Thread: Anyone have experience with Extreme H2O?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Anyone have experience with Extreme H2O?

I have been very happy with extreme H2O contacts on my patients. I have found that many of those who had problems with Focus Night and Day, O2 optics etc have loved the extremes. The other issue that I became gradually aware of is that acuvue advance, Focus Night and Day, O2 Optix may have higher Dk values but are not that comfortable on dry eye patients. I have had more success with Proclear or Extreme H2O on the dry eyes. In fact, I have had such good success, in general, with extreme H2O that I have made it into my lens of choice on most patients. It's other advantage is that they provide their lenses exclusively to practitioners and not to every online or retail store around. Has anyone else tried them?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I googled it and found it on the internet with no problems.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've tried it on a few patients with mixed success. Most people complain that they tear easy, or that it's too thick and is not as comfortable as AcuVues.
    I do like the fact you can't buy them easily, however they are not cheap either.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    About 2 years ago the lenses were tearing like crazy; we had a lot of patients that were thrilled with the lenses but annoyed with the wasteage (ie: the lenses tore during insertion or removal). Sometime last year they came up with a new and improved version which was much stronger. Since then I have had no patients mention the problem again. I have a large contact lens practice and therefore have had ample opportunity to try every type of lens available; my impression is that these perform particularly well in patients who have dry eyes or have had trouble tolerating contacts. However, in patients who have signs of corneal anoxia, edema, neovascularization etc I would go with a higher Dk lens. By the way, these lenses can not be obtained at Walmart, Costco, Sears etc. Therefore, the patients remain in the practice and come in for their routine annual exams. As opposed to acuvue patients who often are lost to 1800contacts and never come in anymore.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Another problem that I have with the lens is because patients can't buy them at Wal Mart or 1800contacts, they often come back in requesting to be put into something different.

I like the concept of exclusive sales, however patients get annoyed by it!

I can't say that I blame them. How would you feel if you went somewhere that only gave you a product that could be purchased from them...you'd feel trapped!

I have and do fit Extreme H2O's, but usually on new wearers and people who complain of dryness. New wearers aren't aware of contacts over the internet or how thinner lenses feel, and those with dryness usually benefit too.

And you are right about the newer lenses not tearing. I tend to fit the STP base curves too because teh MED slides too much and patients don't like it when they feel them move.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I view Acuvue as an "industrial strength" contact lens designed for the masses. It's not particularly good for dry eyes or for patients predisposed to anoxia. It's not the most comfortable lens out there but it suffices for most people. I practice in a hot, dry environment in which many of my CL patients suffer from dry eyes. After I explain the benefits of Extreme H2O I have found that most patients are happy to receive it and I've never had a patient complain about not finding them elsewhere. Over time it became my first lens of choice for all new patients. I use Soflens 66 and Proclear as my first-line torics.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ilan,

My small-sample-sized experience with Extreme H20 and Proclear was that they were not significantly better. I've trusted those results, and haven't used them. I do know, however, many reputable fitters who swear by the lenses, and I'd guess you are in that group.

Ditto on the Acuvue 2. It's days are over.

As to the silicone hydrogels, I feel the Advance formulation is not significantly better for dry eye patients. It seems to be best suited to those who are successful with traditional HEMA materials. The jury is out on the beefed-up Oasys, as to whether increased PVP will make it less dry. I've noticed there is the "Acuvue 1-day Moist" in the pipeline, which could be THE dry eye lens (if it is affordable).

02 Optyx and other surface treated S/H lenses with very low water content seem to be, to me at least, the lenses of choice for dry eye patients.

I may need to revisit the Extreme H20 or Proclear material.

Thread Information