Thread: Non-professional seeking general advice on switching lens brands

OptiBoard Apprentice

Wave Non-professional seeking general advice on switching lens brands

hi, new forum member here! I've been Googling around trying to find info on lens brands and frames my optical company has suggested, and found this great forum, so thought maybe I could get a few expert tips.

I've been happily wearing progressives for about 8-9 years, they were my first type of bi/trifocal glasses when I changed from single vision. I had no trouble adapting, did it in one day basically, and have always had (I think) Sola lenses. Last time I got new glasses about 2.5 yrs ago, I first got the high index lenses (Sola VIP Gold) with anti-reflective coating. I like them fine. I had a second pair made just for variety then (same lens, just without the coating), and they don't work quite as well just because there isn't as much reading area, so they aren't really comfortable for reading and I only wear them for going out or something when I won't be reading a lot. The optician thought they'd be okay, but they weren't (too trendy, smaller frames, but not super small).

Now I need new glasses, just a minor prescription change, and I am tired of my old frames, anyway. I learned from problems I had then that I cannot get too small a frame, regardless of what others try to tell you, it just isn't comfortable for reading.

My current frame I wear most of the time is about 36 mm entire height of the lens; I think the ones that don't work so well are only about 30 mm. I don't know the exact height of the reading part, but think it's about 22-23 mm on the larger pair, which is fine.

I've always used For Eyes happily for 20 years, but they've changed personnel a lot around me and I am not that impressed with any of their current opticians who actually give the advice and tell you what kind of lens they think you should have. I have always found their return policy and customer service great, and prices and quality good. Now this time, the optician working there tells me they don't sell Sola VIP GOLD any more (! they've had SOLA for years) and that I should switch to Kodak Concise. I have picked a pair of frames out that I think will work, the height is about 34 mm of the lens. She said something about how Kodak Concise will be better because it's a slightly smaller frame, etc. (but nothing like the real small ones) and somehow it will give more reading area. I don't know Kodak's quality in eyeglass lenses, never heard of anyone else using them and am suspicious since I read Kodak may be giving them rebates.

I have unusual eyes in that they are very different strengths (the high-index helps even the thicknesses), and I've worn glasses since age 17 for nearsightedness, so have never experienced this farsightedness a lot of people do past age 45. I can read without my glasses, if I have to (and sometimes do, for very small print), but do use the middle section A LOT as I work on a computer many hours a day and play the piano, so that is about the same distance for reading the music. Of course, I need the distance for driving, etc. In short, I wear them all the time, all day.

My new prescription:
    OD -5.75 -1.00 x080
    OS -1.50 -1.25 x120
    (ADD 2.00)

This is just a slight change from the last one, mainly the reading is a little bit stronger.

Another optical place quoted me about the same price for Varilux Panamic lenses w/AR as For Eyes did for the Kodak. I've heard about Varilux a lot, but that was sort of a confusion as I told that optician by mistake that my current lenses were Varilux, and he checked and said they were (but they WEREN'T, they were SOLA). I have a friend who swears by Zeiss, and I suppose they are very good, but would be more expensive.

I never realized this was so complicated until I started reading about all the different corridors, etc., things. I've had a couple opticians tell me when I've been frame shopping about how I can wear a smaller frame with certain lenses as they have a bigger reading area, etc. I said, I don't understand that, whatever you say about how they are made, I can look at the frame myself and see that physically, it CANNOT give you a greater reading area than exists, it's impossible, so something has got to go. The frame is literally smaller in height, you CAN'T get the same reading area as a larger frame unless you raise the middle section (which would really cause problems as that is the normal place for me to view things) and take it away from the middle and/or the distance. I don't read looking through the middle or top of my glasses. Other people tell me if I get really good lenses like Zeiss, I can somehow magically be able to see better with a smaller frame even though the area is smaller.

Okay, I know I don't know what I'm talking about, but that's the way I view it as a layperson -- how can I get the same reading area if the frame is physically smaller, this seems impossible to me. None of several opticians who've tried to tell me that (when I've been shopping for frames) can actually explain in any terms I can understand how that is possible when I voice my questions and concerns. I told them I already have one pair that is slightly smaller in height and I already can't read well enough out of them, so I sure am not going to go to these smaller frames they are suggesting which are trendy for younger people.

Long post, just looking for any general advice on whether going from SOLA VIP Gold to Kodak Concise would be a good idea, versus going to Varilux Panamic or even Zeiss if that will be best. I'm not super price-sensitive, but don't want to pay hundreds more for Zeiss if there's no good reason to.

