Thread: problem new glasses

OptiBoard Novice

problem new glasses

Hi. I'm having problems with my new glasses. I have worn glasses since I was in 2nd grade and am 26 now. I've never had much trouble adjusting to new glasses except for this time so I think something is wrong with them. My perscription is almost identical to my last pair according to the doctor even though I've had them for 10 years (which makes me pretty happy) and I only got a new pair because my old frames are falling apart and my lenses are stratched. But here's the problem. With my new glasses everything looks squished in whatever direction I'm looking except for straight on. It makes me feel like I'm wearing progressives and I'm not. I told the lady at pearlevision that when I first put them on and she dismissed it as adjustment time but it's been two days now and I'm wearing my old glasses because they actually work (unlike the new ones). I'm going to take them back thursday but it would help if I knew how to explain the problem.

When viewing the frames it looks like the glass is tilted forward and isn't setting on the ridge on the grid properly. Would that alone account for all of the distortion in every direction? My mom thinks so because she had a pair that did the same thing and the doctor had to fix it but it was at a different place. These are pearlevision microthins. Are certain kinds of lenses known for distortion problems and if so what kinds of lenses are the most distortion free, because I will buy them. I am a comic book colorist, computer artist, gunsmith, shooter and archer. Distortion is simply not acceptable. I can't work or play in these new glasses. These glasses have no special options. Not transitional, not special coated, just stock microthins. My old glasses are an older type of thin plastic and aren't really any different in thickness. Like a mm makes any difference to someone who actually wears glasses full time? That might be important for open frames but these are full so I really don't care about thickness very much. I just don't want distortion.
    I picked the largest full frames they had available which are still a bit smaller than my old ones. Could that alone account for significant distortion? They are more square than my old frames which are soft radius tear drop at the bottom and arched at the top.
    Anyway how can I explain the problem to the people at pearlevision, what kinds of things should I ask them to check, which kind of lenses are bad and good for distortion problems, and would the frame size alone cause this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Any information would be appreciated.
    thank you.

frames are gant g chatham sblk 52 19-145
    perscription is
    -5.25 -0.50 x037
    -5.25 -1.50 x150
    pd 60

old frames were 51-20s perscription largely unchanged.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bet someone changed the material from CR-39 to Polycarbonate. Or possiblely to some other new miracle material. Next possibility: Vertical center is off, usually calculated at center of lens unless someone notices this frame has your eyes centered up or down.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am curious as the the exact old script. Some docs will say little change, even if they change the astigmatism correction, either the strength or the axis.

I am not familiar with Pearle's "microthins", are these poly or a high index. Aspheric?

The measurements certainly need double checked.

By all means go back to the people at Pearle and tell them that you still are having trouble. They should help you figure out what the issue is.

Cassandra

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You say the lens is tilted forward? Is there a lot more tilt then your last pair? That could be part of the problem.

It could be many things. Are the new lenses polycarb? Are they aspheric? The people at Pearle can answer these questions. They need to compare the 2 pairs of glasses and see what is different.

1) The tilt of the lenses. If the new pair is more tilted in at the bottom it can effect how you see. Have them look at how they fit on you compared to your last pair.
    2) The pd and how the optical centers line up both across and up and down.
    3) The lens materials. There are several types of thinner lenses. You said your last pair had thinner lenses. The people at Pearl can tell if they are polycarb or some other material.
    4) One pair might be aspheric and the other pair might not be.
    5) Base curve could be different, though this wouldn't be my first guess.

Have them compare both pairs. Make sure they double check the new glasses and make sure the rx was written down correctly.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Have them compare both pairs. Make sure they double check the new glasses and make sure the rx was written down correctly.
    This happens more often than people would think. I can't tell you how many times I've wracked my brain trying to figure out what was wrong with a pair of glasses, only to find out that either the OD or the tech wrote the RX down incorrectly. The lab can only fabricate what they're given. :D

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondJim
    This happens more often than people would think. I can't tell you how many times I've wracked my brain trying to figure out what was wrong with a pair of glasses, only to find out that either the OD or the tech wrote the RX down incorrectly. The lab can only fabricate what they're given. :D
    It happens. If someone has a problem with his/her glasses I always make sure it was written down right. People make mistakes.

Another optician brought me a patient's glasses and said she was having problems seeing out of them. They had prism and the other optician thought there might be a problem with the prism. No, the other optician had put the lenses in backwards! Always double check.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Axis

Make sure the axis is correct....both produced and written from dr's rx (assume it is written correct from dr). It is not common for axis to be that different in your eyes, but not impossible. Have the staff contact your dr to verify.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It makes me feel like I'm wearing progressives and I'm not.
    have you worn progressives before? I am curious if not how you know what they look like?
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Definetely have them check the base curve. I have seen this problem many times where the base curve of the new lenses is different than the old and remaking the lenses with the same base curve as the old solves the problem. Have the PD double checked. Make sure they compare the fit of your old glasses to the new glasses, the pantascopic tilt and face form (the way they are wrapped) can also make a difference. If all else fails come see me in Texas, I'll figure it out, I'm pretty good in trouble shooting and adjusting, and everything else :bbg:

Good luck

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by omisliebling
    Definetely have them check the base curve. I have seen this problem many times where the base curve of the new lenses is different than the old and remaking the lenses with the same base curve as the old solves the problem. Have the PD double checked. Make sure they compare the fit of your old glasses to the new glasses, the pantascopic tilt and face form (the way they are wrapped) can also make a difference. If all else fails come see me in Texas, I'll figure it out, I'm pretty good in trouble shooting and adjusting, and everything else :bbg:

Good luck
    Yep

Base Curve is important.

I had a guy in last week that was wearing 1.6 glass. I switched him to 1.67 Aspheric. Never really thought when I did this. When he got them he could not see very well. Then it hit me. Anyways, two days later it clear right up for him.

He had to adapt to the base curve.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

could be other problem

There could also be another problem:

The optical centers were off in the old glasses and are now at the right place, this results also in discomfort.

Have the old ones compared with the new ones and tell them to re-make them exactly the same way the old ones were but with the new Rx.

Thread Information