Thread: Help with Briot ScanForm 5000 patternless edger

Occupation
    Optometrist

Help with Briot ScanForm 5000 patternless edger

Hello - first post here.

I acquired a practice 2 years ago that had a Briot ScanForm 5000 patternless edger sitting in the basement. We haven't used it yet, but are planning on starting up an in-house lab to service our patients, as well as those from 3 other "sister" practices.

I've noticed that quite a few people have this machine, so I'm hopeful that somebody out there knows what I need to know since we can't find a manual and Briot claims they don't have one we can buy or even download.

The problem is this - I am able to turn it on and everything powers up, and I can get it to trace the frame, but I have no clue as to what some of the numbers are that the machine is asking for. I'm guessing the first one is "pd" and the next one is optical center height but then that's where I lose it. Perhaps the next one is DBL and then seg height? I know the last one it asks for adjusts the overall C-size.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

-Steve

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster
    Hello - first post here.

I acquired a practice 2 years ago that had a Briot ScanForm 5000 patternless edger sitting in the basement. We haven't used it yet, but are planning on starting up an in-house lab to service our patients, as well as those from 3 other "sister" practices.

I've noticed that quite a few people have this machine, so I'm hopeful that somebody out there knows what I need to know since we can't find a manual and Briot claims they don't have one we can buy or even download.

The problem is this - I am able to turn it on and everything powers up, and I can get it to trace the frame, but I have no clue as to what some of the numbers are that the machine is asking for. I'm guessing the first one is "pd" and the next one is optical center height but then that's where I lose it. Perhaps the next one is DBL and then seg height? I know the last one it asks for adjusts the overall C-size.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

-Steve
    1)Dist OC (SV/vari)
    2)Height (SV/vari)
    3)Near OC for bifo
    4)Seg heifgt
    5)Size adjustment
    Last edited by rsandr; 07-31-2005 at 04:56 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also I have a manual if you would like me to san and email it let me know,

Regards,
    Rick

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Rick - Thanks for the info on which settings are which, very helpful.

I don't know how big that manual is, but if you could manage to scan that in for me, I would really appreciate it!

-Steve

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I guess I had one other question while it's still on my mind about the ScanForm 5000.

I had heard this before reading on OptiBoard but I've noticed a trend with people telling me it can't edge polycarbonate lenses. A friend of mine who owns a lab said that the same wheels are usually used for both CR 39 and polycarbonate, just that you want to dry cut polycarbonate until the last 2 passes or so.

So to test this, I took a polycarbonate lens blank and turned off the water pump and edged a lens just fine. Sure, dust flew all over the place but I figure I can rig up a dust/vacuum system to take care of that problem.

Any thoughts?

-Steve

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster
    I guess I had one other question while it's still on my mind about the ScanForm 5000.

I had heard this before reading on OptiBoard but I've noticed a trend with people telling me it can't edge polycarbonate lenses. A friend of mine who owns a lab said that the same wheels are usually used for both CR 39 and polycarbonate, just that you want to dry cut polycarbonate until the last 2 passes or so.

So to test this, I took a polycarbonate lens blank and turned off the water pump and edged a lens just fine. Sure, dust flew all over the place but I figure I can rig up a dust/vacuum system to take care of that problem.

Any thoughts?

-Steve
    If it has a glass wheel I would dry edge them on that. The newer machines have a combined cr39/poly wheel but some of the older ones like 4000,5000,6000 have cr39 wheels that dont like poly.
    I did poly on an old 4000 for years with no problem, in fact when I flat edged then polished on a rag wheel I got far better results than the finish I get from my Weco 450 with polishing wheel.
    (But its OK cos I use wipe on edge polish from yada yada yada we all know where its from.)
    As you say just give them a bit of water at the end when they are down to size to smooth them off. Be careful not to let the edged guff go down the drain hole, it really loves to cause a blockage.
    Rick

Bad address email on file
    I agree that you can edge poly with this edger, however I did not because it is truly not designed for that use... it is one of the best egers that i have used, my advise is to spend some money and get a briot accura or another edger that can cut poly... heck they even have an edger now that can nuet the script and drill rimless mount frames... awesome :)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Briot 5000

If you have dual roughing wheels, change out the glass roughing wheel for one that is poly compatable. if you have the single roughing wheel, you might change that to a CR/Poly combo wheel. You could look into a switch into the water pump with the option to manually pulse the water on and off . I have edged poly by opening and closing the water flow valve on the right side.

Ideal edger for poly ias a dry cutting edger like any of the optronics machines or an old AIT Destiny if you dont mind patterns. AIT's dust collector cabinet was the cleanest system of collecting dust and chips
    Ed

Thread Information