Thread: any opticians going for C.O.A. and or C.O.T.?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

any opticians going for C.O.A. and or C.O.T.?

Any of you optiboarders that are opticians venturing into the opthamology department? I was interested in getting my certification as an opthalmic assistant to further broaden my education as well as my knowledge and experience in optical but saw that in order to sit for the test I would have essentially work with an opthamologist and have his signature approving my competence and that there were other requirements. I really want to venture into the more medical aspect of optical but would like your guys' advice on how to proceed. Thanks..

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I just past my COA. I've been in MD for over a year now, much different than ABO but does have light and refraction parts. requirements are differnet also. requirements are that you must pass the take home study guide test and have been working under an MD for min 1 yr that vouches for you

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Coa Cot

Opticianary education is changing too. Most opticianary programs (AAS) teach an introductory refraction course usually 4 college credits and 9ABO CEs. I took my courses after I graduated (both parts for ABO credit only).

If I was to dsign a Vision Sciences program at a college I would have a core of courses that all would take and a series of courses specificallydesigned for each of the 3 specialties Ophthalmic Dispenser, COA and COT. I would offer additional post grad courses (post AAS) for refraction 2, ABO/AC certification prep and even ABO/M course prep

I am not belittling your achievements but instead am trying to make the process more uniform and consistant across the board for all those involved.

Ed

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rolandclaur
    Any of you optiboarders that are opticians venturing into the opthamology department? I was interested in getting my certification as an opthalmic assistant to further broaden my education as well as my knowledge and experience in optical but saw that in order to sit for the test I would have essentially work with an opthamologist and have his signature approving my competence and that there were other requirements. I really want to venture into the more medical aspect of optical but would like your guys' advice on how to proceed. Thanks..
    I believe that an optician going for a COT or COA is doing something outside of the goals of opticianry. Opticians are independent practitioners and this isn't a small thing. Like you, I find the medical aspects of the eye absolutely fascinating and read ophthalmic journals at my local university (Rutgers) to read up on the medical aspect of the field. Being an assistant is great, but not if you want to further opticianry or further yourself as an optician. I would consider something like Allied Health before COT or COA.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optician COA COT

Nothing wrong in my book with having additional qualifications in the optical field. There is considerable overlap between these professions.

As a contact lens fitter I know how to use a slit lamp, corneal topographer, and keratometer. I also learned to over refract as part of my CL fitting as a way to fine tune a CL fit

As part of my education I learned the principles of refraction ...the OAA 100 hour course

In working with an OD I learned to do visual fields again not a difficult process

I would not mind hanging an extra pi3ece of wallpaper in my office so long as they recognize my education as well

Ed

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    of course there is nothing wrong with qualifications, but I was mainly focusing on opticianry and opticians in general. Being an assistant to anyone is not a step an independent practitioner should take if they want to further independence.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go for it. I did and left it lapse because the ce requirements are different and not available at opticianry meetings.Theeducation and study certainly comes in handy for those of us in ophthalmologic and optometric standings. The exams are more detailed than ABO/NCLE even at the COA level with different components. Work for where you need to provide for your self and family in tomorrow. Well qualified and trained COA's-COTS make more money than many opticians especially in unlicensed states.

I encourage my staff to be cross trained and some are persuing the same. We need to be able to interpert the patient's medical/optometric records and determine how to triage a problem and make sure it gets to where it needs to go.

My knowledge in these areas as well as refraction helps me to problem solve at a much higher level and keeps our ophthalmology based patients happy. I also needed the advanced education assist when I trial fit contact lenses.

The term of optician needs to be redefined to represent what their skills are and have title protection and standards incorporated in today's age.

Bev Heishman, ABOM, NCLC-AC, AASc
    Optical Manager
    Fava & Maria Eye Associates
    www.favamariaeyecare.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am actually looking into taking the COA this winter. I think it coincides with opticianary, and is especially useful in the more medical based settings.

Cassandra

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Was COTA back in the 70's and early 80's. At that time Boston College had a masters degree program and also the Bascolm Palmer Eye Institute at the U of Miami. I think both have closed. Also Connecticut COTA society had great weekend courses at U Conn in Farmington. Not sure if this is still the case.

Ophthalmic Technologist is wonderful field if you are more medically inclined and have a fairly broad college science background. Find a good MD as a mentor and go for it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rolandclaur
    Any of you optiboarders that are opticians venturing into the opthamology department? I was interested in getting my certification as an opthalmic assistant to further broaden my education as well as my knowledge and experience in optical but saw that in order to sit for the test I would have essentially work with an opthamologist and have his signature approving my competence and that there were other requirements. I really want to venture into the more medical aspect of optical but would like your guys' advice on how to proceed. Thanks..[/QUOTE]

I did as you are planning about 10 years ago an passed the C.O.A. I thought at the time it was one of the hardest test I ever took. It encompassed all aspects of the Opthalmological office including history, pretesting, refaction and a lot on diseases and pharmacology, I thought I was lucky I passed from what I heard at the time only a small percentage ever passed the test, but again that was ten years ago. Just my 2 cents;)

Oh a PS. About a year and half later the MD I was working for let me go and he never acknowledged that I spent my own money and studied myself for the exam because I wanted to be better prepared for the Doctor side. All it did for my efforts was to get me a boot in butt and shown the front door!

OptiBoard Apprentice

schools in Florida or Georgia?

Are there any schools offering the training in FL or GA? Are there any offering some of the training via long-distance learning?
    Jess

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jessica
    Are there any schools offering the training in FL or GA? Are there any offering some of the training via long-distance learning?
    Jess[/QUOTE]

Try there home page at JCAHPO :http://www.jcahpo.org/index.html

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    In most states opticians are not independant and having dual tracks increases your knowledge base and desirablity in the workplace. unfortunately in an unlicenced state your have to do what you can to stay in the area you love.

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I started out on the medical side, obtained my COA and held the certification while doing the Optician apprenticeship...have been licensed over 10 years and held the COA certification also. Finally let the COA go...could kick myself for that :( I'm actually considering retaking the test. Thinking of moving to Florida (from upstate NY) and found out that COA's are better paid in Florida than Opticians are. That and the fact that I really don't wish to take the contact lens portions of the test, which is required in Florida. Go for it, the more you know, the better informed your patients will be. I've been able to troubleshoot a lot of medical problems for patients by having the extra knowledge.

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got the CPO level cert. less than a year ago, and this fall, I want to take the Assistant level. In part, I want to do it for the extra cert. on the wall, but mostly, I just think it'd be cool to learn more about the stuff I deal with everyday, patient's eyes.

After that, I want the Tech cert., just to have it. I plan on opening my own high end optical, so I don't plan on needing it in my practical job, but I'm the guy who goes to college, and takes extra tests to learn, because I think it betters me.

I live in Florida, but don't know personally any other COAs to offer anything about pay here. And yes, there is a teacher in Jacksonville who teaches a class for the COA. I didn't take her class myself, but I think if you go to the AOA website, you'll find her info.

Good luck!

William
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IF you want to venture into the medical / optical - then do it! I started as an optician, then became a COT. Since then, I have had to opportunity to start my own business as an independent optician and have let my COT Cert. expire. I have no regrets! The experience was great. If I were not doing my "own thing," I would most likely be working in an ophthalmologists office that has an optical so I could do both!

Thread Information