Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Tricks for Seeing Progressive Markings

Hi Ya'll,

I've been working in the optical profession in a local lab for about a year now, and I'm curious about what tricks you long-timers have found for seeing the laser etchings on the front of progressive lenses.

Here I was taught to hold the lens out at arms length towards the ceiling florescent lights and work till the markings pop out. I have also noticed that I can see the markings holding the lens down in front of me and catching a reflection off the ceiling lights, but this one is pretty hit or miss.

The real fun ones are the ones with AR coating. I know that folks walking by the lab and looking in have had to wonder why I was standing there looking like a fat version of the statue of liberty for 20 minutes trying to see that dang circle :bbg:

Somewhere my brain is telling me ... there must be a better way! Hopefully some of you have some better ideas.

I'm all ears... ;)

Fortunately we have an Essilor progressive lens identifier. It has a backlight with two filters, one is black with a ring around it (for glass) and the other is green with black dots (for plastic). I've also found if you hold the glasses vertically and look through the lens at a dark surface in a well lit area the markings will pop out. That also works well for looking at crazed lenses.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Comment

A lot of times if you let steam pass over the surface the markings will appear.

Comment

Try using and incandesent light and a 7x magnifier while viewing the front of the lenses at very close range, the marks, if present can be found.

Comment

On older lenses, often the marks at nasal will appear even if the temple or outer marks don't show up. Concentrate on those first. I think most people don't clean or wipe the lenses as strongly near the nose pad arms, or bridge, and if you can find one mark, you can generally judge where the others are (or lay the lenses on a lens layout chart and dot a line on a "90" where you expect the others to be) and look closer along that line at the expected seg height to find the outer ones. Using both marks will allow you to determine the probable lens brand/style, material and fitting height.
          I have more trouble with dark tinted lenses. And if I hold my head back to look up at the lens in front of a light more than a moment or two, I get dizzy! :hammer:
          sigpic "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Comment

Originally posted by varmint
            A lot of times if you let steam pass over the surface the markings will appear.
            Glass were always difficult, so used to breath on them, and rush to mark the lens before the engraving vanished again. Works better on a cold day.
            Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Comment

I'm not sure if I have a better eye than most I have worked with but it seems to me I have an advantage in being a high myope when I look over the top off my -4.00 lenses or take them off I can see every little mark in the lenses sometimes I see things I wish I didnt :finger: So I guess my advice would be find someone you work with thats very nearsighted they will probably see them. :cheers:
              Mike

Comment

The progressive lens identifier is a nonbrainer. It has a crosshatched pattern in the background (like a grid) and a bright green light. It's a total nonbrainer and works 90% of the time.

Comment

I haven't seen a progressive lens identifier. Who makes them? and how much do they cost

Comment

You can get a progressive identifier from any Optical Labratory Association member (if you have an account with the lab).

Comment

Originally posted by chip anderson
                      You can get a progressive identifier from any Optical Labratory Association member (if you have an account with the lab).
                      I think he means the light, not the book. Essilor used to have them on their "Edge" program-you could earn one by selling their product. Call your Varilux rep and see if they still do that.
                      Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Comment

What about for Glass lenses???

Comment

I had a doozy of a lens today. I think it's a Sola VIP (I could see it but not see it, if you know what I mean), but I'm not positive. I tried every trick I knew--the green PAL identifier, holding it up to various high-contrast lights. In desperation, I even tried the RGP reticle, but I couldn't get anything with enough contrast in the background. Everyone in the office, including the OD, had a crack at it--nothin'.

It's frustrating. Usually, AR or no, whatever design, I can spot it with almost no trouble. Aren't Sola PALs typically pretty tricky to spot? I seem to remember that mentioned a while back, and I don't see enough Sola lenses to be able to figure out if that's the case or not.

Comment

how do you dot up a Crizal, teflon, scotchguard whatever lens?

I had a customer who complained about her vision and she was wearing Crizal or similar type lenses. I usually use a fine tip permanent marker, but it was almost neglible. I had been told they are almost impossible to mark. I wanted to see how the seg and PD was placed in front of her eyes.
                            What do you do when you need to dot the lenses?
                            Jessica

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica
                              I had a customer who complained about her vision and she was wearing Crizal or similar type lenses. I usually use a fine tip permanent marker, but it was almost neglible. I had been told they are almost impossible to mark. I wanted to see how the seg and PD was placed in front of her eyes.
                              What do you do when you need to dot the lenses?
                              Jessica
                              I use a red china marker - you can purchase these at an office supply store..

Comment

Working...
                              X