Thread: infants eyeglasses please help..

OptiBoard Novice

infants eyeglasses please help..

Hi everyone,
    My 10 month old son has to wear glasses for eye crossing/ far sightness. My question is that we are having a hard time keeping the glasses from sliding down his nose. I have tried to research the internet for a band that will keep them on but cant seem to find one. Is there a brand or what exactly are they called so I know what to search for? ~lorie~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am sure if you go back to the optical shop where you purchased the eyewear, the optician would have the answer.

You did go to a competent optician didn't you?

The glasses were the correct fit and size to begin with, right?

Take him back to the source and let them take care of it, that is if they know how!

Fezz
    :cheers:

OptiBoard Novice
    hi, thanks for replying. I went to a place called NY optical. They were the only place in my neighborhood that carried a larger selection on infant frames. We chose the plastic frame with the cables that go behind the ears. What i noticed is that the cables are about half an inch to far behind the ear so they dont really wrap around the ear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So....as I said, take him back. The glasses should not have been sold to you, they do not fit! Would you let a shoe salesman sell you a shoe that was two sizes too big for your child, how about putting him in a two year olds jeans?

If the place did there job to begin with, you would not be here seeking FREE ADVICE!

Fezz

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go back and explain your problem to the optician, I'm sure they can make a simple adjustment and solve the problem.
    Last edited by mullo; 08-28-2005 at 03:55 PM.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sounds like the cable temples need to be adjusted or replaced with shorter ones. Please go back and have an optician do this. The cables should be right behind the ear.

You will probably need to get the glasses adjusted often. Check them every couple of days to make sure the fit is still correct.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks so much for the advice. I will go back tomorrow to the shop where we purchased them. :o

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just about the only frame that fits an infant and is indestructable enough for an infant is the como baby, it's ugly but it does the job. And you can change for something more attractive when the child grows enough to be less distructive.

You may not think your child is destructive, but trust me infants need the most indestructable thing available.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The temples are simply too long.. They hopefully have a shorter pair, or someone capable of shortening them for a proper fit.

As far as the elasticized band, you would probable have more luck looking under sports bands or eyeglass holders... I know Hilco carries a fairly decent selection for kids, and your optician should be able to get them for you. http://www.hilco.com/catalog/catalog...older_main.asp

Cassandra

PS: Instead of giving evey patient who comes across here an inquisition, how about we simply give them the information they need and pointers on how to make sure they get what they need in the future.

Being able to inform people even if they didn't buy the product from you can generate goodwill, referrals, support for opticians, and the like. To assume that everyone who asks for advice on here is someone who went to a discounter or online is erroneous. It can sometimes put people off, and harm the independents by making patients feel like they are snooty or uppity.. and thus more expensive.
    *steps off soapbox*

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Jubilee, sometimes people on these boards get kind of nasty when non optical people ask questions. We can make suggestions and offer help without getting snippy and critical.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cassandra: Well said, I 3rd that.. Its sad to see that some Opticians have long forgotten their professional code of ethics.

<prepared and awaits negativity from her post>

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Jubilee,
    You'll have no problem succeeding with the indies.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If not here, ....where?????

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz
    s?

If the place did there job to begin with, you would not be here seeking FREE ADVICE!

Fezz
    If you had been greeted by that sort of a post when you first got here, I doubt very much you would have stayed. You made your point in the earlier post, please don't be redundant, all are welcome to post on these forums.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 08-28-2005 at 07:49 PM.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Just about the only frame that fits an infant and is indestructable enough for an infant is the como baby, it's ugly but it does the job. And you can change for something more attractive when the child grows enough to be less distructive.

You may not think your child is destructive, but trust me infants need the most indestructable thing available.

Chip
    I must agree with Chip on this one. Unfortunately most parents run in the other direction when shown the ComoBaby. Yup, it's ugly, but it stays in place and has no moving or metal parts to cause boo-boos. After all is said and done, an infant doesn't care what s/he looks like.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks again for all the advice.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz
    So....as I said, take him back. The glasses should not have been sold to you, they do not fit! Would you let a shoe salesman sell you a shoe that was two sizes too big for your child, how about putting him in a two year olds jeans?

Fezz
    Maybe you meant to say, "did A job there" or " did their job" huh? :finger:
    :hammer: :cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Take pictures of your baby and post here (front view and side view) with the frame on and also spell out the eyesize, bridge size and temple length of that frame.

Maybe someone in this forum could custom build a free frame for your baby.

Good luck.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The frames definitley aren' adjusted or fitted properly. I'm sure the optician will correct it with no problems.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I purchased a Como baby from Franel to keep on-hand per advice from you, Judy, and others. Just one comment: "Man, is that one ugly frame!". Does ANYONE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL CHILDREN EVERYWHERE, have any connections with this company? It's as though they designed that frame for an 86-year-old teeny, weeny, little old lady gnome.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I forgot to say....

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG
    Take pictures of your baby and post here (front view and side view) with the frame on and also spell out the eyesize, bridge size and temple length of that frame.

Maybe someone in this forum could custom build a free frame for your baby.

Good luck.
    I forgot to say welcome back Jerry, nice to see you posting again. That was a very kind and generous offer above.
    For those newer members, Jerry is a frame designer, among his many other talents.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Solo Bambini is the company who produces the Como Baby frame. They have some newer styles now in a rectangular shape that looks way better than the old round shapes do. The number for them is 1-650-340-1773 and the man who runs the place is named Rodger. We were the very first place (Wake Forest University School of Medicine/Ophthalmology) to market the Como Baby frame. They work the best for our Pediatric Patients and we have used them quite extensively over the years. I also, after a year of several letters and phone calls, was able to get our State's Medicaid to start providing these frames for infants. It is the very best choice for the first time wearer to get the child used to wearing glasses as they will throw them, chew them and all together destroy several metal or plastic frames... but the rubber material the Como frame is made out of takes all of the abuse. Not to mention if the child is starting to walk or takes a fall... it wont cut their face like a metal or plastic frame can. The strap around the back of the head holds them on securely. Getting Mom past the looks of the frame and to focus on the practicallity of them usually does not take more than mentioning the durability and safety factors.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks, NCO!

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    How about exchanging the sides to a simple loop style, whereby a length of elastic can be attached and put around the childs head. This is what I have done in the past and works very well. If loop sides aren't available simply strip the ecetate of a normal side back enough to loop the inner metal core around into a circle.

Lewy

Thread Information