Thread: Starburst and Overminused Solution Coincidence?

OptiBoard Novice

Starburst and Overminused Solution Coincidence?

Here is my story. Had lasik surgury 8 years ago. Without correction, my right eye yields better vision than the left even though it has more starburst pattern at night. Have had 3 eye exams in the last month. With my new eyeglasses now I have razor sharpe vision in the left eye, the right is still a bit blurred.

Here is the strange part. When I take my new eyeglasses and put the left lense over the right eye I get razor sharpe vision also! But my optomotrist can't repeat my discovery with his eqipment or tests. So he won't up my right eye the half diopter which is what I need.

Will an opthamologist prescribe for this overminused right eye want?

Current 2005 prescription:
    O.D. -025-050x043
    O.S. -075-050x160

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Your optometrist has to account for binocularity as well as clear vision. Over-minusing your OD may cause you to get headaches. Go back to him and ask him to double check the Rx.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The starburst effect at night may be do to the pupil dilating larger than the ablation zone. Similar to the effect older PMMA lens wearers had with large pupils and small lens diameters. There is nothing that can be done for this. Some of the newer lasers such as Wavelength Allegretto offer extended ranges not previously available. Be frank with your optom and ask him to trial frame you. He should use a red/green test for RX balance but this pair may be all you need at night.Use an AR coating to eliminate the glare from the glasses lens though.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks for replies. Just to clarify, its the daytime vision that I am equally concerned with. Am not worried over the starburst at night. I mention it only in that there could be a link: perhaps I actually need more correction that is not being detected due to the lasik starburst thing. I have no known eye conditions, so why should the half diopter more correction be harmful. Its not a case that my optomotrist is holding back full correction for some medical reason, rather, he is unaware that I need higher right eye correction under his standard testing arrangement. To reiterate: with -.25 spherical correction right eye is currently a tad fuzzy, but with -.75 it is perfect. Why can I see this in the real world but not on a chart?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps the eye chart is illuminated in a dark room. The real world is not.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you question the vision with BOTH EYES OPEN using them together, then by all means, let your doctor know. If not, you should trust your doctor. If you don't, then that's a problem all in itself.

OptiBoard Novice

Update discovery

[QUOTE=chip anderson]Perhaps the eye chart is illuminated in a dark room. The real world is not.[/QUOTE

I thought it was fatigue that prevented me from getting the same result in the evening night hours. But I tried it again carefully several times. Recall I have stronger nightly starburst pattern in the right eye due to lasik 8 years ago.

First to repeat: in daylight, when I put the left -.75 spherical eyeglass lense over my right eye (which was given -.25 spherical) it brings it to razor clear vision. When I carefully repeated the experiement at night it did nothing, it even seemed worse. Trying this at dusk made it only a bit clearer, and again in full sunlight, it was amazingly crisp.

This outcome is counter to what I have read online; cases like mine always finds improvement with a stronger prescription for night time, not daytime. I may have some anomoly not detected. Not sure how my optomotrist might respond. Is this something not explored? I could not find anything online. Thanks to you all for contributing, everything helps.

OptiBoard Novice
    Does anyone know if it there are any sort of reliable eye exams that can be done with bright light conditions. There must be some reason they are done in the dark. Given my case mentioned above, would some of you deem it OK to up my right eye prescription the half diopter for daytime eyeglasses?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contrast Sensitivity is a test used to evaluate glare in different lighting situations.

Thread Information