Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You may not like the speakers, but there's a lot of truth in what they're saying.

- Look at the video. Seems like all the caucasions could afford vehicles, gas and hotels in Memphis (or somewhere), because they're ALL GONE.

- 40% of the Louisianna National Guard is in Iraq. Wouldn't it have been handy to have them around to help bring in food and water, and to police the streets?

- Weathly people got tax cuts, while budgets that help poor and middle class are cut, including infrastructure budgets. Why would anybody build a levee system that won't hold up through a catagory 5 hurricaine when we all know and knew that one would hit eventually (not Bush's fault).

- Global warming is causing more, stronger storms, yet Bush does not lead the world to make it better.

I don't think nobody cares about the refugees in New Orleans - I think we all feel deeply for these unfortunates. I also think that Chip's vernacular shows that there are a great number of people in this country who didn't care about the poor black folks in New Orleans until this catastrophe.
    ...Just ask me...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip's vernular was showing how many people like you and the reverun jessie will use this for political gain. The very audacity of saying we don't care and won't help is ludicrous.

Mississippi is the most generous state in the nation. People in the northeastern states seem to be the least generous.

One of the reasons the problem is what it is the "elected officials" in New Orleans evaculated to Baton Rouge. The mayor and "elected local officials" were aware of the potential problems and the most they have done is wring thier hands and say the federal government didn't prepare. It's thier dam and they should have been prepared. The good mayor of N.O. even complained that some individuals wanted to evauate people in school busses. He felt his people deserved new Grayhounds.

You people are rediculous. We have our population in Jackson trippled with refugees, we have taken black, white or whatever into our homes, what have you done but ***** at politicians?

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

As usual your full of hot air........................................

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    You may not like the speakers, but there's a lot of truth in what they're saying.

- Look at the video. Seems like all the caucasions could afford vehicles, gas and hotels in Memphis (or somewhere), because they're ALL GONE.

- 40% of the Louisianna National Guard is in Iraq. Wouldn't it have been handy to have them around to help bring in food and water, and to police the streets?

- Weathly people got tax cuts, while budgets that help poor and middle class are cut, including infrastructure budgets. Why would anybody build a levee system that won't hold up through a catagory 5 hurricaine when we all know and knew that one would hit eventually (not Bush's fault).

- Global warming is causing more, stronger storms, yet Bush does not lead the world to make it better.

I don't think nobody cares about the refugees in New Orleans - I think we all feel deeply for these unfortunates. I also think that Chip's vernacular shows that there are a great number of people in this country who didn't care about the poor black folks in New Orleans until this catastrophe.
    - No they are not all gone and no they are not all black. Its just your race bating again as usual. Your are no better than the media.

- Only 10% of the National Guard NATION WIDE is in IRAQ. Again your are blowing things way out of porpotion. LA and MS National Guard units are unable to respond properly because they are smack in the middle of the disaster area. You can't respond if your home, car, unit,armory, equipment and so forth are under water and debris.

- Everybody got tax cuts remember. What budgets were cut for poor and middle class? The levy has been there since Betsy and they have a black democratic Mayor and a white female democratic Governor. Ask them why it wasn't upgraded to Cat 5.( they (the Senate) was too busy spending 17 Billion on the Big ditch in Boston for 7 miles of highway in Kennedy's district.) Mississippi and Louisiana don't get very much because they have very little reprensentation as poor red states.

- Global warming has NOTHING to do with these storms. It is simply reverting to historic trends of the past, check it out. Submitting the US to treatys that destroy our ecomony but give a pass to nations like China ( a real eco trasher) is crazy,

Your talk is typical liberal. Thank goodness the rest of the country sees things in a better light.

There is very little truth in what your are saying. We know - we live and work here, we are working to make things better.

If you really want to do something - buy an evacuee's family a meal like I did yesterday in Selma (they were traveling to AZ to live with their son and were running our of money - another lady paid their hotel bill in full as I checked in) or pack up 2 gallon bags of Crisis Care Kits with items they need.

Our Church has already sent 500 and we are sending more tomorrow. (another example of religous extremism I supose)

Please point out EXACTLY what you PERSONALLY have done? - other than make outrageous, hate statements loaded with hypocricy?

