Thread: Question re: high-end botique optical

OptiBoard Apprentice

Question re: high-end botique optical

I was a manager for Bailey Banks, Biddle Jewelers for almost ten years and then went to work for LensCrafters. Have been with LensCrafters as a manager, licensed optician for eight years.
    I recently was approached to interview with a high-end optical botique and have become curious as to what the differences are between the two types of business.
    As a manager for BBB, there were always concerns about inventory managment, damaging a customer's $$$$$ watch, ring, etc. Not having clients show up at a social event wearing the same earrings. Egos, white glove, red carpet customer service were on-going every day.
    What do you do if a customer decides they hate the frame they bought, they think you have damaged a frame in adjustment? How long can you use a patient's own frame over and over if they paid $$$$ for it?
    Do you have trunk shows?
    Jessica

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The first thing you will notice is that you would get a completely different customer in Lenscrafters compared to a high end boutique. I cannot get into the warranties and that, because it would be a company policy, but I think you will find people less finiky at a boutique.

You will also notice that it is probably more hands on at a boutique and that the customer wants you involved in the decision more.

Reusing the customers frame is up to the customer as long as it is in good condition; however, the higher end the store the more you will notice a turnover in frames.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After 8 years in the optical business, you've never been to a private boutique? If not, then you need to....you'll see the difference as soon as you walk through the door.

Bad address email on file VegasEyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Like Night and Day....

Are you coming to Vision Expo West? I manage several high end optical boutiques here and would love to invite you to visit! I also have worked for chain stores in the past and what I do now I wouldn't trade for the world. Usually the pay is MUCH better and the clientle is very different. No doctor. No insurance. No contacts. Equals less headaches! Hope this helps. And to answer your question the Trunk Shows are a BLAST! :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cynthia!

You are soooooo lucky!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

High end boutique

I managed one in Northern NJ for a few years 96-98. The least expensive frame was $150. Most frames were from higher end vendors including Cartier bread and butter was Air Titanium both rimmed and rimless. We only dispensed Varilyx and Zeiss Gradal Progressives 90% of the jobs had AR coat. THe key was service service service...you did what it took to make things happen hand delivering work to the lab was nothing unusual someone needed stones set into lenses for a pair of glasses you did it custom shape for a drilled mount...you made a pair of Plano samples then upon approval made the final glasses

Ed

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Optician
    I managed one in Northern NJ for a few years 96-98. The least expensive frame was $150. Most frames were from higher end vendors including Cartier bread and butter was Air Titanium both rimmed and rimless. We only dispensed Varilyx and Zeiss Gradal Progressives 90% of the jobs had AR coat. THe key was service service service...you did what it took to make things happen hand delivering work to the lab was nothing unusual someone needed stones set into lenses for a pair of glasses you did it custom shape for a drilled mount...you made a pair of Plano samples then upon approval made the final glasses

Ed
    That's what being an independent practice is all about, whether you are 'upmarket' or not.

Lewy

Thread Information