines in the family: EasyClip, Quest, CoolClip, Polo Jockey Club, etc. Over 300 frames so you'll have to shop around to find one you like as most shops can obviously only carry a few on display.

Transitions only lasts 3 years, but you can probably significantly extend the life and effectiveness by having a good AR coating and in particular by using a sun-clip on those long summer days when you're out for a long time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Helen

I wouldn't want to say you can't get inexpensvie good glasses. In private practice it is a known myth or urban legend, that we are the most expensive. Sometime we are, but that is the exception vs the rule. As skibunny said transitions are great especially if combined with a good anti reflective coating. Most retail can get you a ok ar. Your best are Crizal, Caret, Teflon. As for everything by name when doing comparing. If you want to stay with a retail store, ask questions. Make them graph out the progressives. Make them tell you what type of hard coat is on their ar. If they can't tell you, not a good sign. Good luck:)

christina

OptiBoard Novice
    Christina, Thanks..I was just researching Transitions and read that in hot weather they change very little..do you agree? We have very hot summers.

OptiBoard Novice
    Skibunny, I missed your reply ..thanks, I will check out the easyclip. I have had AR coating on my last 2 pair of glasses and hated it, because they were always dirty looking. I don't know what brand it was...is Guardian any good?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Helen

I love my transitions and have used them here in Minnesota and in Florida, and have done fine. As for the ar you mentioned, I've never heard of it.
    Good luck...

You might want to go to www.Crizal.com, for additional ar information

Christina

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I have had AR coating on my last 2 pair of glasses and hated it, because they were always dirty looking. I don't know what brand it was...is Guardian any good?
    Never heard of it. A good AR coating is one of the most important things to purchase in your next set, especially because premium coating costs very little more than standard coating. Owners have told me that their premium coatings (eg. Alize, Carat) make your lens incredibly easy to clean, and get dirty less. As well, AR will enhance the effectiveness and longevity of Transitions. Getting an EasyClip frame helps even more (check eyeglasses.com and others for some sample frame styles).

AR coating will reduce glare and eye fatigue for you, and let others looking at you see your eyes instead of seeing reflections on your glasses. If they're reading glasses, that may not matter, but it does matter in face-to-face contact at work.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also agree with the one quality pair is better than two mediocre. As far as pricing is concerned, I used to work for a major chain. I now work for private practice. My new employer's frames and lenses both run about $20-40 less than what the chain charged. Not only that, but they enforce the manufacturer's warranty. So instead of paying up to half of the current retail price if something should happen to your glasses (ie dog chews them up) you could get them replaced for free or for a small service charge.

We also charge one price for progressives. We only use the premium brands, and the price of those are cheaper than the chain's mid-tier brands...

That isn't even counting the service aspects..

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Arrived at end of line......................

My perscription reads; OD +250, OS +225 add +2.50. I have used progressives for close to 20 years. I am 60 years old and use the computer for hours at a time.
    You have arrived on practical top of the line for the use of Progressives. As you have worn them for a long time you should be ok with any of them provided your optician can fit them very exact.

With an add or +2.50 you will get the smallest reading area these lenses can provide. Looking at the keyboard of your computer you probably will see the letters arranged in a curve instead of being straight. When reading a newpaper you will only see a column at a time and will have to move your head constantly.

Most probably you will at some time down the road puy a pair of regular bifocals with a very large reading segment and the distance adjusted for your computer. This will let you see all these areas without lateral distortion.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks to you all for the help...I guess I need to think about this a little longer.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    cant say that i appreciate the negative comments about Wal-Mart vision centers, implying we dont know what we are doing and that our doctors dont give good exams. totally inacurate, all you stuck up opticians who work for independent OD's. You guys really are a stuck up bunch of individuals!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do believe it was the patient who metioned double checking the exam. While we didn't tell her not to, no one told her the DRs were crap their either.

I think we can all agree that there are good and bad opticians everywhere. Typically the chains limit the selections available in order to get higher discounts and streamline their operations. So product availability is a concern at the chains.

The arguement between private and chain opticians has been played out here in the past, and best left buried. So why don't you post and show us your depth of knowledge and make your mark known on here.

We have many people who have and some still do represent the chains.
    Active posters from the following places frequent and contribute to these boards:

LensCrafters
    Costco
    Pearle
    Walmart

And who knows about some of the lurkers and infrequent posters out there...

So instead of insulting us, please prove the naysayers wrong!

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    First of all, nice reply Cassandra, could not have said it better myself. As for your problem with AR always getting dirty...before you decide to throw away the idea of AR on your next pair, you should now that the biggest problem with old AR is that they did not have an oil repelant coating and as such, they got dirty very easily. New AR like Super Hi Vision from Hoya, Carat Advantage or Teflon from Zeiss, ICE from Nikon, Alize from Essilor, all have oil repelant coatings that keep your lenses from getting dirty. All these coatings are very good, the only one we have had some issues with is the ICE which after a few months tends to lose it's oil repelant properties it seems. These are all premium coatings and as such you will need to spend a little more $ but it also protects your investment as they all come with a 2 year warranty on scratches and peeling. Good luck!!

Thread Information