Thread: Did anyone even read my post?

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Did anyone even read my post?

Gosh did anyone even bother to read my post under the "Aid to Katrina" topic that was made a political debate and closed?!! I actually had some good information if someone bothered to read instead of going off about right wing left wing garbage. My post actually did NOT even have anything political to do with anything. I was in all reality trying to see if anyone knew anyone in Memphis that needed a job so that I might offer my assistance. Surely in the 12,000-13,000 people that we have here and expected to go higher we might have an optician who might be sitting in some hotel or shelter who might know one of you and need a job. I guess I thought wrong.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Be of good cheer, I am sure there are a lot of displaced opticians from N.O. and the Mississippi Coast. Most aren't settled down enough to play with the internet yet.

Chip:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Someone actually closed a thread here because it was political?
    J. R. Smith

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS
    Someone actually closed a thread here because it was political?
    I have decided to stop posting in this part of the forum. Everything seems to descend into the same argument by the same people.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To anyone interested-The thread in question.............

With apology to Stephanie for going breifly off topic.

To anyone interested, the thread in question was closed because some of the participants went outside the posting guidelines, NOT because it was political. It is unfortunate that, in the heat of disagreement, our posting guidelines are forgotten. When the guidelines are breached, it is to the detriment of the entire board.

I say this because I have heard from 2 people today who want to post opportunities for those in Katrina affected areas, but are afraid to post here because of the rancour shown by some of our less than considerate members. I wish those who would carry on those childish diatribes would do so by private message or personal email. They do a disservice to Optiboard by showing off their small narrow minds in public.It is indeed unfortunate when one of our colleagues says they are afraid to post something.

Please take a moment to read the description of this forum (Just Conversation) and you will get an idea of what is supposed to appear here.It's an opportunity to get to know one another on a social basis, outside of optics, not to beat each other's brains in.

Political disagreements are fine when argued on merits. Personal attacks are not, and won't be tolerated any longer.Why should moderators have to waste time highlighting problem areas. There are more important tasks for us to perform and we're sick of baby sitting a few troublemakers who lack the common courtesy to fight it out in private.

If any member is not happy with the posting guidelines as they are written, they are cordially invited to go to another website.

harry j
    Last edited by hcjilson; 09-07-2005 at 04:32 AM. Reason: typo
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    I have decided to stop posting in this part of the forum. Everything seems to descend into the same argument by the same people.
    Yeah I try to avoid this section now too. Its the same people saying the same things and accomplishing nothing. :finger:

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    As a moderator of this forum (and usually one who finds enjoyment from its contents), the reticence of people to post here is disappointing- especially on political subjects, which are of a particular interest to me.

Personally, I think we actually have some interesting political debates here. I'd be disingenuous if I didn't admit that my own feelings get a bit bent out of shape during some of these debates- but I've never felt I was unduly or overly "attacked." That said, I do sometimes find comments from individuals in both political camps that could have better been left unsaid (or untyped, as the case may be).

Just Conversation has historically been one of the liveliest forums on this site. It would be a shame if it goes unutilized because some of us are incapable of debating in a civilized manner.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    perhaps a democrat v republican section could be introduced for those who have strong political views, leaving this section free for its original purpose.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    With apology to Stephanie for going breifly off topic.

To anyone interested, the thread in question was closed because some of the participants went outside the posting guidelines, NOT because it was political. It is unfortunate that, in the heat of disagreement, our posting guidelines are forgotten. When the guidelines are breached, it is to the detriment of the entire board.

I say this because I have heard from 2 people today who want to post opportunities for those in Katrina affected areas, but are afraid to post here because of the rancour shown by some of our less than considerate members. I wish those who would carry on those childish diatribes would do so by private message or personal email. They do a disservice to Optiboard by showing off their small narrow minds in public.It is indeed unfortunate when one of our colleagues says they are afraid to post something.

Please take a moment to read the description of this forum (Just Conversation) and you will get an idea of what is supposed to appear here.It's an opportunity to get to know one another on a social basis, outside of optics, not to beat each other's brains in.

Political disagreements are fine when argued on merits. Personal attacks are not, and won't be tolerated any longer.Why should moderators have to waste time highlighting problem areas. There are more important tasks for us to perform and we're sick of baby sitting a few troublemakers who lack the common courtesy to fight it out in private.

