Thread: Question about generosity

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question about generosity

Katrina has left devastation in its path. People are donating and volunteering to help in the aftermath. For most of the victims, it's no longer a life or death situation. The country has really come together to support the folks effected, similar to the response after the terrorist attack on the WTC.

Why is it that many of the people who donate to these types of causes oppose programs like the Medicare prescription program and welfare, which are much closer to life or death situations?
    ...Just ask me...

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Choice v. compulsion

I suspect that many people resist being compelled to do that which they might choose to do anyway, were they given the choice.

Of course, "the people" chose to establish programs like Medicare in the first place - a long time ago. It probably doesn't feel like a choice to persons born subsequently (who, after all, are now approaching "middle age").

Bad address email on file
    Concerning welfare, their are too many times where I am suspect that their is a real need, do to poor life choices or lack of ambition.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

speaking of giving...

I was watching the news this morning, seanes from the gulf coast, and was reminded of the disaster in the far east last Christmas. I was wondering of all of those countrys that was saying we (US) were not doing enough to help those poor folks in Indoniesia. Has any one heard of any country offering help to us(US)?
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ken@foothills
    Concerning welfare, their are too many times where I am suspect that their is a real need, do to poor life choices or lack of ambition.
    One might respond "Is living in a city below sea level and in houses near a coast in hurricane territory a good life choice?". Also, IMHO, those who own(ed) lavish beachfront homes don't need financial help. Do you think multi-millionaires will get aid to rebuild their beachfront mansions?
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are crazy? Do you think only rich people live near the coast? I am very disappointed in your last answer.....What about the people living in town in New Orleans? or Biloxi?, or anywhere else? Did you make those comments about the people in Indonsia?

Sorry, had to rant about this one

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020
    Are crazy? Do you think only rich people live near the coast? I am very disappointed in your last answer.....What about the people living in town in New Orleans? or Biloxi?, or anywhere else? Did you make those comments about the people in Indonsia?

Sorry, had to rant about this one

Christina
    Did I say "only rich people live near the coast"? No, I said

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Also, IMHO, those who own(ed) lavish beachfront homes don't need financial help. Do you think multi-millionaires will get aid to rebuild their beachfront mansions?
    There are a lot of people of modest means who need and deserve financial help, just not wealthy people.

No, I did not say it about the tsunami vistims in Indonesia, but let me say it now: millionaires who lost lavish homes to the tsunami in Indonesia should not get American aid. ;) They can afford to replace the homes on their own, or live like the rest of us.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I got a call yesterday from the state nursing association wanting volunteers and equipment to got to the New Orleans area. I can't go because of a recent case of Lyme Disease, but I'm sending all appropriate equipment that I have.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    I suspect that many people resist being compelled to do that which they might choose to do anyway, were they given the choice.

Of course, "the people" chose to establish programs like Medicare in the first place - a long time ago. It probably doesn't feel like a choice to persons born subsequently (who, after all, are now approaching "middle age").
    I couldn't agree more. Of course, it didn't help when these programs went from being call "assistance" to being called "entitlements".
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BTW, if a wealthy person is in need of food, water, clothing, medical assistance, etc, due to Katrina, they should be provided for. I just don't think they should get help to rebuild their mansion.:(
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Why is it that many of the people who donate to these types of causes oppose programs like the Medicare prescription program and welfare, which are much closer to life or death situations?
    Because we are affected by stories like Harvey Jackson's ...

http://www.tampabays10.com/video/pla...1027&sid=18262
    Last edited by Joann Raytar; 08-31-2005 at 08:33 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    People's fortunes can change in the blink of an eye...

People who were getting by rather well a week ago, now find themselves in financial ruin. Imagine if you didn't have insurance. Or even if you did, how do you find temporary housing in an area with thousands and thousands of other refugees as well. Then there is replacing the car, furniture, and other household items. That has got to be expensive. Imagine paying to live in a hotel with your three kids for 6 months to a year...

Do I think that we need to replace homes with the same as before Katrina? Well I am torn. If I had saved and poured every dime I had into my dream home...I would want it replaced. Now after spending 6mos in a shelter, I might be happy for anything of my own.. but honestly I would want something on the same scale as what I owned previously. On the other hand, I would hope that these people who invested in their property also made sure they had all the adequate insurance necessary to protect it, so it doesn't cost the tax payer. (Well till they renew their insurance policy and the companies try to recoup some money after paying out all these claims)

As far as the whole medicaid/welfare system... I have nothing against helping out those less fortunate than me. Heck when I was first expecting my son, and found out that my major medical plan didn't cover pregnancy, I ended up utilizing the pregnancy based medicaid plan... But, I certainly believe that there are major problems with the system, and often times many church or community based programs can deliver more personalized and more practical services than the state funded ones.

