Thread: Trouble with New Trivex Lenses

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OptiBoard Apprentice

Trouble with New Trivex Lenses

Hi, I'm new to the site and just wondered if anyone got the new Trivex lenses but preferred the old polycarbs better. I also got AR coating on the new pair but the old pair still seems better. I know the new Trivex are supposed to have better optics but my old pair seems sharper to me. I have single vision with one eye being -2.0 and the other eye is now -4.0. The old pair from two years ago has -2.0 and -3.75 so not that much change. Any feedback would help as I have less than 30 days now to return if not happy.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's difficult to understand why you don't see at least as well with the trivex. If you move your head up and down, do you find a clearer spot in your lenses, other than what you normally are looking through?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Well, I can see things differently with the Trivex but when I put my old pair on which has the same strength lens in the left eye, the vision seems crisper. I have been wearing the Trivex for 5 days now and keep putting my old pair on to compare and they're close but the polycarb seems brighter or crisper. Also, the AR coating on the Trivex does not seem as "glare free" as the polycarb and I was reading on the internet about Trivex having trouble with AR coatings. With the Trivex, it seems like I get out of forcused more and have to blink to regain the focal point (which seems strange when the Trivex are supposed to have a "revolving" for lack of better word focal point.
    I'm scared to turn these back in and get the same kind I did the last four years (which I believe are Slim Lite Clear (aspheric) from EyeMasters for fear that after I get the new ones, I should have stuck with the Trivex.....

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did they say why they were putting you in the Trivex to begin with when you didn't have any problems with the polycarbonate?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    No, The optician just said the Trivex were better and the newest in technology plus lighter lenses and so I thought well, newer, better, ... figuring things were always getting improved on.... I later talked to another optician and he said that I should go back to the store and have the prescription checked for one thing. I just thought maybe it was something I had to get used to. I can still read signs in the distance with either pair (bearing in mind the newer pair has the enhanced prescription.) It's like the optometrist saying does this look better or how about this and if I was making the decision at that time, I would have picked the polycarb. The hard thing is I am comparing the old prescription to the new and in some ways the new is clearer naturally because it has the corrected prescription. To go on further, I might say the Trivex optics would be softer and the polycarb appears sharper -both being legible.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Being a person myself that did switch fropm polycarb to trivex, it took me awhile to get used the the change, but I eventually did. It ook about a month...no kidding

I wonder with your prescription being what it is, why they would recommend trivex over a high index or not to keep you in the poly.......one must wonder....

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I am glad to hear that you also have the Trivex and that it took you some adjustment. Please elaborate on why you wonder about my prescription. What is a high index and if you had my prescription, would poly be better per say? I just wonder why we have to adjust to the Trivex when I would not have to adjust to the poly? My whole decision rests on the fact why is the adjustment worth it? If the Trivex lens is better overall, then should I make the concession to adjust wherein the poly is working for me. Is there some research done the line that will show staying in Trivex will reduce the need for stronger glasses later on or what? Thanks.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Adapt............................

Quote Originally Posted by bev
    No, The optician just said the Trivex were better and the newest in technology plus lighter lenses and so I thought well, newer, better, ...
    The old story............also more expensive and profitable. Poeple fall for it and then start doubting the change they made.

Now that you have them...........get used to them.....there is no harm done........you just have to adapt to the little difference of picture your brain perceives and it will adapt as long as Rx and measurments are correct.

Thread Information