Thread: Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Marathon

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Marathon

This is a C&P of an email that is going out to my friends and family. 3 years ago my wife was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma (she is currently in remission). This year a friend and co-worker of hers wanted to make a difference and raise money for cancer research by participating in the Honolulu Marathon, her goal is $5500. If you wish to donate a website has been set up to do so here
    Thanks for reading,
    Jarratt Cutlan (Jedi)

She thinks my walking 42km is amazing.
    I think her fighting cancer makes a marathon a walk in the park.

My name is Amber Cutlan, I am 26 years old, and at 23, I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Hodgkin's Lymphoma, I want to thank you for taking the time to read a bit of my story...

When I noticed a lump on the left side of my neck just above the collar bone I had no idea that months later I would be told I had cancer. I don't think anyone could ever really prepare for being told that you will spend your 23rd year of life having

surgeries, chemotherapy, and then radiation, that your hair would fall out, that your once-favorite foods would suddenly be your new enemy, or the countless other things you and your body would have to endure.

Even so, once the initial shock wore off I committed to myself to keep a positive attitude no matter what. They say that attitude is 80% of the battle, so I made sure mine was great, and my stubbornness was certainly NOT going to allow cancer to beat me. My Oncologist at one point said that in twenty years he had never had a patient like me. I was asked to speak with other patients, and countless people have told me that I am an inspiration to them.

This humbles me greatly, I don't feel that I was inspiring, I just feel like I did what I had to do. I was blessed with an amazing team at The Tom Baker Cancer Centre, a loving family, good friends, and strong faith. Without all that, I know that I wouldn't have made it. It is the people who stuck by me through everything and helped me get through the hard times that are inspiring.

It is the people like yourselves who care enough to make a difference that are the inspiring. For all of you taking part in this marathon and others like it, whether you are participating or donating funds, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. It means so much to me and to countless others like me. We are blessed because of you, we are honored by you.

Dear Family, Friends and Colleagues,
    I wanted to introduce you to Amber so you could understand the challenges she's faced and the fight and determination that has kept her alive. It is because of her story that I am going to undertake my own challenge. A challenge that is, of course, no match to what Amber and others have endured, but a way that I can use my own determination and fight to help others.

On December 11th, 2005 I will walk 42km in the Honolulu Marathon. But before I get there, I have pledged to raise $5,500 in support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada. I have joined the "Team In Training" Program where our goal is to run/walk and raise money in support of research targeting leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's lymphoma, Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and myeloma. Funds raised will help Canadian researchers discover better treatments for victims like Amber and hopefully, one day wipe out the number one killer disease of children, leukemia.

I realize my coming months of training hundreds of miles and the physical and mental stress that will come with it is nothing compared to what cancer victims endure. Nevertheless, I'm recruiting team members like you to provide me moral support for the months ahead and to help contribute to my fundraising goal. Don't worry, there's no walking or running involved for you!

Please consider being on my team by pledging one of these positions . . .

Be a Miler $1 for each mile I will run on December 11 (26.2 miles) = $26.20
    Be a Clicker $1 for each kilometer I will run on December 11 (42 KM) = $42.00
    Be a Trainer $1 for each mile of my training:
    100 miles (one month of training) = $100
    250 miles (five months of training is actually 400 miles, but close enough) = $250
    Be a Finisher Be there by getting a personal phone call from me right from the finish line = $500
    Be a Personal or Corporate Sponsor Your name and/or logo stenciled on my shirt = $500 plus
    Honor Ribbons If you know someone that has fought or succumbed to cancer, I would be pleased to honor them by writing their name on a white ribbon. This ribbon will be pinned to my shirt on race day. Please email me your honoree's name and I will prepare a ribbon for you. My email is listed below.

It's Easy to Join the Team

If you would like to be part of my team, please make your pledge by either:

§ Filling out the attached donation form and mailing it along with your cheque or money order

§ Filling out the attached donation form and faxing your credit card donation directly to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada at 604-733-2848

§ Or, you can make an on-line donation by visiting my personal web page <http://www.active.com/donate/tntcal/cherylnoel>

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada will issue you an income tax receipt for any donations of $10 and up.

I must reach 50% of my fundraising goal by September 21, 2005. You are welcome to forward this message on to family and friends whose lives have been impacted by cancer.

On behalf of myself and all those that will benefit from your generosity, I want to thank you in advance for joining the team and taking part in this very worthy cause!

You can phone me at 403.226-3737 (evenings) or email me at cheryln4@telus.net if you would like more information.

Sincerely,
    Cheryl Noel
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Good luck Jedi, my mom has lymphoma and I thought about doing this but decided to wait until next year. I will be interested to hear what you think about the whole process.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Support

It sounds like you have an amazing wife :) And I must give props to you for being able to stand by her and help her through.

In the past I was very active with our local Leukemia and Lymphoma society. Participated in Light the Night walks, other fundraisers etc. All in memory of my dear friend who succombed to Acute Mylogeneous Leukemia at age 22.

I would be happy to help sponsor Cheryl, though I cann't afford as much as I would like. Can I have her wear a ribbon in honor of Holly Ivy? (Yeah, her parents were cruel and her middle name is Ann ;) )

I hope more people on Optiboard support this worthy cause.

Cassandra

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Karen and Cassandra,
    Thanks for your support. It's tough to see a loved one go through such struggles.
    Karen, I hope your mom is on the road to recovery, our thoughts are with her.

Cassandra, I will make sure Cheryl gets a ribbon in honor of your friend. I too lost a close friend at a young age.

Best wishes
    Jarratt

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Jedi.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I became a "miler" this AM and got a lovely thank you from the society. Jedi, if you are in any danger of not finishing the 26.2 up there, give me a call and I'll do the rest from down here! Good luck! hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thanks HJ.
    I'll make sure to pass on the sentiments to Cheryl.
    Unfortunately, Amber and I might be stuck in Calgary(yuck, Calgary in December) while Cheryl is in Honolulu, but we are trying to arrange to go and cheer her on.
    Jarratt

:cheers:

Thread Information