Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ptosis crutch

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier ptosis crutch

Anyone knows who makes the ptosis crutches-frames with the support for the upper eyelid? I think there's a guy in New Jersey but I heard he retired. HELP!!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Do it yourself.........................

Quote Originally Posted by optiboarder
    Anyone knows who makes the ptosis crutches-frames with the support for the upper eyelid? I think there's a guy in New Jersey but I heard he retired. HELP!!!
    Easy...........make it yourself.

Solder a metal bar to the top or side of the frame, cover it with a plastic tubing, adjust it the right way (which is the most delicate part).

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any good qualified optician should be able to make one. Or you can (if you don't mind waiting forever) get one from Frannel.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry but not every GOOD, QUALIFIED optician knows how to make it. Especially if they've never been taught.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shell Rob:

You missed the point, we fail to educate "good qualified opticians" this should be basic and in our training programs before "sales" and "the four thousand hours of education on progressive lenses."

Was a slam on our "training" and what we call opticians now, not the individual asking the question.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did misunderstand. I honestly don't even know anyone in my area that can provide this including myself and honestly wouldn't know where to go if indeed I was as asked.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Can't they also be had from Hilco?? Might be better service than Frannel.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ptosis crutch.

Metal frame: Get a piece of music wire (hobby shop) bend to desired shape, and weld to top of chassis. Custom bend for correct tension and shape, put shrink tubing or cable temple cover on same. Charge enough for your trouble.
    Plastic frame: Do same band either heat with torch and embedd into frame or soldier a plate on music wire and drill holes, then screw into frame chassis (front for newbies) .

Chip

Most folks given a description and use of same could design and make one on thier own (the way I had to make my first one). This business is not rocket science.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 08-25-2005 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Really bad phraseing

Occupation
    Excellent point, Chip.

I wonder if any of the schools actually have the students fabricate and fit ptosis crutches these days. Does this ABO exam cover the subject? If you don’t teach it and you don’t test it, it dies. It won’t be long before patients with third nerve palsy or myasthenia gravis just have to tough it out. All of the real opticians will have retire or gone on to their eternal reward.

Oh . . . . the humanity!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

FDA Listing.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    The FDA lists following manufacturer for the ones that can not make their own:

Device Listing Database

Proprietary Device Name:PTOSIS SLING (PTOSE-UP)Common/Generic Device Name:PTOSIS CRUTCHClassification Name:CRUTCH, PTOSISDevice Class:1Product Code:HJZRegulation Number:886.5600Medical Specialty:OphthalmicOwner/Operator:IOLTECH, S.A.Owner/Operator Number:9065607Registered Establishment Name:FCI SUDEstablishment Registration Number:3004467263 Date of Listing:03/12/03Listing Status:Active Establishment Operations:Manufacturer

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Ce

Sounds like this might be the topic of a good one-hour credit education course. I just wonder how many O's would show?

Occupation
    I really don’t think that a one hour CE “course” would turn out a capable fitter of ptosis crutches. You have to actually fabricate the things and actually attach them to various frame materials and adjust the things to real people. Maybe a day would give someone the rudimentary skills to perform this task.

I have also heard of a number of practitioners who will not fit a ptosis crutch or in any way alter an ophthalmic frame for liability reasons. If the patient can't find an optician willing and capable of fitting a ptosis crutch and surgical intervention is inappropriate the patient is screwed.

Of course there is always Scotch tape.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't had a call for one in years. But, you can forget the music shop! I've always used the metal at the end of a temple. You can use shrink tubing or the plastic sleeve you use on cable temples.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Ptosis crutch.

Metal frame: Get a piece of music wire (hobby shop) bend to desired shape, and weld to top of chassis. Custom bend for correct tension and shape, put shrink tubing or cable temple cover on same. Charge enough for your trouble.
    Plastic frame: Do same band either heat with torch and embedd into frame or soldier a plate on music wire and drill holes, then screw into frame chassis (front for newbies) .

Chip

Most folks given a description and use of same could design and make one on thier own (the way I had to make my first one). This business is not rocket science.
    Now that brings back the old days...though I use to use paper clips.......
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for your replies. I think I better look through my inventory and start playing with my soldering iron.
    Wish me luck.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Use a butane torch or electric welder for frames, soldering irons don't get hot enough (except for plastic).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The last one I made - used the inside of a side with a duff sprung joint, and heatshrink. the one before that was a reall bad problem - Nickel allergy... had to use a stainless steel side, and mount into a plastic frame drilled a oversized hole in the frame, but not going all the way through the front, and infilled with epoxy resin

The kids nowadays leave school with no hand skills in general, so we are all doomed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Went to a course this weekend (Vegas) entiltled challanging fitting solutions, they showed crutches and many other fitting suggestions, for prosthetics (SP?) and people with out ears...some decent stuff.
    Last edited by cinders831; 09-19-2005 at 06:05 AM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    who did the course? Like to know those few Opticians left.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optiboarder

Usually you just solder a cable temple to the bridge. It is kind of that easy unless you don't know how to solder. When I say solder I mean the arc solderer or using an electric soldering machine (same thing). Torch soldering in my opinion, a little messy, but if you can do it then great. Soldering is a great skill to have. I have heard of some opticians making money hand over fist for simply providing repairs. Don't know of anyone personally except myself, and I don't have access to a soldering machine. I am also not as proficient as I'd like to be. I will probably end up buying my own.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    who did the course? Like to know those few Opticians left.
    The fellow whom taught my class was Alex Yoho ABOM. Nice guy and full of information.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hilco can do it......

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    Jacqui is correct, Hilco can do it....it takes about a week. Just send the frame you want done to their repair service. It takes about a week and its a very professional looking job. They make it look like it was manufactured that way.

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only problem with having some service center do it, they really need to be hand fitted, to patient's lid crease, and lid tension. Ideally, they will allow the lid to open an close but give enough tension to keep the lid open wide enough to allow vision.

I learned how to make a ptosis crutch in school. But since then I have never seen one person with crippled eyelids.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One could also look at the services of the local denture lab, or Maxio-facial Lab - those guys are very skilled at bending metal wires, spot welding and polishing and regulrlary deal with many metal and plastic combinations. A while ago, my office was next door to a maxio-facial lab, and thier work is inspiring, far beyond the skillset of our repairers

Another option would be the local jeweler. Once I had a one-off screw made for a antique restoration I was doing. I was gobsmacked... The inch long silver screw fit straight into a solid silver pair of sunglasses, first time, no adjustments at all, old fashioned thread and all that

Thread Information