ptosis crutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ptosis crutch

Anyone knows who makes the ptosis crutches-frames with the support for the upper eyelid? I think there's a guy in New Jersey but I heard he retired. HELP!!!

Do it yourself.........................

Originally posted by optiboarder
    Anyone knows who makes the ptosis crutches-frames with the support for the upper eyelid? I think there's a guy in New Jersey but I heard he retired. HELP!!!
    Easy...........make it yourself.

Solder a metal bar to the top or side of the frame, cover it with a plastic tubing, adjust it the right way (which is the most delicate part).

Comment

Any good qualified optician should be able to make one. Or you can (if you don't mind waiting forever) get one from Frannel.

Comment

Sorry but not every GOOD, QUALIFIED optician knows how to make it. Especially if they've never been taught.

Comment

Shell Rob:

You missed the point, we fail to educate "good qualified opticians" this should be basic and in our training programs before "sales" and "the four thousand hours of education on progressive lenses."

Was a slam on our "training" and what we call opticians now, not the individual asking the question.

Chip

Comment

I did misunderstand. I honestly don't even know anyone in my area that can provide this including myself and honestly wouldn't know where to go if indeed I was as asked.

Comment

Can't they also be had from Hilco?? Might be better service than Frannel.

Comment

Ptosis crutch.

Metal frame: Get a piece of music wire (hobby shop) bend to desired shape, and weld to top of chassis. Custom bend for correct tension and shape, put shrink tubing or cable temple cover on same. Charge enough for your trouble.
                Plastic frame: Do same band either heat with torch and embedd into frame or soldier a plate on music wire and drill holes, then screw into frame chassis (front for newbies) .

Chip

Most folks given a description and use of same could design and make one on thier own (the way I had to make my first one). This business is not rocket science.
                Last edited by chip anderson; 08-25-2005, 09:20 AM. Reason: Really bad phraseing

Comment

Excellent point, Chip.

I wonder if any of the schools actually have the students fabricate and fit ptosis crutches these days. Does this ABO exam cover the subject? If you don’t teach it and you don’t test it, it dies. It won’t be long before patients with third nerve palsy or myasthenia gravis just have to tough it out. All of the real opticians will have retire or gone on to their eternal reward.

Oh . . . . the humanity!
                  Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Comment

FDA Listing.......................

Originally posted by Jacqui
                    Can't they also be had from Hilco?? Might be better service than Frannel.
                    The FDA lists following manufacturer for the ones that can not make their own:

Device Listing Database

Proprietary Device Name:PTOSIS SLING (PTOSE-UP)Common/Generic Device Name:PTOSIS CRUTCHClassification Name:CRUTCH, PTOSISDevice Class:1Product Code:HJZRegulation Number:886.5600Medical Specialty:OphthalmicOwner/Operator:IOLTECH, S.A.Owner/Operator Number:9065607Registered Establishment Name:FCI SUDEstablishment Registration Number:3004467263 Date of Listing:03/12/03Listing Status:Active Establishment Operations:Manufacturer

Comment

Ce

Sounds like this might be the topic of a good one-hour credit education course. I just wonder how many O's would show?

Comment

I really don’t think that a one hour CE “course” would turn out a capable fitter of ptosis crutches. You have to actually fabricate the things and actually attach them to various frame materials and adjust the things to real people. Maybe a day would give someone the rudimentary skills to perform this task.

I have also heard of a number of practitioners who will not fit a ptosis crutch or in any way alter an ophthalmic frame for liability reasons. If the patient can't find an optician willing and capable of fitting a ptosis crutch and surgical intervention is inappropriate the patient is screwed.

Of course there is always Scotch tape.
                        Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Comment

I haven't had a call for one in years. But, you can forget the music shop! I've always used the metal at the end of a temple. You can use shrink tubing or the plastic sleeve you use on cable temples.

Comment

Originally posted by chip anderson
                            Ptosis crutch.

Metal frame: Get a piece of music wire (hobby shop) bend to desired shape, and weld to top of chassis. Custom bend for correct tension and shape, put shrink tubing or cable temple cover on same. Charge enough for your trouble.
                            Plastic frame: Do same band either heat with torch and embedd into frame or soldier a plate on music wire and drill holes, then screw into frame chassis (front for newbies) .

Chip

Most folks given a description and use of same could design and make one on thier own (the way I had to make my first one). This business is not rocket science.
                            Now that brings back the old days...though I use to use paper clips.......
                            "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I think I better look through my inventory and start playing with my soldering iron.
                              Wish me luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X