Thread: AR Coating Peeling

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

AR Coating Peeling

Hi there, new member here.

I have a pair of glasses from Pearl Vision that I am having some problems with. Let me first say that I've had previous problems with this particular company/store and don't want to go back to them. The first was an issue with the AR coating that they claimed was my fault, although I had opinions from other local eyecare professionals that it looked to be a defect in the coating. Then the frame broke in a way I have never seen before, both of these were covered 60% or so by their insurance.

Now it seems that the AR coating on my lenses, which are less than a year old mind you, is peeling off. Its chipping off the top and appears to be coming off around that general area. Now I really don't want to go back to the store and have them give me a schpeal about how its my fault, even though I take care of these glasses and never use anything but the lense cloth on them.

Is there some way to get recourse from the company? Is there some procedure for this? and if not is there some way to lose the AR coating all together? I realize it sounds barbaric but can I wipe it off with paint thinner or something?

Thanks in advance.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is a vast difference in quality between different ar coats. They all look about the same at the beginning, but some scratch more easily, some craze more often, some are easier to clean.

Even with the best ar I occasionally see crazing and peeling, but it is rare. If you used nothing but water and mild soap or ar cleaner on them then it sounds like you have a bad ar coat. Heat can craze ar coats, as can household sprays and cleaners that have gotten on the lenses. I had one patient's lenses in his old glasses craze after he was a pallbearer at a funeral and his lenses got a lot of rain water on them!

Don't try to remove the coating yourself! It is possible to remove it on standard plastic lenses, but let the optican judge it and remove it. Don't use paint thinner on them. If you have had it less then a year it should be under warranty. Take them back.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Happylady, thanks for your reply.

I guess I will try once again to take it back to the store. I just hate having to go in there as I get the strong feeling that they are taking advantage of me. Two bad lenses and a broken frame all in the span of a year and a half? Seems to me I must be the most irresponsible glasses wearer in the history of optometry, which I am not, or there is something wrong with their product ..

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Many opticians have the materials and equipment necessary to remove the AR completely. If the Pearl shop isn't able to provide satisfaction call around to local independent opticians and tell them the problem and that you'd like to have the AR stripped. Once the AR is removed it is possible to have the lenses re-coated but this will cost you.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If this is the second time you have had problems with the ar and you are taking proper care of it, then it sounds like a low end ar. Do you know what material your lenses are? If it is polycarb the ar can't be stripped. I have stripped ar on high index materials but I always warn the person that it could mess up the hard coat of the lens itself.

At least call them and see if their is a warranty on the lenses and if they can be stripped.

How did the frame break? You have made me curious.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some opticals believe that if there are any defects in workmanship or materials that it would be seen within the first couple of months of wear.

I have worked for such places, and even remember having a customer come back a year after his orginial purchase claiming it was a defect. We towed the company line, and refused to do so at n/c, though we offered to have him pay a $50 copay. He called corporate who asked him to send in the lenses for evaluation after replacement lenses were received. Pay the copay now, and if determined they were indeed defects, then money would be refunded.

2 weeks later, we refunded the guy his $50.

While it wasn't Pearle, it was a similar company.

So press the issue. Ask to talk to the store manager, and if they won't accomodate you, then ask for their Regional Manager's number. Talk to corporate. http://www.pearlevision.com/webapp/w...ce/contact.jsp
    I doubt if the Pearle actually has any a/r stripper on site. How long have you had this last set of lenses?

Cassandra

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In a related story I had a guy come in with his lenses broken.

He went to the place he bought them at and they told him that he or his wife sat on his glasses. He insisted it was something else.

He is a truck driver and kept them in his truck. The heat broke the lenses. He did not know that could happen, and if the lady told him that he probably would have stayed as a customer. Instead she insulted him telling him he did something that he did not.

Stuff happens, whether it is the customers fault or not maybe we have to give them the benefit of the doubt

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue

yeah i had that happen,

a man came in with his polar poly lenses cracking. the first thing i did was make sure they weren't to big for the frame. he then told me all he does is wear them in the car and they sit right on the dashboard. i then told him that glasses should not be left in the car because heat can cause them to crack (by the way the record high that week was 101) he started yelling at me that no one ever educated him on not leaving them in the car. i almost want to write up a manual to eyewear care including DO NOT USE BRILLO PADS ON GLASSES. it would be so thick.

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    In a related story I had a guy come in with his lenses broken.

He went to the place he bought them at and they told him that he or his wife sat on his glasses. He insisted it was something else.

He is a truck driver and kept them in his truck. The heat broke the lenses. He did not know that could happen, and if the lady told him that he probably would have stayed as a customer. Instead she insulted him telling him he did something that he did not.

Stuff happens, whether it is the customers fault or not maybe we have to give them the benefit of the doubt

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Ar easy to strip........................

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Don't try to remove the coating yourself! It is possible to remove it on standard plastic lenses, but let the optican judge it and remove it. Don't use paint thinner on them. If you have had it less then a year it should be under warranty. Take them back.
    Follow Happyladies advice..................let a professional do it..........but make sure that the one you choose can do it.

AR coatings are very easy to strip, but you need some knowdledge on the lens materials and their hard coatings. Hardcoatings can turn white and opaque when stripping. You can see more information on the subject at:

http://optochemicals.com/products/info_ar_stripper.htm

Thread Information