Thanks!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It is not only complicated for the non-professional. It is also complicated for the professional.

There are so many products out there that it is tough to see the forrest from the trees.

So, this is the way I like to put it: All other things being equal company A's best Progressive lens is equal to company B's best progressive lens (this only applies for companies that have several lenses). Therefore:

Varilux Panamic = Kodak Concise = Sola One = Zeiss Gradal top ect.

VIP Gold = Essilor Natural = Essilor Adapter = Navigator, ect.

Now, I am not saying that one they are all exactly the same. I am saying that the benefits are pretty darn close.

Further more, all of that means nothing if the fitting is poor. A poorly fit premium progressive is worse than a well fit cheap progressive.

My suggestion is to talk to the staff of the stores and go with the opinion of the members who make you feel the most confident. It is their job to pick the best lens for your needs and it is your job to pick the best fitter for your needs. If you pick the best person you will get the best solution.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    If you want large reading and intermediate areas, and you're used to Sola, maybe someone can comment on the SolaMax lens. I understand it's not great for distance, which doesn't matter as you can use your existing "trendy" progressives for that.

I understood that 30 mm was plenty large nowadays, with today's lens designs (most of which are 18mm fitting height). But again, a professional could better advise.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina

but that's the way I view it as a layperson -- how can I get the same reading area if the frame is physically smaller, this seems impossible to me. None of several opticians who've tried to tell me that (when I've been shopping for frames) can actually explain in any terms I can understand how that is possible when I voice my questions and concerns. I told them I already have one pair that is slightly smaller in height and I already can't read well enough out of them, so I sure am not going to go to these smaller frames they are suggesting which are trendy for younger people.

Long post, just looking for any general advice on whether going from SOLA VIP Gold to Kodak Concise would be a good idea, versus going to Varilux Panamic or even Zeiss if that will be best. I'm not super price-sensitive, but don't want to pay hundreds more for Zeiss if there's no good reason to.

Thanks!
    There is a whole slew of progressive lenses out there. Some of the designs are specifically made for the smaller frames. Typically you give up some of the intermediate (computer use) area or you don't have as much distance viewing available.

I don't have a lot of experience with Ziess. I know they have a good reputation, but that is all I know for now..

Varilux, I have had great success with, and they are typically considered the Cadillac of the lenses. I have not had a single non-adapt with Varilux.

Solamax is also a great lens. It can be fit as low as 18 mm, and I have had great success with them as well. I have had a few non-adapts, but not many. Some people feel they compromise a bit on the distance, but this has never prompted any of the returns I have experience with. The SolaOne is the newer design in the Sola family.

Many opticians work with select brands. Its either what they know, or what their preferred lab carries, or they get discounts in pricing for bulk, or a combination of all the above...

As was said earlier, the premium design in one family is very comparable to the premium design of another. (Zeiss, Varilux, Sola, Shamir, or Kodak)

The best indicator for sucess is finding an optician you can work with who can explain to you the reason behind their choice of lens, and one you have confidence in. IF you think that something won't work.. it won't. Plain and simple.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you can get Varilux Panamic for the same price as Kodak Concise, I suggest you get the Panamic. My experience with the Concise is that it is very swimmy and lots of people don't like it. Of the four opticians in my store that have tried it only one likes it. She will also tell you that she can wear any progressive. The Concise is also designed for small frames.

My main glasses now are the Concise since I lost my glasses with SolaOne (don't bend over when your glasses are tucked into the neckline of your shirt ). I perfer the SolaOne, but I can wear the Concise without any problems as I am not real picky. I will tell you that 3 out of 5 opticians in my store won't sell it unless the patient is already wearing it.

Kodak does make a couple of good progressives that would work well in deeper frames. The standard Kodak is good and the newer Precise also works well.

And yes, you do get more reading area in a deeper frame.
    Last edited by Happylady; 09-09-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you dont care abut the thickness of your lenses please stay with Sola Vip Gold lens!!!

It is my understanding that this was one of the best progressive lenses for quite a few years. I had and still have most of my customers wear Sola products (VIP and XL) which are lower line from Gold.
    they are good lenses.
    I would not be surprised if you would hate Varilux Panamic!
    The most important things are the right frame and right measurements!!!!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice

thanks

I hope this gets in the same thread, I"m a little confusing on replying.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions. I sort of figured if you get more reading area, something had to be taken away, and I can't lose my midrange or distance vision. I don't want to be changing glasses during the day, so don't want anything that would involve having to change glasses for driving (or just walking, actually, my distance vision is for many things, even interacting in meetings or reading things on the wall). The smaller ones I have are not even that trendy small -- I made a mistake and they are about 32 mm, not 30.

