Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ptosis crutch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier ptosis crutch

Anyone knows who makes the ptosis crutches-frames with the support for the upper eyelid? I think there's a guy in New Jersey but I heard he retired. HELP!!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Do it yourself.........................

Quote Originally Posted by optiboarder
    Anyone knows who makes the ptosis crutches-frames with the support for the upper eyelid? I think there's a guy in New Jersey but I heard he retired. HELP!!!
    Easy...........make it yourself.

Solder a metal bar to the top or side of the frame, cover it with a plastic tubing, adjust it the right way (which is the most delicate part).

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any good qualified optician should be able to make one. Or you can (if you don't mind waiting forever) get one from Frannel.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry but not every GOOD, QUALIFIED optician knows how to make it. Especially if they've never been taught.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shell Rob:

You missed the point, we fail to educate "good qualified opticians" this should be basic and in our training programs before "sales" and "the four thousand hours of education on progressive lenses."

Was a slam on our "training" and what we call opticians now, not the individual asking the question.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did misunderstand. I honestly don't even know anyone in my area that can provide this including myself and honestly wouldn't know where to go if indeed I was as asked.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The last one I made - used the inside of a side with a duff sprung joint, and heatshrink. the one before that was a reall bad problem - Nickel allergy... had to use a stainless steel side, and mount into a plastic frame drilled a oversized hole in the frame, but not going all the way through the front, and infilled with epoxy resin

The kids nowadays leave school with no hand skills in general, so we are all doomed

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optiboarder

Usually you just solder a cable temple to the bridge. It is kind of that easy unless you don't know how to solder. When I say solder I mean the arc solderer or using an electric soldering machine (same thing). Torch soldering in my opinion, a little messy, but if you can do it then great. Soldering is a great skill to have. I have heard of some opticians making money hand over fist for simply providing repairs. Don't know of anyone personally except myself, and I don't have access to a soldering machine. I am also not as proficient as I'd like to be. I will probably end up buying my own.

Occupation

Question the last qualified optician actively making these crutches died ....................

According to local Ophthalmologist's the last qualified optician actively making these crutches died about 3 years ago and nobody has taken his place in a city like greater Montreal with a population of 3,824,221.

So it is refreshing to hear that at least in Toronto is somebody that has taken up the craft to help the ones in need of such a device and do a little more than just selling glasses.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

So it is refreshing to hear that at least in Toronto is somebody that has taken up the craft to help the ones in need of such a device and do a little more than just selling glasses.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Some of us in the U.S. still make them too Maybe you should have some of the patients cross the border

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You know they surgically treat that in this day and age, you can even get most insurance companies to pay for it if you can show loss of field. I had to make on once and it was for an OMD that was just trying to rattle me, he did the surgery after I made it and told the patient I never made it right in the first place. I used silver wire, flattened through successive rolling between a small set of rollers before soldering to the top rim.

(never knew where the boss picked up that roller but he probably had it passed down from the thousand year old guy who used it once too.)

USELESS SKILL PASS
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation

Blue Jumper You know they surgically treat that in this day and age .............................

Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post

You know they surgically treat that in this day and age, you can even get most insurance companies to pay for it .......................

That is correct ................................

I have had it done twice over the last 12 years on my right eye which is doing 75% of my binocular vision. Done by an ophthalmic plastic surgeon under local anaesthesia and 6 students watching.

First time he cut some skin out on the eyelid.

Second time, 4 years ago he said that time he would remove a strip of skin right above the eyebrow line so he could go back into the eyelid if ever it was needed again. However at that place he would have to cut through a nerve and would loose all feelings in my forehead. I agreed and it was done that way, I lost all feeling on the right side of my forehead right back to me right ear. However most of it has come back over the last 4 years.

I never needed to make my last ptosis crutch for myself and still have a ticket for a third shot to operate if it happens again.