Cassandra

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cassandra, I agree whole heartedly with your post. I sit hear this morning with my cup of tea and am amazed by the blessings I have. I own a small humble home and have a beautiful family, we live pay check to paycheck with only a small retirement, we are young. I feel just as bad for the wealthy as I do for the poor. In this situation of terrible disaster I cant imagine that anyone looks any different then the other wandering amelessly looking for food and shelter. Do you think the wealthy can still go to there non exsistant homes and eat there non exsistent food? These people are in the same place, I am hoping that those wealthy worked for there money, lets not assume they are all evil, perhaps they are just hard working smart people. Why shouldnt they get back what they worked hard for. Should that happen at the expense of the poor, no. Bu if they need food and shelter I dont think now is a time to descriminate, perhpas they will realize the help they rcvd and they will help otheres in future disasters, the whole pay it forward theory.
    Rant whine rant
    Cindy
    Last edited by cinders831; 09-01-2005 at 06:54 PM.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Don’t criticize the wealthy that lost homes down in the Gulf.

They are the ones who have insurance in place and will not become a burden on the taxpayer.

They own the businesses that are going to rebuild the area destroyed by Katrina.

They are the ones who will reopen those businesses and resume paying taxes and wages to their employees.

They are the ones who are donating millions of dollars to the relief efforts.

So, cut them a little slack. If it were not for the lavish home owners and multimillionaires this storm would have hit an unpopulated swamp. These are the people who will lead the economic boom that inevitably follows a natural disaster. Let's all stop whining and make a large donation to the Red Cross and then go buy an equal amount of Home Depot and Exxon stock

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess I am alittle sorry for snapping but I think we need to rememeber that no one knows what's going to happen. Rich or poor live near or at the beach..People have had their homes in the coastal regions for a long time. Some are passed down from memeber of family to another.

I lived in Jacksonville, Florida for long time. We were blessed not to be hit by any hurricanes in recently years. More people choose to live in the beaches area. They are miltary families, business class families, lower income families, artist etc. The point I am trying to make is..Living near or at the coast is an expereince that can't be beat by much, no matter the risks...I'd do it again given the chance in a heart beat.
    This terrible storm has ruined many lives. Young or Old, Rich or Poor..We need to focus on helping and giving all we can to bring families back togather.

I thank God for my blessings every day and hope that others can too...

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    Don’t criticize the wealthy that lost homes down in the Gulf.

I wasn't being critical, I just don't want my donation used to help wealthy people rebuild. People whose disposable income is forty times greater than mine don't need my money.
    They are the ones who have insurance in place and will not become a burden on the taxpayer.

Can you ensure that my insurance premiums won't go up?
    They own the businesses that are going to rebuild the area destroyed by Katrina.

Not necessarily. Many are probably vacation homes or owned by retirees.
    They are the ones who will reopen those businesses and resume paying taxes and wages to their employees.

Not necessarily. Many are probably vacation homes or owned by retirees.
    They are the ones who are donating millions of dollars to the relief efforts.

Not necessarily.
    So, cut them a little slack.

No. Well, ok, but just a little.
    I
    f it were not for the lavish home owners and multimillionaires this storm would have hit an unpopulated swamp.

With no loss of life or property - that would be a good thing!
    These are the people who will lead the economic boom that inevitably follows a natural disaster.

The news said it is the influx of government dollars that causes the economic boom.
    Let's all stop whining and make a large donation to the Red Cross and then go buy an equal amount of Home Depot and Exxon stock
    You are certainly pragmatic.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    I was watching the news this morning, seanes from the gulf coast, and was reminded of the disaster in the far east last Christmas. I was wondering of all of those countrys that was saying we (US) were not doing enough to help those poor folks in Indoniesia. Has any one heard of any country offering help to us(US)?
    Check out link. So far over 20 countries have offered aid.

http://www.keenesentinel.com/main.as...rticleID=79036

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Strangely enough the list includes some of the poorest countries in the world including SirLanka.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Thanks for the list!
    Paul:cheers:

Thread Information