Thread: Rebuilding The Gulf Coast

Bad address email on file

Rebuilding The Gulf Coast

I know this subject is a little ahead of its time but when I look at the news pictures I wonder what happens to all the trash in New Orleans when they go in to clean up. I am not just talking about paper and garbage but all the houses and their contents, cars, office buildings, concrete, chemicals, etc. And is it possible to use a lot of that material as land fill and raise the height of the city, but then what happens to underground infrastructure?

Seattle Washington had raised the ground levelback in the late eighteen hundreds by about twelve feet because it was also located in a bowl. In fact when you tour the downtown they take you in to buildings where the first floor or what was the first floor is now under ground.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you really think the mayor of New Orleans is that smart? I understand that the liquids, chemicals, bacteria, waste and all are being pumped into
    Lake Ponchatrain. Suspect a lot of solid matherial will go into the same place.

Chip

I would think you would have to pump the water into lake Ponchatrain and hopefully clean it up at a later date, your only other choice would be to pump it into the ocean.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Apparently the reason it's going into Ponchatrain is because the facilities don't exist to pump it into the Mississippi. Ponchatrain is open to the ocean though in a limited way. I think the best they can hope for is:

1. complete 'death' of Ponchatrain
    2. slow release of the waste/toxins to the Mississippi Sound
    3. extensive die offs in the sound and surrounding areas
    4. limited die offs in adjacent areas, including along the Mississippi/Alabama coasts and out into the Gulf.

I understand that the water they're pumping out of N.O. has surprisingly high levels of lead and other heavy metals and I wonder if this will contaminate the inshore fisheries (shrimp) to the point that the sea life is inedible.

I sure hope not.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    My greatest fear is that the remediation of the area will be driven by political rather than engineering considerations.

My greatest hope is the realization that the environment has a remarkable ability to recover.

Life goes on.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lake Ponchetrain was at least 1/3 dead from polution before the hurricaine. In fact had it not been for the N.O. part of the disaster, Katrina might have cleaned (purged) it out.

Their is enough left of New Orleans and enough people who are willing to move back into N.O. to rebuild. The plan is to chop up the concrete and asphalt burn the rest and rebuild the houses on stilts. Their is also talk of putting a dike similar to Hollands.

Bad address email on file Lynne's Avatar

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by ken@foothills
    Their is enough left of New Orleans and enough people who are willing to move back into N.O. to rebuild. The plan is to chop up the concrete and asphalt burn the rest and rebuild the houses on stilts. Their is also talk of putting a dike similar to Hollands.
    Now that would be smarter - bring in the Dutch engineers, they have been living at and below sea level for centuries! Anyone been to Holland? Love it! Mind you haven't been there since '71, when it was still oh so clean and rural. Except for Amsterdam of course - where they have the BEST Indonesian restaurants! Yummy...

They should also allow the wetlands to become re-established, so they can do the job that Mother Nature intended for them to do, or so I've read somewhere! What a massive undertaking though, it must be so daunting for those wondering where to begin. Just hope that its not throwing good money after bad by rebuilding though. Maybe should just move further inland....

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Watch for something scarey there, the mayor, the govenor and the president are beginning to say nice complimentary things about each other.

The shiping docks are receiving the first loads of grain. Predictions of 70/80% port function by mid-October. Bars in the Quarter starting to function (one or two stayed open even during the hurricaine).

Some hotels in Diamond Head are open. Hotels in N.O. expect to be functioning in 3 months.

Chip

Thread Information