Rep
    Last edited by rep; 09-03-2005 at 01:45 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I was in Biloxi 2 weeks ago. I can't even begin to comprehend what all has changed.
    My first hurricane experience was with Frederick in '79. My four year-old mind didn't really know what was going on. I kept having bad dreams about Fred Flintstone with evil red eyes. Now, twenty-six years later, I've been through enough storms to know the drill. Still, I didn't take all the precautions I probably should have. However, by Tuesday night the lights were back on and we got the limbs cleared out of the yard. I feel extremely fortunate.
    There will be a proper time to hash out what went wrong and how we might have prevented it, but like any other tragedy the damage is already done and healing is paramount. It's not a time for blue and red or black and white, but a time to practice the golden rule (or, if you're an LC associate who's been through diversity training, the platinum rule :)). Besides, when all is said and done we'll probably find out there's enough blame and praise to go around!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Our Church has already sent 500 and we are sending more tomorrow. (another example of religous extremism I supose)
    I'd only call it religious extremism if getting aid from them was contingent on conversion (or even a sales pitch for conversion).

And I wasn't aware Senators had "districts".

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Watching from the UK

Firstly I hope everyone from the affected areas are OK and my sympathies go out to anyone dealing with any sort of loss.

I saw this on the news the other day and while I was horrified at the destruction I was confident that rescue and aid would have been arranged efficiently. I may have been naive but given that this happened in America I though personal suffering would have been kept to a minimum.

I was surprised that it was only on the fifth day that aid was getting into the area. The news we are seeing is more reminiscent of a third world area.

Good luck to all out there.

Rick

Occupation

More garbage

Quote Originally Posted by spartus
    I'd only call it religious extremism if getting aid from them was contingent on conversion (or even a sales pitch for conversion).

And I wasn't aware Senators had "districts".
    I have never heard or seen aid from any church contingent on "conversioin" but I am sure you have some reference somewhere. So please give it to us.

No U. S. Senator has districts - Every U. S. Senator LIVES and Works in a District.

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spexvet

I don't think nobody cares about the refugees in New Orleans - I think we all feel deeply for these unfortunates. I also think that Chip's vernacular shows that there are a great number of people in this country who didn't care about the poor black folks in New Orleans until this catastrophe.[/QUOTE]

1. There maybe a lot of talk but they still are not lifting a finger except to talk.

2. Then you go on this diatribe about:"Seems like all the caucasions" so when
    you can't explain something you play the race card, reallllllllllllllllly. Instead of playing Jessie Jackson maybe you could give some real answers instead of the broad swipe your using with this race issue.

3. Then you go on to say:"40% of the Louisianna National Guard is in Iraq".Ok
    Katrina say's WOW Louisianna's National Guard is gone so I will hit there. Did the writters of the Simsons write this because your statement is absurd!

4. Then you go on this kick about global warming! These statements are so ridiculous they deserve no further comment! RIDICULOUS:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    - No they are not all gone and no they are not all black. Its just your race bating again as usual. Your are no better than the media.

- Only 10% of the National Guard NATION WIDE is in IRAQ. Again your are blowing things way out of porpotion. LA and MS National Guard units are unable to respond properly because they are smack in the middle of the disaster area. You can't respond if your home, car, unit,armory, equipment and so forth are under water and debris.

- Everybody got tax cuts remember. What budgets were cut for poor and middle class? The levy has been there since Betsy and they have a black democratic Mayor and a white female democratic Governor. Ask them why it wasn't upgraded to Cat 5.( they (the Senate) was too busy spending 17 Billion on the Big ditch in Boston for 7 miles of highway in Kennedy's district.) Mississippi and Louisiana don't get very much because they have very little reprensentation as poor red states.

- Global warming has NOTHING to do with these storms. It is simply reverting to historic trends of the past, check it out. Submitting the US to treatys that destroy our ecomony but give a pass to nations like China ( a real eco trasher) is crazy,

Your talk is typical liberal. Thank goodness the rest of the country sees things in a better light.

