Thread: Classical Opticians

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Classical Opticians

CLASSIC - klas’ick – as per Daniel Webster could be defined as 1.) A standard to follow 2.) Memorable and unforgetable 3.) A masterpiece or model, and

4.) Traditional style and elegance.

Every professional discipline has it’s own form of Classics. As opticians, we all remember some of the optical classics such as the Artcraft Leading Lady, Pathway Challenger, and Ray Ban G15 Aviator. However, if you are talking to a fisherman, the word CLASSIC is right up there with the best of sporting events such as the NFL’s Superbowl, World Series Pennant, Stanley Cup Playoff, and NASCAR. To be specific, the Bassmaster Classic is the premier invitational fishing event that brings together 47 of the world’s best past and present anglers who compete to take a check home when combined with merchandise and sponsorships is well over a million dollars.

In addition to the spirit of competition among anglers is the opportunity for product sponsors to compete for recognition and profitability in the competitive (tournament) fishing arena; gas companies, boat manufacturers, outboard motor manufacturers, pickup trucks, rods, reels, tackle; and yes even POLARIZED SUNGLASS companies strive to make the mark by convincing anglers their product will contribute to an anglers competitive advantage. With a million bucks on the line, most anglers know there is no room for compromising and are therefore attentive to availability of the best tools for accomplishing the task at hand.

So when the 37th annual Bassmaster Classic was recently held this year on Pittsburgh Pennsylvania’s three rivers (Mongahela, Allegheney, and Ohio) , two ABO certified opticians, Optician Assoc. of Pennsylvania members, and Costa Del Mar sunwear vendors were called to duty of helping fit Classic participants up with the performance sunwear line. Linda Boss of A. Boss Opticians in Pittsburgh, PA and Kevin Treat of Metropolitan Optical in Clarks Summit, PA also spent four days at the Classic Outdoor expo educating Classic attendees about the importance of quality sunwear. This included the opportunity to present the performance sunwear line to many other competitive (tournament) anglers from around the world. Costa Del Mar marketing representative Travis Owens indicated that at past Classics, many expo attendees inquired about availability of prescription polarized sunwear. Therefore, Costa implemented the use of ophthalmic vendors to represent their sunwear at this years Classic and outdoor expo. Although the Bassmaster Classic may never return to Pennsylvania during Linda and Kevin’s optical career, it will indeed be an unforgettable experience.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations, Kev - good job. Did you get in any fishing?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    I didn't have the opportunity to wet a line since I was too busy working the event. However, I did have an opportunity to make it to the final day send off in the AM. .........Very Cool

The best experience was getting to meet the pros and being able to share our knowledge of optics and sunwear for their consideration.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Kev,

Proud of you and Linda. It was probably hard leaving the family and your (at last) infant son. Bless you and them. Say hello to your wife for me.
    We will see all of you in October at the convention? Maybe we should have a bass fishing seminar since we are in the outer edge of the Pocono's.

Best,
    Bev

Occupation
    Thanks Bev,

It was very hard leaving but I committed to the event quite a while ago. Special thanks to my mother in law who helped out while I was away.

My pending ABO seminar was actually first developed as an informational sunwear seminar for fishermen so it wouldn't be that hard to get talking about fishing.

See you in October!

Thread Information