Thread: Rimless frame causing major uneasiness

OptiBoard Novice

Rimless frame causing major uneasiness

Hello All,

I'm a new user of this forum and did not find a "Search" option for the forums and hence trying to get some info by posting a new thread.

I recently (2 days ago) got my prescription lenses made in a rimless frame. I'm wearing glasses for more than 20 years. Always near-sighted and the Rx is -1.5 and -1.75. Both SP. So, simple one.

After wearing this new frame, I start getting weird feelings withing 10 minutes. Headache...eye-strain...general un-easiness.

Is there something that is not correct @ the glasses ? My doctor did say that the lens power and PD was correct.

Has anyone experienced anything similar ?

Thanks !!

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Svk,
    Now that you have registered the search function should appear on the toolbar in the middle.

On to your question,
    Two things I would investigate about your glasses.
    1) Change in material. with your relatively low rx you have probably worn CR-39 (regular plastic) most of your life. The problem with CR-39 in some rimless frames is it can chip or crack under stress. Therefore many dispenser will offer different materials to remedy that, but occasionally clients are sensitive to the change and have a hard time adapting.
    2) Change in base curve. Some rimless frames require the lab making the lenses to change or match a base curve (front curvature). Whether it is for cosmetic or structural reasons. Again, occasionally this will differ from what has been worn in the past and can create visual problems.

Have your optician look at these two issues first before proceding with any redoes.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this a completely rimless frame with drill holes? Chances are they made the lenses in a material called polycarb. It works very well with drilled frames. A few people are sensitive to wearing this material and find they don't see well out of it.

I would take the new glasses and your old glasses back to the optical and have them compare the glasses. The previous poster said your old glasses are probably regular plastic, if so the optician can look at then and tell if they are high index, polycarb, or standard plastic.

If it is a problem with the material there is another material that is excellent for drilling called Trivex. It is extremely rare to have a problem wearing it. It isn't quite as thin as polycarb, but that should be okay in your glasses. The only problem I see is that most chain opticals don't deal in Trivex, so depending on where you got them, they might not be able to get it for you. It is also slightly more expensive.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks folks !! I needed to actually lon-in again to see the "Search" option.

Even though my rx is low, I have always used "glass" lenses. This is the first time I had polycarb lenses.

I'm now looking through the search results to see if there is something that can be helpful to me...

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the condition persists, I would have the base curves checked between the old and new pair. It is unlikely that the frame would be the cause of your problem because you see through the lenses, not the frame, but it is possible that the pantoscopic angle is different from pair to pair (the angle at which the lens is oriented to the eye).Have that checked at the same time.Good luck.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I bet going from glass to polycarb is the problem if everything else checks out. You won't find anyone who will do glass in a drill mount frame. Your best bet is trivex, but even that will be different then glass.

Have you really worn the new glasses? Sometimes there is an adjustment period when changing lens materials.

Thread Information