There is very little truth in what your are saying. We know - we live and work here, we are working to make things better.

If you really want to do something - buy an evacuee's family a meal like I did yesterday in Selma (they were traveling to AZ to live with their son and were running our of money - another lady paid their hotel bill in full as I checked in) or pack up 2 gallon bags of Crisis Care Kits with items they need.

Please point out EXACTLY what you PERSONALLY have done? - other than make outrageous, hate statements loaded with hypocricy?

Rep

Nice back hand!;)
    Spexvet deserved that for his comment about the race card and others!:hammer:

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Gee, rep, it's not like you to disagree with the president, who has stated in unambiguous terms that the federal response was, in his words, "unacceptable".

There will be plenty of time to analyze what happened, and I'm sure what happened will have the filé analyzed out of it. I have less confidence that said analysis will lead to rational changes at any level, but, one can only hope.

For now, it is clear that many are willing to contribute and commit, which is appropriate, until the suffering is diminished; the diminishing of which should be our primary concern.

Once that's done, we all need to have a talk.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shanbaum:

If he was your president as Kerry would have been. You would have looked at the context of his statement that stated no response could have been adequate. This does not mean that every effort was not being made, it just ment that the job was impossible to do and the best efforts were being given.
    Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Shanbaum:

If he was your president as Kerry would have been. You would have looked at the context of his statement that stated no response could have been adequate. This does not mean that every effort was not being made, it just ment that the job was impossible to do and the best efforts were being given.
    Chip
    No, that's not at all what he said, Chip. Trust me, I'm perfectly capable of parsing English, even yours.

He said the response was "unacceptable", and he was right. The response could not have simultaneously been "all that could have been done" and "unacceptable".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

katrina

Being one who has been involved in many of these natural disasters, i can tell you from first hand experience that the logistics of these type operations are far from simple. It is not just a matter of send in the national guard or the marines, often it is a matter of where do you send them so they can operate efficiently.
    This became very obvious to us during the great flood in 1971 that wiped out elmira, corning etc in upstate new york along the southern tier. We had water running through downtown elmira and corning up to the second stories of the buildings.
    We were there as amatuer radio operators to supply emergency communications, as there were none, problem often being trying to find the person who needed the information so it could be disseminated to the proper authorities. I personally spent three days out in a boat and had to be very careful were we went as it was havoc everywhere and you never knew what to expect, look up and here comes a house floating down the river, just as new orleans is right now.
    I was on a bridge one night letting down the gauge to see if the river was cresting, when a couple of teenagers came over the bridge and shot a bullet over my head as a joke to scare me, but thats probably the worst, other then being very tired and hungry at times.
    To those of you who have never experienced all that, i say god bless and i hope you never do as it stays with you all your life. You never forget it as life does not prepare anyone for such events

Occupation

There you go again, Shanbaum

Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    Gee, rep, it's not like you to disagree with the president, who has stated in unambiguous terms that the federal response was, in his words, "unacceptable".

There will be plenty of time to analyze what happened, and I'm sure what happened will have the filé analyzed out of it. I have less confidence that said analysis will lead to rational changes at any level, but, one can only hope.

For now, it is clear that many are willing to contribute and commit, which is appropriate, until the suffering is diminished; the diminishing of which should be our primary concern.

Once that's done, we all need to have a talk.
    No where in this thread do I disagree with the president - a point I thought someone with your intelect should be able to plainly see on your monitor. I did make a comment in another thread - if that is what you are refering to please make your comments there, in context.

" Many are willing to contribute and commit"? O really!!, but not You! right?

I throw down the same challenge - What Exactly have you Personally done to help diminish "the suffering" which you state "should be our primary concern".

It seems that most liberals here only want to "talk" about the crisis. When it comes time for action, so far, they seem woefully lacking.

Come on Optiboard members there are lots of ways to help and organizations to chose from. Look at the scroller at the bottom of your TV on Fox and CNN.

Steve, could you post the list of organizations similar to the Tsunami Disaster Appeal on Optiboard News?

Rep

Occupation

Is there a pattern here?

No where in this thread do I disagree with the president - a point I thought someone with your intelect should be able to plainly see on your monitor. I did make a comment in another thread - if that is what you are refering to please make your comments there, in context.