If any member is not happy with the posting guidelines as they are written, they are cordially invited to go to another website.

harry j
    well said Harry :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't come on optiboard much anymore. It it mostly because of the aruments. I didn't mean that people from NO on the internet....I meant maybe someone from OB may know an optician from NO or Biloxi or one of the areas that was in Memphis that you may know about. That is actually what I meant by not reading my post. It felt to me like it was more important to have a debate. With that said, thank you for the apology, there was no need but I appreciate it. I guess with so much going on around here right now ( Memphis is crazy; America in general is) I got a little emotional about it. We have had people pouring in left and right. It is so sad. I can't even say 'I know how you feel' because I don't. I am not even sure what to say. I have asked several if I can help. Some act ashamed. Some act like they can't believe you want to help them. Some I think just want someone to talk to. It is really sad. That is all I can say.

God Bless,

Steph

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steph,
    I did read your post and was dismayed that I started the melee that ensued. I noticed that nobody had addressed the devastation yet or inquired of the OBers in the Gulf area and took it upon myself to start it. I remember the days fondly when we bound together when tragedies happened as a community-9/11, the London bombings, Tsunami, etc.

I think we need to be reminded as Harry so eloquently put it that we must always be:

1. Respectful of others
    2. Kind in our words
    Even in bars when it digresses they know to take it outside. Maybe we should adopt a code TIO (take it outside) and mention the members names in the thread? That is their cue to cool off before they post further.

Steph, I applaud your offer to help and sincerely hope that you can avail yourself of it. If you do get to help let us know as we would be thrilled to hear of it.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie
    I don't come on optiboard much anymore. It it mostly because of the aruments. I didn't mean that people from NO on the internet....I meant maybe someone from OB may know an optician from NO or Biloxi or one of the areas that was in Memphis that you may know about. That is actually what I meant by not reading my post. It felt to me like it was more important to have a debate. With that said, thank you for the apology, there was no need but I appreciate it. I guess with so much going on around here right now ( Memphis is crazy; America in general is) I got a little emotional about it. We have had people pouring in left and right. It is so sad. I can't even say 'I know how you feel' because I don't. I am not even sure what to say. I have asked several if I can help. Some act ashamed. Some act like they can't believe you want to help them. Some I think just want someone to talk to. It is really sad. That is all I can say.

God Bless,

Steph
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Cindy, thanks for the kind words...yea I do remember the good old days. Whatever became of them? Anyway...back to hurricane evacuees...we are getting several in our store. WM is getting most in our area since everyone knows WM no one knows us. We have been able to help a few with some repairs. Most don't expect a hand out just want help with current gls problem. Just like any other pt would. We were told we can do cost +10% for them. Which is what we do for employees. Locally own business is giving free eye exams and gls. High end stuff too!! I thought that was pretty cool. I have been hearing a lot of charitable stuff around town. I was in the beauty shop this morning having my haircut, and the owner came in and told my hairdresser that she met a family from NO, and to let them have any service they wanted. Everyday it seems is a new experience. My co-worker was repairing this man's gls yesterday when him and I started talking to this man. He said I am from NO I guess you can say I am displaced, or a refugee, or evacuee whatever they are calling us. I said how about American. He said he liked that one best. One bad thing one of the local police told me is that a lot of the locals are breaking in to the evacuees cars in the parking lots of the motels and shelters and churches. Now how low down can you get to kick them when they are down? That is what is going on in Memphis.

God Bless!!

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steph,

Have you contacted your local Lion's Club? I am certain a lot of the evacuees or survivors (as Oprah called them when I watched her show on Tuesday) are probably being funnelled through them. When I was a manager at Wal-Mart I always sought out the LC to work with them. We offered the basic starting price point on frame and lenses (only lined bifocals) and did what extras we could for free-tints, UV, edge polish, etc. Occassionally, I gave them the thinner lenses and ate the difference if the RX was extreme.

It might be a good place for you to start.
    ~Cindy

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Heard that in Vicksburg they are having opposite negative comments. A local Vicksburg cartoonist wrote: " Our gentle local crackheads don't like those violent crackheads from N.O. at all."

Chip

Here locally things seem to be fine. Traffic actually seemed to move more smoothly and people were more polite (with a few exceptions) when the traffic lights were not working. When (usually an imported) businessperson did something we concidered to be incompatable with our Southern Hospitality, they were quickly centured or prosecuted (i.e. price gouging, or refusing lodgeing or aid when funds ran out.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yea, I will keep Lion's club in mind. Thanks Cindy. No, other than the traffic is really bad things seem to be fine here(as fine as they are for Memphis you knowLOL) We have heard of a few things on the news of local businesses taking advantage of people...honestly, they are probably the ones who do anyway. Laura Bush was here yesterday. It took me 40 minutes to get home when it should only take no more than 10-15!! Oh well...Oh and here the gas is still $2.87. Hey, talk about price gouging!! Steph

Thread Information