Thread: transitions or crizal?

OptiBoard Novice

transitions or crizal?

hello.

I am i eyewear consumer and I was wondering which lens offers the most and which is cheaper.

I recently got crizal lenses but I have been having headaches.
    also, I remember reading that crizal only lasts for on year, is this true?

I am contemplating getting transitions and just getting no scratch anti-coating.

any advice would be greatly welcomed.
    thanks.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by aramirez
    hello.

I am i eyewear consumer and I was wondering which lens offers the most and which is cheaper.

I recently got crizal lenses but I have been having headaches.
    also, I remember reading that crizal only lasts for on year, is this true?

I am contemplating getting transitions and just getting no scratch anti-coating.

any advice would be greatly welcomed.
    thanks.
    they are two different products.

But lets first tackle the myth, Crizal does not just last a year. It should last years if taken care of properly.

Anyways, Crizal, or any AR, allow more light transmission into the eyes and transitions darken when you go outside. Here are the benefits of each.

Crizal
    - More light transmission
    - Less headaches
    - Easier on the computer
    - Better night driving
    - More cosmetically pleasing

Transitions
    - Darken when you go outside, but not while driving a vehicle
    - Full UVA and UVA block
    - React slightly to flouresent lights, making it easier on the eyes

However, the best solution is both together. Because transitions turn yellow over time, AR slows that down, and also allow them to change quicker.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have been getting headaches since you got your new glasses, I suggest you have then checked and perhaps get a recheck on your exam if it is recent. The Crizal(which is a brand name for a non glare coating) will not cause headaches.

All transition lenses include the scratch resistant coating as does Crizal. The two work great togeather. When you mentioned Crizal only lasting a year you might be thinking of Transition lenses. They gradually will darken less, though it isn't noticable to most people for at least 2 years or more.

OptiBoard Novice
    Anyways, Crizal, or any AR, allow more light transmission into the eyes and transitions darken when you go outside. Here are the benefits of each.

Crizal
    - More light transmission
    - Less headaches
    - Easier on the computer
    - Better night driving
    - More cosmetically pleasing

Transitions
    - Darken when you go outside, but not while driving a vehicle
    - Full UVA and UVA block
    - React slightly to flouresent lights, making it easier on the eyes

However, the best solution is both together. Because transitions turn yellow over time, AR slows that down, and also allow them to change quicker.

so ar/crizal helps transitions change quicker in the light?
    well, i called the place where i got my eyeglasses and they said that you couldn't do it. should i get a refund a go somewhere else?

also-how are they more cosmetically appealing?
    and when my sister got her transitions, they told her it would only work when they are uv rays present.

thanks.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation

so ar/crizal helps transitions change quicker in the light?
    well, i called the place where i got my eyeglasses and they said that you couldn't do it. should i get a refund a go somewhere else?

also-how are they more cosmetically appealing?
    and when my sister got her transitions, they told her it would only work when they are uv rays present.

thanks.
    When AR first became popular they thought that they could not apply both together, but now the opinion has become the opposite.

Now Transitions actually encourages the combination of both.

AR is more cosmetically appealing, because it makes the lenses clearer; therefore, you do not see the reflections off the lens.

It is correct that transitions only work under UV, and that is the reason why they do not work behind the windshield of a car.

OptiBoard Novice
    If you have been getting headaches since you got your new glasses, I suggest you have then checked and perhaps get a recheck on your exam if it is recent. The Crizal(which is a brand name for a non glare coating) will not cause headaches.

All transition lenses include the scratch resistant coating as does Crizal. The two work great togeather. When you mentioned Crizal only lasting a year you might be thinking of Transition lenses. They gradually will darken less, though it isn't noticable to most people for at least 2 years or more.

well, i got an exam when i got new glasses.
    how wouldi have them checked?
    the place where i got them were very cheap for an exam, and im thniking that led to poor service. they said you couldn't put transtions on crizal.

yea, the heaches often lead to impromptu sleep occurences.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "put transition on Crizal"... Do you mean put Crizal on Transition? Were you told you couldn't put Crizal(the anti reflective) on Transition(the lens that lightens and darkerns)?

Did you have headaches before you got your new glasses? Do you think the glasses are causing you to get headaches?