I would like to find a really good professional who can explain why they chose something, but I do not have real confidence I'm going to, at this point. I've been to about 3-4 chain guys (Pearle and For Eyes), and went back to the expensive downtown boutique where my optometrist works but where I've never bought glasses as they are so expensive. I haven't detected any great difference in advice or service in any of these places, even the expensive one. None of the personnel gave very good advice, just seemed to have an idea already of what they wanted to sell you. I actually was disappointed in my expensive boutique as I expected more from them, but I do like my optometrist there very much.

I am thinking I'll try the Varilux, that seems the best midrange choice. Nobody has proposed Zeiss as being so great that it's worth it (and one optician said it took a lot longer to get them). One Pearle guy I went to yesterday was now pushing Proceed, saying it's the best, he gets fewest complaints.

I don't think the Sola VIP GOld is so thiick, and that doesn't bother me. A higher index might give me more distortion, I think. It is 1.56 and the Varilux (and Zeiss Gradal Top) is 1.60, so that's a little thinner. I don't feel any need to go to 1.69 or whatever the next level is. I've had two people now tell me they don't sell the Sola VIP Gold any more, wonder what that's about.

The new frames I picked out aren't smaller than my old ones, so I don't have to worry about that. I sure have learned a lot about markup on frames, though, by shopping around. Yikes!!! I've seen the same Innovative frames with sunglass clipons ranging from $100 to $260.

Lenny, why do you think I'd hate the Varilux if I'm used to Sola VIP Gold? That's what I'm thinking I'll get.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    but do use the middle section A LOT as I work on a computer many hours a day and play the piano, so that is about the same distance for reading the music.

My new prescription:
    OD -5.75 -1.00 x080
    OS -1.50 -1.25 x120
    (ADD 2.00)
    I would consider using a separate pair of glasses for frequent, semi-close tasks.

There should be some discussion concerning the induced vertical prism imbalance that will be present in the intermediatte and reading zones with multifocals.

Discuss the above with your doctor and optician before you proceed any further.

Hope this helps
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Progressives... I have personally worn 6 or 7 different brands. I have not seen a lot of difference between them. The most important is to find a frame that is comfortable and is prefit before the lenses are measured. I prefer the long corridor vs the short ones.

Proper measurements are the most important regardless of whatever type of progressive is offered. If you were happy with your first progressive do not change. I have always found that if it is not broken do not change it. Why fix it!!

Another consideration is as you grow older the channel of the progressive becomes more narrow. You will need to consider your lifestlye. What type of work you do etc when selecting new lenses.

I have my progrssives sitting most of the time on my desk. Since I started using the computer a lot I made myself a pair of computer glasses.

Why stick a lot of dollars into only one pair of glasses?!! I get tired of wearing the same ones all the time. Buy several different ones for different uses!! Reading in bed. Watching TV. Playing golf etc.

Fashion is great!! Make your plastic lenses thinner. In your RX they will be more appealing to you by making the right match the thickness of the left.

Another very important factor is to go to an optician that will address your needs and wants and to someone that has experience.

I hope that I have answered some of your questions!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Compare progrssives to gasoline......................

Thanks!
    If you car is visibly running better on Shell gas than on Exxon you have the problem of choosing a certain brand of progressives.

If your car runs good on gas that you pump from any gas station along the highway, you should have no problem choosing a progressive lens. They are all the same and do all work the same way and on the same principle. Maybe some minor differences that you will never notice.

It is all advertising hype by the manufacturers the consumer is cought in to choose a brand name that provides the same results as the other brand.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I haven't been here in a while, just wanted to say thanks for the opinions. As for Chris' quote on the gas -- that's sort of what I suspected, and I am not real picky about brands in general, and will use any gas, so maybe it doesn't matter so much. I haven't had to make a decision but now do, as I was waiting to get the frames I had mail-ordered and they just arrived.

I appreciate the thoughts, but I absolutely will not change my lifestyle so that I need to have a bunch of different glasses for different purposes that I have to carry around and take on and off. I just won't do it. I have no trouble right now with one type of lens and prescription for all my purposes, so why should I have to change that when my prescription has just changed a very little. Maybe it will be different when I get older, I don't know.

Perhaps some people have different habits than I do but I never have an occasion when I am only using one kind of vision. If I am working on a computer, I also have to be responding to people who come in my office, walk down the hall to other rooms and meetings, read things, look at things on the whiteboard on the wall, go search for things in my files, etc. I am never just sitting and only doing one thing. If I read, I may also be watching TV a bit, and actually getting up to go get something or go elsewhere.