Occupation

USELESS SKILL PASS
    Not really useless, I make one or two every month. There are patients that for one reason or another cannot have surgery. There are those where the surgery has gone wrong, they also need them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know they surgically treat that in this day and age, you can even get most insurance companies to pay for it if you can show loss of field. I had to make on once and it was for an OMD that was just trying to rattle me, he did the surgery after I made it and told the patient I never made it right in the first place. I used silver wire, flattened through successive rolling between a small set of rollers before soldering to the top rim.

(never knew where the boss picked up that roller but he probably had it passed down from the thousand year old guy who used it once too.)

USELESS SKILL PASS
    Not sure surgery is always the best option - there are risks with any kind of surgery, which many people would like to avoid if they can.

Seems to me that something like a crutch would be a nice first option for quite a few people. So, no, not useless.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We (our owner) made one from piano wire last year ... he's fourth generation optician and there was no way he was going to not try and be defeated!
    Pt is very please and has only needed one or two adjustments since.
    We have some very skilled people here in the greater Seattle Metro area.

CS

Occupation

Blue Jumper there was no way he was going to not try ...............................

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinxsmith View Post

We (our owner) made one from piano wire last year ... he's fourth generation optician and there was no way he was going to not try and be defeated!
    Pt is very please and has only needed one or two adjustments since.
    We have some very skilled people here in the greater Seattle Metro area.

That is a nice an very positive post. How many of the younger generation have the same
    attitude ?

Specially rhese days where everything is presented on silver platter where in the old days we had to do with available material and just do it.

However I can see that also opticians will have to go back to learn the basic manual servicing of optical frames and lenses as major manufacturers are forcing their way into the retail field.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yup, we use to just solder a heavy duty paper clip to the frame....
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    Yup, we use to just solder a heavy duty paper clip to the frame....
    Kind of a dead thread, but I'd like to mention that if a patient has a sensitivity to metal, it likely will be a nickel allergy; silver or gold fill are safer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Many Ophthalmology Clinics now have Plastic Surgeons on staff just to do lid lifts.

Strangely many new OD's don't even know what one is, and many ODs and Opticians have never seen one. Its been about 15 years since I have seen one.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Many Ophthalmology Clinics now have Plastic Surgeons on staff just to do lid lifts.

Strangely many new OD's don't even know what one is, and many ODs and Opticians have never seen one.
    They need to get edumacated

Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Its been about 15 years since I have seen one.
    You must lead a very sheltered life

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    We need some better marketing if we are going to bring back the ptosis crutch.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zewe View Post
    Yes !!! Maybe if we raise the prices from $XX.95 to $XXX.95 it will help to show more value. Or maybe if we edumacate the D---D young Od's we will see more of them.

Occupation
    One of the reasons that I see so many of them here is that many of the local Fundamentalists don't believe in anything but absolutely necessary surgeries. Lid lifts are not high on the list of necessary surgeries.

Occupation

Blue Jumper many of the local Fundamentalists don't believe in ..................................

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post

One of the reasons that I see so many of them here is that many of the local Fundamentalists don't believe in anything but absolutely necessary surgeries. Lid lifts are not high on the list of necessary surgeries.

................... unless you are the person whose good vision is affected by an eyelid obscuring the vision by hanging partially over the pupil. In a period of about ten years I had a second fix on my right eyelid.

When your vision is affected you will need a crutch or the surgery, and I opted for second one..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ahhh... for the pride of good ptosis crutch maker

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zewe View Post
    Hi Joe
    Its been so many years since I visited the Board I'm embarrased to say. But, I caught your comment surrounding ptosis crutch. You are 100% right about marketing. In fact, opticianry has suffered so badly because of it, I feel sad knowing there are opticians today who sold maneure 3 months ago! Technology has done its number on opticianry for sure, but opticianry has done a number on itself for not embracing technology, establishing a value proposition that distinguishes it and united to keep standards and education up. Thanks, Alan W

Thread Information