Thread: Free 2nd pair promotions? O

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Free 2nd pair promotions? O

What do people feel about optical shop sales promotions that sharply discount the second pair ie: 50% second pair; or free single vision lenses on purchase of 2nd pair of frames.

I do feel that it would increase the percentage of people who are getting second pairs but would probably cannibalize those second pair sales that are currently occurring without the discount. I guess the important question is would it stimulate significantly more second pair sales than it's profit losing aspect on the existing second pair sales? If one offers free single vision lenses with a second frame then you can use stock uncuts for those jobs (unless patient wants to upgrade).

Business issues aside, I do believe that in most cases we can not achieve everything we want to with one pair of glasses. Computer vision glasses, polarized sunglasses, progressives, transitions, readers....these are all worthy choices of second pairs that helps really round out the patient's visual needs. However, these are costly and I can understand the hesitation on their part to get it. At least a sizeable discount helps to make the decision easier. I personally feel better when the patient isn't trying to cram diverse tasks into spectacles that are not up to it eg: trying to drive with transition lenses, doing computer work with readers etc.

In addition, it makes sense to offer a discount on the second pair since the second order requires much less work.

Bad address email on file
    I don't like it. No one likes it. Everyone wants to get paid what they are worth. The only reason anyone discounts the second pair is THEY FEEL THEY HAVE TO! In many cases, they do. If you offer no advantage over your competitor then your customer will pay the lowest price. The only way to sell higher than the competition is to have a real and perceived benefit that justifies the higher price. The key to success in business is figuring out how to justify a higher price.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Gimmicks

The issue I have with those type of deep discounts is that they are used more as a gimmick than an actually attempt to show value in a 2nd pair. When you start discounting that way, you are basically telling your clients that your prices are too high and are not confident in your product. The really good opticians can assess a clients needs, provide them with all their eyewear needs, whether it is one pair or five, all without resorting to discounts or bogos.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They are not really deep discounters. Go check out the price of those stores. I know one guy who marks up by 400 percent. Even the chains like Shoppers Optical have the frames priced rather highly to make up for the second pair.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jason and Jedi have said it all!!!!! Nothing more to say.

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I don't think it's as simple as portrayed here. Whereas I agree that we should not devalue our services, the second pair is not a real devaluation. First of all, we have already made a nice profit on the first pair. Hence, our services have been fully valued. We have already done all the paperwork and scut work on behalf of the patient and this means that it's not much more work to add the second pair. Whereas the first pair may take 80% of the chair time, the second probably takes 20% (usually less). This should be passed on to the patient.

The cheaper second pair is not a gimmick. It's a heartfelt and legitimate way to really try to get the patient what is in their best interest but is otherwise too expensive for them to afford. I remember that once I bought two lasers from a laser company. A year later I asked them to come in and do an in-house laser service. They charged me $600 for the first laser and then charged me another $600 for the second laser that was sitting right next to the first. Both servicings took about 20 minutes each. I was irate because although I was willing to pay an astronomical amount for the first servicing, I felt that they had been predatory on the second. After all, I had bought the lasers through them and they had been fully compensated for their expertise and time for servicing the first laser...they could have comped or discounted me on the second. I never used them again. I realize that this is example is extreme...but is it?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Get into a 2 for 1 sales technique and try to get out of it. You are screwed.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As far as the laser tech, did it not take the same skills, tools, time, etc to reservice the second laser as it did the first? The only thing different was travel, which you should have only had the one charge for...

It was already stated that we make a good profit on the first pair. While that may be true, by placing a heavy discount on the second pair we are devaluing that first pair. It puts the impression in the consumer's mind that we overcharge initially. Then you get the people who want to bargain with you and ask questions like, if you can give me 50% off the second pair, why can't I get some discount or the same discount on one..

Two, sometimes it actually takes more time to get the patient to agree to the second pair, and to see its benefits, than it does to get them to agree to the first pair. Then to get them to pick out the frame, lens options, etc, you really don't save any time.. and time is a valuable (i.e. cost) thing.