I do like having a couple pair of glasses for different styles of frames but not because I want a special pair for reading, a special pair for watching TV, a special pair for driving, a special pair for walking, a special pair for cooking, etc. I just won't do that and don't want to, and don't accept that as the only solution.

thanks all

Christina:hammer:

I

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    If you car is visibly running better on Shell gas than on Exxon you have the problem of choosing a certain brand of progressives.

If your car runs good on gas that you pump from any gas station along the highway, you should have no problem choosing a progressive lens. They are all the same and do all work the same way and on the same principle. Maybe some minor differences that you will never notice.

It is all advertising hype by the manufacturers the consumer is cought in to choose a brand name that provides the same results as the other brand.

Rising Star
    Christina:

Eyewear is just like jewelry. You wear different eyewear with different colors of clothes or for that matter for different occasions.

Look at Elton John. He has many styles of frames for different occasions.

I have many pairs of eyewear because I consider them to be a fashion item just like the many pairs of shoes or outfits that I own.

I hope you will not tell me you only have one pair of shoes or one piece of jewelry etc.

As for the prescriptions I dislike very much having to watch TV in bed through a pair of progresives. I have a TV pair for viewing things at a distance. Why limit yourself. Get out there and buy, buy, buy! You have different wants as well as needs!
    :)

Rising Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    If you can get Varilux Panamic for the same price as Kodak Concise, I suggest you get the Panamic. My experience with the Concise is that it is very swimmy and lots of people don't like it. Of the four opticians in my store that have tried it only one likes it. She will also tell you that she can wear any progressive. The Concise is also designed for small frames.

My main glasses now are the Concise since I lost my glasses with SolaOne (don't bend over when your glasses are tucked into the neckline of your shirt ). I perfer the SolaOne, but I can wear the Concise without any problems as I am not real picky. I will tell you that 3 out of 5 opticians in my store won't sell it unless the patient is already wearing it.

Kodak does make a couple of good progressives that would work well in deeper frames. The standard Kodak is good and the newer Precise also works well.

And yes, you do get more reading area in a deeper frame.

Are the fitting height requirement the same for antyhing at the same level from other brands that is equivalent to Varilux Panamic?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by amanda
    Are the fitting height requirement the same for antyhing at the same level from other brands that is equivalent to Varilux Panamic?
    hi, Amanda -- I'm not sure, I think they are about the same. The fitting height isn't really an issue for me because I don't intend to buy frames that are so small that there is a problem with that. The frames I'm getting have 20-22 mm and all are adequate with that.

As for Elton John, sorry, but I'm not going to buy a bunch of different glasses because of jewelry and Mr. John. Actually, that contradicts the proposition that the glasses are supposed to serve different purposes--if they were a fashion item, you would be choosing them based on your style and outfit and what you were doing (ie, business meeting versus clubbing) and would be wearing them all day based on the color of your outfit or whether you were dressed formally or casually.

My personal issue is that it is too much trouble to have a bunch of different glasses for different purposes. I don't want to carry around a bunch of different glasses with me wherever I go. And I actually like viewing TV through my progressives, it doesn't bother me at all, it's perfectly comfortable. I"m low maintenance, I don't want to have a lot of different glasses I have to keep track of and wear for different reasons. I also don't want the discomfort that will come from only wearing one kind that is for one purpose when you have anything thing to do for a few minutes and don't feel like switching glasses for a minute to the other pair.

I know a guy down the hall from me has 3-4 pair of glasses, and has them spread all over his desk. He is always forgetting which pair is where or forgetting one kind at home, etc. When he wears his computer glasses and then looks up to talk to me for something, he says he can't see me very well, that anything beyond 6 feet or so is just a blur.

As I said, maybe some people just sit and do one thing for hours on end, and such a scheme would suit them, but it doesn't me. I also really don't like the idea of your vision only being good at one range unless you switch glasses. LIke if I go to a ballet, I need the distance for seeing the stage, but the reading for the program. I think when I say I use the computer a lot, people are envisioning that I am a computer programmer who just sits and stares at a computer screen for hours on end and is only viewing things at one distance. It's just a tool to me that I need for my work, no different than a pencil.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The frames I'm getting have 20-22 mm and all are adequate with that.

As for Elton John, sorry, but I'm not going to buy a bunch of different glasses because of jewelry and Mr. John. Actually, that contradicts the proposition that the glasses are supposed to serve different purposes--if they were a fashion item, you would be choosing them based on your style and outfit and what you were doing (ie, business meeting versus clubbing) and would be wearing them all day based on the color of your outfit or whether you were dressed formally or casually.
    At 22 mm you will have a plethora of suitable designs, which is great!