" Many are willing to contribute and commit"? O really!!, but not You! right?

I throw down the same challenge - What Exactly have you Personally done to help diminish "the suffering" which you state "should be our primary concern".

It seems that most liberals here only want to "talk" about the crisis. When it comes time for action, so far, they seem woefully lacking.

Come on Optiboard members there are lots of ways to help and organizations to chose from. Look at the scroller at the bottom of your TV on Fox and CNN.

Steve, could you post the list of organizations similar to the Tsunami Disaster Appeal on Optiboard News?

Rep
    I didn't realize that your opinions are thread-sensitive. It's reassuring to know, then, that you do agree with the president, that the federal response to Katrina was "unacceptable". Or, is that true only in this thread, and not the other?

Of course, your accusation that "liberals" have not contributed to the relief effort is founded in... well, nothing at all, other than your apparent (and idiotic) belief that "liberals" are always to be found wanting, in any comparison of any kind. (See, "woefully lacking" above).

You do not, in fact, know anything about the relative contributions of persons of various political persuasions to this relief effort; nor do you know anything at all about what I have done personally. As to the latter, you will never know, as it's none of your business.

What can be said, is that you are willing to make an accusation of a personal nature (I refer to the "but not you!" in the above-quoted thread) based on complete and indisputable ignorance.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish Harry Connick Jr. would do something like the NFL does around Thnaksgiving and Christmas where they go around to the needy and give out food supplies and clothing. But what does Harry do? Nothing! He shoots off his mouth points his finger and does nothing. He was at the Super Dome why did he not take some food and water with him? He had a camera crew with him but he couldn't take a truck of water all he could do was shoot his mouth off just like most hollywood types. They rant and rave about different things but for lending a hand or more important some money they go no thanks. I give a HIGH FIVE TO JIM ROME FOR HIS DONATION TO THE RELIEF EFFORT, HE GAVE 25,000.00 what have the other Hollywood wanabees given? For my part I reached into my pocket and gave and I maybe reaching in to give more. But guys like Harry give me a sick feeling. They mouth off but do nothing. Concert looked nice but how much did some of those wealthy people give? I did not see one of them saying I will go get a truck and go myself to deliever the water and food, all they want is the lime light for a few minutes then slip on back to hollywood and call it day! Just my 2 cents of rant!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You conservatives are funny. And not funny ha-ha.

I'm not "race baiting". What's the black/white ratio in the footage you've seen? Sure, everybody has suffered, but open your eyes and acknowledge the truth! Chip, did you have black-face on when you made that racist post?

Sorry, I was mistaken 40% of Mississippi's National Guard is in Iraq, only 35% of Loiusianna's

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N30539163.htm

"Missing the personnel is the big thing in this particular event. We need our people," said Lt. Andy Thaggard, a spokesman for the Mississippi National Guard, which has a brigade of more than 4,000 troops in central Iraq. Louisiana also has about 3,000 Guard troops in Baghdad."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...083002162.html

I specifically said that this wasn't Bush's fault - don't politicize it. I would have forgone tax cuts to prevent this, how about you?

That makes sense: the planet will be unable to sustain life (eventually), but the economy will be not be destroyed.:hammer:

PS. - how's the economy today, after Katrina?

No, the intelligent people in the country see exactly what's going on. It's only in Repland where thing are bright and rosey. Drink some Kool-aid.

If you think it's not truth, you don't know what's going on.

That was very generous of you.

That's also very generous. What did you do for those folks before Katrina hit?

Please point out EXACTLY what you PERSONALLY have done?
    That is absolutely none of your business It's really low class to accuse others of doing nothing, with absolutely NO evidence one way or the other. For all we know, you're not doing anything, yourself. Post all you want - doesn't mean it's true.

- other than make outrageous, hate statements loaded with hypocricy?
    What did I post that was outrageous, hateful, or hypocritical? Did I riducule African Americans? No. Did I accuse people of not donating or taking action? No. Did I race bait? No, Chip did. You sound like this administration - if someone points out the truth or disagrees with W, attack, attack, attack!