I find it best to simply educate the person and make them aware of what a second, or even third pair of glasses can do for them. Talk about task specific applications, the link between UV, cataracts, and macular degeneration, basically inform them of the health benefits. When discussing price I would typically figure out the price of the dress pair, then let them know, that for only $xx more, they could have a sun pair, or readers, or what have you, quoting the price for the lowest option. I know from my own experience, most patients seem to think that since the dress pair with the designer frame cost several hundred dollars, that a second pair will double their costs.. and when they realize that isn't the case, it becomes more appealing. Of course once they start looking at the cheaper frames, they have a tendency to upgrade to what they want and justifying the costs to themselves.

When looking at such discounts, it is also important to remember how much it costs you. Say you average 10% multiples now. IF you change your structure to 50% off the second pair, you now have to do at least 20% multiples to make what you were making before the sale. And if your optician takes more time to make the sale, then there is also decreased productivity ($/hr they bring in) and other factors as well.

Cassandra

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    idoctor,
    I wanted to respond to your post, but Cassandra pretty well summed it up.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    In th UK, the biggest player specsavers runs two for one all the time, however they do not offer on every pair but from a selected range, if people want that type of offer they get it, if people want designer they do not, it seems to work well.

We offer £79 off additional frames, customer pays any difference on the frame and full price for the lenses is a discount but customer appreciates as a good deal rather than being given cheap frames for free whcih are frequently not used.

Rising Star
    Over here, they have a $99 special for two pairs, some say buy one, get the 2nd free! They tout how important having a spare pair is because if you break or lose one you can fall back on the spare while you buy more glasses without having to go around blind or wear your old, weak glasses. The promotion does NOT include any upgrades and only applies for a small selection of frames. They sometimes end up better ahead if someone upgrades BOTH to high index or chooses more expensive frames then you pay for both pairs. Your $99 for two pairs could become $499 for two!

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wanted to put in my 10 cents in. We offer 2 dfferent 2nd or 3rd pair(how many they want. We offer a free frame with purchase of lenses at full cost or 20%off a complete pair. We get 50%off lenses from both our labs when job are ordered together. On our free frames they are frames we've received for free or just lower end frames(kenmark is great for this:) )

We aren't really losing anything from doing either one of these options. I guess that it's a matter of discounting where you as the practice comes out ahead. One of my lab reps suggested that we should pass more of the savings to the patient and I'm considering that since it might increase the 2nd pair purchases.

As for patient asking why they can't be discounted on the first pair. We tell them that we are passing along the savings the lab gives us on 2nd pairs, and that we don't get them on the first pair(ok something to this effect)

christina

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Wow, the lab gives you 50% off your second pair of lenses? That's impressive. I've never heard of that. Anyway, I like the concept and it makes sense to pass those savings on to the patient. Most of the time spent on the sale takes place on the first pair. Usually during that discussion the optician covers many possible alternatives. Therefore after the first sale is concluded it doesn't take much additional time to mention, "would you like us to use the second discounted pair for your polarized sunglasses." Or, " now that you've got your progressives done, would you like to use the second pair discount for those computer glasses that we discussed?". You can do this without devaluing your service in any way. For example, I recently had a newsletter made for my patients...the first 1000 copies cost a fortune; however, the next 5000 were dirt cheap. The printer told me it was because it is quite costly to initiate the printing, but after that the cost drops. I accepted that explanation without thinking that I had been ripped off on the first 1000 copies. The same applies for glasses; most of your expertise is paid for quite well on the first pair, cut the patient some slack on the 2nd.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Idoctor,
    Your analogy with the printer cannot be replaced with eyewear. The initial cost for the printer stems from setting up plates, design work, proofs, general leg-work involve in designing printed materials, and the first 1000 copies. The next 4000 copies are just the cost of the paper.

With multiple pairs of eyewear you are actually doing multiple consultations. They take place in order or they may be concurrent. I don't feel that because one consult takes less time than other, it justifies a deep discount. You wouldn't discount someone right off the bat, because they were in and out within 5 minutes, or discount for a second pair 8 months later. What about a husband and a wife that come in together and both want eyeglasses. Do you discount one because it didn't take as long, I don't think so.

To correct your analogy, go back to your printer and ask him how much he'll charge you for a 1000 copies of 2 different newsletters with different copy than the original. I imagine it will be very similar to the price you paid for the first 1000 of the original.

Thread Information