I once dispensed Elton John, and by far he was the most outragous in terms of style, number of dispenses in 1 sitting and flamboyance. I took me about a hour to total up the order value! Really nice fella too

Rising Star
    hi, Amanda -- I'm not sure, I think they are about the same. The fitting height isn't really an issue for me because I don't intend to buy frames that are so small that there is a problem with that. The frames I'm getting have 20-22 mm and all are adequate with that.

My personal issue is that it is too much trouble to have a bunch of different glasses for different purposes. I don't want to carry around a bunch of different glasses with me wherever I go. And I actually like viewing TV through my progressives, it doesn't bother me at all, it's perfectly comfortable. I"m low maintenance, I don't want to have a lot of different glasses I have to keep track of and wear for different reasons. I also don't want the discomfort that will come from only wearing one kind that is for one purpose when you have anything thing to do for a few minutes and don't feel like switching glasses for a minute to the other pair.

I know a guy down the hall from me has 3-4 pair of glasses, and has them spread all over his desk. He is always forgetting which pair is where or forgetting one kind at home, etc. When he wears his computer glasses and then looks up to talk to me for something, he says he can't see me very well, that anything beyond 6 feet or so is just a blur.

As I said, maybe some people just sit and do one thing for hours on end, and such a scheme would suit them, but it doesn't me. I also really don't like the idea of your vision only being good at one range unless you switch glasses. LIke if I go to a ballet, I need the distance for seeing the stage, but the reading for the program. I think when I say I use the computer a lot, people are envisioning that I am a computer programmer who just sits and stares at a computer screen for hours on end and is only viewing things at one distance. It's just a tool to me that I need for my work, no different than a pencil.
    Clothes are a fashion item as well as so many other items including jewelry, eyeglasses, sunglasses. I for one will not limit myself to one suit of clothes, one set of underwear, one ring, one pair of eyeglasses, one pair of shoes. I like style!! I guess it all depends on your moods!!

I for one like Elton John! He is so cool!
    :)

The Hi-End PALs Specialist Bobie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs up Rodenstock Impression ILT XS 1.74 is the best choice in this case.

Dear Christina ,

• Your Rx is
    OD -5.75 -1.00 x080
    OS -1.50 -1.25 x120
    (ADD 2.00).

This Rx have Anisometropia more than 1.25D , that not suitable for PALs front surface. You will have much more performance of vision if you going for Free From PALs like Varilux Ipseo 1.67 , Rodenstock Impression ILT / ILT XS 1.67 , Hoyalux iD 1.7 , SolaOne 1.67 , AO Easy 1.67 , Seiko Super P-1-1.67 or Shamir Autograph 1.67.

• In case that you would like to save your money , you can going for Rodenstock Progressiv AT 1.6 , Rodenstock Progressiv Life2 -1.6 , Rodenstock Progressiv Life XS 1.6 , Rodenstock Multigressiv2 – 1.6 , Varilux Panamic 1.6 , Varilux Comfort 1.6 , Hoyalux Summit pro 1.6

• Rodenstock Progressiv AT 1.6 , Rodenstock Progressiv Life2 -1.6 , Rodenstock Progressiv Life XS 1.6 , Rodenstock Multigressiv2 – 1.6 can correct vertical prismatic effect from Anisometropia.

• The best choice in small frame for you in value is Rodenstock Impression ILT XS 1.74. This is the world best PALs for small frame the world can get for today. You can choose any frame you like that can be only high 24 mm at fitting height 16 mm and still have very good intermediate zone for computer , have very wide angle of far vision , very comfortable for all day long , big reading area , instant adaptation and outstanding from every short corridor PALs for today. This lens you can order to make the same thickness for both lenses to look not difference and thinnest now.

• Varilux Ipseo 1.67 is the outstanding from every PALs at fitting height 18mm that can fit in small frame height only 26 mm. But the price of Ipseo is 2 time more expensive than Impression ILT 1.74

• My conclusion for you is Impression ILT XS 1.74 that more than double better if you compare with SOLA VIP in every point.
    " Life is too short to limit your vision"

ISOPTIK : The Hi-End Eyeglasses Centre
    494 ERAWAN BANGKOK 4th floor
    Ratchaprasong , Bangkok , Thailand 10330
    isoptik@gmail.com
    www.isoptik.com
    Hotline & SMS : +66 81 538-4200
    Fax. : +66 2 251-3770

:cheers:

Thread Information