Get your heads out of the sand!
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spex,

I'm not so sure it was a racial issue - poor issue possibly. More probably, a political issue - no clearly defined agency in charge leading to a lack of leadership and poor communication.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Us folks in Mississippi are poorer than those in LA and New Orleans, we have sustained more damage and need more relief. But New Orleans is getting all the relief and Media Attention.

Have any of you folks criticizing the relief efforts personally contributed anything to the relief effort or are you just fussing about "the wealthy" and "the conservative government" efforts?

Shut up and send some money, supplies or help.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

He wanted to

If you saw the interview Harry Connick Jr did with Katie on the Today show, he wanted to bring water to the dome. He was frustrated that the people in charge told him he could not because it would jeapordize his safety.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9147333/
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was not talking about Harry Connic whoever he is, I was talking about you! Each and everyone of you.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson

Chip
    Done that Chip.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jubilee
    If you saw the interview Harry Connick Jr did with Katie on the Today show, he wanted to bring water to the dome. He was frustrated that the people in charge told him he could not because it would jeapordize his safety.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9147333/[/QUOTE]

Funny I saw the same show never heard good old Harry mention anything about trying to bring in water. Are you sure you watched the same show because I saw him on twice!;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chip anderson
    Us folks in Mississippi are poorer than those in LA and New Orleans, we have sustained more damage and need more relief. But New Orleans is getting all the relief and Media Attention.

Have any of you folks criticizing the relief efforts personally contributed anything to the relief effort or are you just fussing about "the wealthy" and "the conservative government" efforts?

Chip[/QUOTE]

Hay Chip don't worry about the Spec man that's just the way he is. He said he doesn't play the race card but go back and read his statement sure read like he was playing the race card. Now he comes back and say's "IIIIIIIIIIIII wasn't playing the race card " Chip as I said before I did reach into my pocket for $100.00 bucks and I ll probably reach in and send another Ben Franklin before the week is out. Chip anythig else we can do besides money and prayer? Let us know!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    You conservatives are funny. And not funny ha-ha.

I'm not "race baiting". What's the black/white ratio in the footage you've seen? Sure, everybody has suffered, but open your eyes and acknowledge the truth! Chip, did you have black-face on when you made that racist post?

Sorry, I was mistaken 40% of Mississippi's National Guard is in Iraq, only 35% of Loiusianna's

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N30539163.htm

"Missing the personnel is the big thing in this particular event. We need our people," said Lt. Andy Thaggard, a spokesman for the Mississippi National Guard, which has a brigade of more than 4,000 troops in central Iraq. Louisiana also has about 3,000 Guard troops in Baghdad."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...083002162.html

I specifically said that this wasn't Bush's fault - don't politicize it. I would have forgone tax cuts to prevent this, how about you?

That makes sense: the planet will be unable to sustain life (eventually), but the economy will be not be destroyed.:hammer:

PS. - how's the economy today, after Katrina?

No, the intelligent people in the country see exactly what's going on. It's only in Repland where thing are bright and rosey. Drink some Kool-aid.

If you think it's not truth, you don't know what's going on.

That was very generous of you.

That's also very generous. What did you do for those folks before Katrina hit?

That is absolutely none of your business It's really low class to accuse others of doing nothing, with absolutely NO evidence one way or the other. For all we know, you're not doing anything, yourself. Post all you want - doesn't mean it's true.

What did I post that was outrageous, hateful, or hypocritical? Did I riducule African Americans? No. Did I accuse people of not donating or taking action? No. Did I race bait? No, Chip did. You sound like this administration - if someone points out the truth or disagrees with W, attack, attack, attack!

Get your heads out of the sand!

If you asked me this whole post sounds racist. Funny Steve and Jo are not slapping your hand for the blanten use of this race card seems more like letting a good old boy get away with his racist comments without comments from our illustrous monitors! Case in point:

"I'm not "race baiting". What's the black/white ratio in the footage you've seen? Sure, everybody has suffered, but open your eyes and acknowledge the truth! Chip, did you have black-face on when you made that racist post?

So if black face is not racist what is?

Thread Information