Thread: How To Find/Evaluate A Good Optician

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

How To Find/Evaluate A Good Optician

Okay, i am beginning to "get" the high importance of the fit (and thus the optician) for getting a good pair of PALS. Alas my single-vision lens days just came to a close

But as a layman/consumer, how do I find a good optician or determine if (s)he is good?? The first one told me that there is no such thing as atoric lenses in progressives, rather those are contacts only

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Just call around and question. See how they answer. Do they give you a run around and sales pitch? Or will they take the time out to help you regardless if it looks like you are buying.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    Just call around and question. See how they answer. Do they give you a run around and sales pitch? Or will they take the time out to help you regardless if it looks like you are buying.
    thanks... though if i were the practioner, i think i'd be more responsive to people who at least showed up in person!! You sound too generous!

In my extremely limited experience, it seems that some push a certain type of lens, which is okay if the practitioner offers a lens product i like and more importantly can do great work/fit (though being a layman i'm completely unable to judge their ability to fit me right)

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Yeah we all have our lenses that we prefer. But a good optician should be able to give you all of your options and together find what would be right for you. I have known way too many opticians that sell what the patient does not need or sell something like transitions with out telling the patient they will not change in the car! And if they are a good optician they will take the time on the phone with you. Our philosophy is to never ever leave a bad taste in a patient or potential patients mouth. We take all the time in the world to help even if on the phone. If they have no problem helping on the phone just imagine how they will be in person! Thats why our store was judged in the top 10 or so of stores in the Chicago land area.:cheers:

Thread Information