Nikon At Walmart ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon At Walmart ??

I had a patient today that claims he purchased @ Walmart, however he is wearing Nikon progressive lenses. Our doc is a newely converted Nikon fan (??) and told the patient "Walmart can't sell Nikon, it is PROFESSIONAL product only".

The glasss were purchased in the U.S.

Does Wally sell Nikon in the U.S.

Thanks for any feed back!!

I don't think they can get it directly from Nikon, but they can get it from other labs.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Comment

Wal-Mart sells a package called Nikon Eyes in the US. The line is available in single vision (poly aspheric, I believe) and PAL (I'm not sure what the PAL type is- Ovation, Natural, or it may be one of the actual Nikon designs). I believe it is available as a package with Zeiss AR.
      Pete Hanlin, ABOM
      Vice President Professional Services
      Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Comment

The lens has a Nikon "N" engraved, appears to be fit @ 15mm.

We quoted him a price for a Nikon I (I suspect this is some form of) and he payed "way less" for the whole pkg (frm,lenses,ar) including exchange.

My lab will have the lenses in the AM, and try to confirm the style.

Maybe the Nikon fan will switch teams !!

I don't find much value in Nikon Lenses, other than consumers knowing the name.

Comment

Originally posted by lensguy
          The lens has a Nikon "N" engraved, appears to be fit @ 15mm.

We quoted him a price for a Nikon I (I suspect this is some form of) and he payed "way less" for the whole pkg (frm,lenses,ar) including exchange.

My lab will have the lenses in the AM, and try to confirm the style.

Maybe the Nikon fan will switch teams !!

I don't find much value in Nikon Lenses, other than consumers knowing the name.
          What I cannot get is the hype for the lenses in Canada. I had this one former optician (retired two years ago) in my store today. She is looking for new glasses. She believes and when she was in the business she believed that Nikon was light years ahead of everyone else.

Personally, I am not a big fan of their coating or their lenses (good, but not great)

Comment

The Nikon 'Walley Way'

The Nikons are their premier lens. This is their big ticket, and the Holy Grail for the Walley opticians to sell. I stopped selling it in my office cause who can compete $ 4 $ with the largest merchant in the world. It is kinda neat, cause when you Haaaah on the lens a logo shows up if you have enough hot air. Now :drop: Garth has gone to the dark side and will only sell his CD's at Walley World!!!

Comment

Nikon Eyes website

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
              Wal-Mart sells a package called Nikon Eyes in the US. The line is available in single vision (poly aspheric, I believe) and PAL (I'm not sure what the PAL type is- Ovation, Natural, or it may be one of the actual Nikon designs). I believe it is available as a package with Zeiss AR.
              http://www.nikoneyes.com/lensmenu.htm

They were in my "files".

Just in case anybody wants to go there for any reason.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Comment

While working for wally I sold a ton of them. I dont know if nikon sells a diffrent style to indys vs. corprate but when you blow on the lens NIKON shows up. Other than casting you own lens(having a mold made only for you) I dont know if you can get anything that is not sold in SOME chain some where.
                Paul:cheers:

Comment

Nikon Presio I (or maybe "eye") 13

My lab says they are "Nikon/Essilor Presio I (or eye ?) 13".

13 mm corridor and 15 min fit ht ........ also available in "presio I 15" fit height 18mm

He also told me Nikon is supplied through Essilor (50/50 owners).

Comment

When I was working at wally mart I rarely ever sold the nikon lens.. Cast in 1.59 poly... it was rarely ever thinner than our natural.. If customer's wanted a thinner lens than our standard Essilor Natural in poly, I would defintely skip the nikon and straight into the seiko proceed or zeiss gradal brevity..

Comment

Believe in Santa.....................

If you want to believe in Santa Claus ................be my guest...................

If WalMart decides to purchase and sell an item, whatever it is they will get it. Any manufacturer or distributor will lick his fingers if he can make an acoount like this.

If a supplier wants to protect a certain sector of the market, he simply repacks the product into another box or names it another name.

Comment

Exactly Chris....

Comment

If WalMart decides to purchase and sell an item, whatever it is they will get it. Any manufacturer or distributor will lick his fingers if he can make an account like this.
                          I can think of a few products WalMart would like to distribute that they do not get from ophthalmic manufacturers (some of those products being from Essilor).
                          Pete Hanlin, ABOM
                          Vice President Professional Services
                          Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Robertson
                            The Nikons are their premier lens. This is their big ticket, and the Holy Grail for the Walley opticians to sell. I stopped selling it in my office cause who can compete $ 4 $ with the largest merchant in the world. It is kinda neat, cause when you Haaaah on the lens a logo shows up if you have enough hot air. Now :drop: Garth has gone to the dark side and will only sell his CD's at Walley World!!!
                            Funny you should mention the haaah thing. We had a friend of ours ask, "If they can make a lens that when you haaah on it, fogs, except for the NIKON name, why don't they cover the whole lens with coating on the NIKON letters so that it doesn't fog up?" I told them it is that way because we are dealing with the French.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Cherry Optical
                              Funny you should mention the haaah thing. We had a friend of ours ask, "If they can make a lens that when you haaah on it, fogs, except for the NIKON name, why don't they cover the whole lens with coating on the NIKON letters so that it doesn't fog up?" I told them it is that way because we are dealing with the French.

Adam
                              What happens, from my understanding, is that they just do not place the hydrophobic coating in that area, so it just fogs up differently.

Anyways, I hate that nikon when you breath on the lenses. It drives me nuts

Comment

Working...
                              X