Thread: OMG Lenses too thick! Please Help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OptiBoard Apprentice

OMG Lenses too thick! Please Help!

Hi There!

Sometime ago I made a post (http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...097#post105097) asking for some help to buy new glasses. After a long consideration, I decided to buy Stylis 1,67 with Alizé and Transitions. Today my glasses arrived, and I´m shocked!

I expected a thickness around 4mm in the borders, but it´s a little bit more than 5mm and the aspect is not good. I´m very disappointed with this new glasses, I paid a small fortune for it (here in my country it´s very expensive), and I believe I´ll contact Essilor. My previous glasses used a cheap material and was thinner than this one (4mm on borders). I just can´t believe! Please see below my specs:

Prescription:
    Right Eye -6,50 Sphere -0,50 Cylinder 160ş
    Left Eye -6,25 Sphere -0,50 Cylinderl 45ş
    Pupilar Distance 61mm
    Total glasses length: 130mm
    Lenses Height: 30mm
    Lenses length: 50mm
    Nose rim Length: 20mm

The previous glasses have the same specs, with exception of the sphere, it was -6.00 on both eyes and the lenses was in other format:
    Lenses Height: 35mm
    Lenses Length: 48mm

I attached some pictures (new and old glasses with a ruler), please see them and give me an opinion. I´m very sad and not sure if I can go on streets wearing this new glasses. :(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foto1.JPG   foto2.JPG   foto3.JPG   foto4.JPG   foto7.jpg  

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well your new glasses are a completely rimless frame apart from your full wire frame that your old glasses were. That could be one factor as to why your new lenses are as thick as they are.. Check to make sure that the CT on both lenses is not more than 1.5-2.0 mm thick..

OptiBoard Apprentice
    CT = Center? If so, the center on both lenses is 2-3mm thick. I´m just wondering why the new lenses is 1mm more thick than the old one and I paid 5x more for it, and my prescription increased only -0.25 on Left and -0.50 on Right. Would this small increase be the cause of this?

Carlos

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I know of a few places that add a little thickness on hi index drill mounts they feel that it adds to the structural integrity. Hi index lenses may have a high tensile strength but they can still snap in half. The extra thickness could be created by the different shape. The further away from the center of the lens the thicker the edges. Are your old and new lenses similar or did they use the exact shape?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I ran the #'s through the blank thickness calculator on Darryl's website (opticampus.com), and at a 1.5 C.T. there should be 6.0mm E.T. The only way to make a pair thinner for you is to match the frame PD (width + bridge) to you anatomical PD. For example a frame with a 44mm width and a 18mm brdige will generate a 4.1mm E.T.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    So if the width was 6mm lower than what it is the lenses would be 1mm thinner? Is it possible to reduce it on the lenses I already got?

Thread Information