When we have a patient that has a problem with their new glasses this is what we do. We ask them to bring their new glasses and their old glasses in. We check to make sure the prescription is correct on their new glasses and we check the fit as how they fit can change how a person sees with new glasses. We compare the prescription, fit, and lens material to their old glasses. If everything checks out okay we have them see the doctor for a recheck. This is at no charge. Most of the time we can figure out the problem and fix it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    "put transition on Crizal"... Do you mean put Crizal on Transition? Were you told you couldn't put Crizal(the anti reflective) on Transition(the lens that lightens and darkerns)?

Did you have headaches before you got your new glasses? Do you think the glasses are causing you to get headaches?

When we have a patient that has a problem with their new glasses this is what we do. We ask them to bring their new glasses and their old glasses in. We check to make sure the prescription is correct on their new glasses and we check the fit as how they fit can change how a person sees with new glasses. We compare the prescription, fit, and lens material to their old glasses. If everything checks out okay we have them see the doctor for a recheck. This is at no charge. Most of the time we can figure out the problem and fix it.

i got them afterwards.
    the headaches seems to have stopped.
    i'll see what happens.

I was told I couldn't put crizal onto transitions.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can put Crizal on Transition. I do it all the time.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If someone called my office and wanted to put crizal on transitions, I would say that it must be done at the time of purchase. This is so basic to ECPs, but if you don't explain it, they think it's like Subway where if you forget the cheese, you just open the bread and slap it on. No, we don't "add" crizal onto transitions, but it can sure be done by the factory at the time the ORIGINAL order is placed.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    If someone called my office and wanted to put crizal on transitions, I would say that it must be done at the time of purchase. This is so basic to ECPs, but if you don't explain it, they think it's like Subway where if you forget the cheese, you just open the bread and slap it on. No, we don't "add" crizal onto transitions, but it can sure be done by the factory at the time the ORIGINAL order is placed.
    Oh yes, this is correct. You can't add Crizal later. Some Ars can be added later, but it is best to do it as soon as possible.

The orginal poster said he had Crizal now and was thinking of getting Transition. That would mean getting all new lenses, too.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could be the patient doesn't understand the different effects and uses of transitions versus "anti-reflective coating". Much of the lay public thinks ARC protects them from daytime glare.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well, i got an exam when i got new glasses.
    how wouldi have them checked?
    the place where i got them were very cheap for an exam, and im thniking that led to poor service. they said you couldn't put transtions on crizal.

yea, the heaches often lead to impromptu sleep occurences.
    Just to make sure we have a clear understanding here:

Transitions is a property inherent in the lens itself. It is not a coating. It is a chemical imbedded in the lens that causes a reaction when exposed to UV light.

The Crizal coating is just that.. a coating. It is a premium brand non-glare(anti-reflective) coating that is factory applied. Some a/r coats can be added after the fact. This isn't true with Crizal though. They stand by their product because they have the control of the surfacing and coating process.

Reasons why the shop you are dealing with might say no:
    1) They are not aware that Transitions is completely compatable, and actually recommends a non-glare coat.

This is a quote from Jim Shafer who is the Manager of Technical Sales for Transitions Optical:

Effects of AR on Photochromic Perfomance
    Transitions® Lenses are compatible with all premium AR coatings. As Transitions Optical develops new products, the company works closely with AR providers and labs to ensure chemical and real-world compatibility.

The activation rate, darkening, fade rate and color of Transitions Lenses with AR are all virtually the same as Transitions Lenses without AR. With AR coatings, Transitions Lenses are clearer in the unactivated state and may have an increased lifetime of performance. The differences in darkening performance are so small that instrumentation would be needed to measure them.

Intuitively, eyecare professionals may believe that the same AR coating that increases light transmission indoors would increase light transmission outdoors, reducing the darkening ability of the lens. This is not true. The addition of an AR coating does not significantly affect the darkening performance of Transitions Lenses.
    The whole thread on the subject of AntiReflective coatings (AR) and Transitions can be found here in the Smart Lens Technology Forum sponsored by Transitions Optical. http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7590

2) They don't use the Essilor brand transitions. Though if they have the ability to get Crizal, they should have access to these lenses. Crizal is made by the folks at Essilor.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Yes you can have Crizal or any other coat applyed to the lens after. Most places will not do it because if there is even a slight scratch. The scratch becomes horribly noticeable and drives people nuts. My store has a policy where we will add the coating to the lens within a week of original purchase, but the lens must be inspected by our optician for damage first.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Thread Information