Thread: Color tint information...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Post Color tint information...

Looking information diferent relations for color tint and hobbies, work and other.. Example: What color is best for fisherman, baseball and etc?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Just off the top of my head, try Oakley's website and Essilor has an online version of their lens catalog.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would go to a tint companies website like BPI (www.callbpi.com) they have a lot of PDF documents with a lot of helpful tinting information. They have this type of info if I'm not mistaken. That's my two cents!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

For leisure a personal choice...........

Quote Originally Posted by melcas
    Looking information diferent relations for color tint and hobbies, work and other.. Example: What color is best for fisherman, baseball and etc?
    If you ask about color only, I don't think there is any specific color for out door hobbies or pleasure. It is all a matter of personal choice.

However for work related protection there are definit colors and absorbtions needed in some cases, as welding. You need the protection which in most cases again has nothing to do with the actual color.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you look at the July 2005 issue of 20/20 Magazine, on page 83-84 they have a chart "Choosing Sunwear for all the Right Reasons". It lists activities (like golf, driving, fishing) and the recommended color of tints and treatments.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm going with Chris on this one. It's personal choice.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    If you ask about color only, I don't think there is any specific color for out door hobbies or pleasure. It is all a matter of personal choice.
    Chris, I agree with your statment partially. Certain groups of colours will benefit specific tasks more than others. For example: Golfing. Due to the different cuts of grass between the fairway and the green, a player with a lens in the brown or rose coloured family is able to better assess where to aim the ball. This can make the difference between rolling it onto the green or sticking it on the fringe. A grey lens is often too neutral to see the difference. This really applies in Alberta when many of our days are overcast or the victim of too much cloud cover.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation

Got a point

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    For example: Golfing. Due to the different cuts of grass between the fairway and the green, a player with a lens in the brown or rose coloured family is able to better assess where to aim the ball.
    Jedi, you are totally right in your statement. We make colors for all different types of applications. In Europe they have new regulations for road safety ans traffic light recognition. For that we made a special color which is a dirty looking brown yellow. It seem to make the trick. However you can only suggest a color for a reason or use, if the customer does not like it he won't buy. How many women have told you that they wantt blue? This is the most awfull choice you can make.

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Polarized lenses change the rule

I remember when choosing sun lens color was as easy as looking at eye color of the patient. Lighter eye color, gray lens, dark eye, brown lens. There is the 20% that the rules do not apply. Once glare is addressed (PVA) that 20% increases 2,3 times.

I break up my fisherman (fisher people) into two groups. Sight fishers, and non-sight fishers. Fly fishers and people who find their target before casting prefer a polarized lens that helps increase contrast (most of the time). Non-sight fishers

gray or the color of their choice for polarized lenses.

Tight Lines

James

Occupation

prescribing colour

we find optimum 3D colour space position using instrument available in UK and Ireland, from there we factor in illuminant, use metamerism and give best possible lens. Colour Rx is as accurate as refractive Rx and often just as powerful.
    Simplistic prescribing (eg one colour fits one task/person) is relatively ineffective in comparison.
    Remittance, reflectance, ambient lighting and other factors (eg task) must be taken into account.
    Neurological effects include occipital cortex arousal changes, III ...VIII cranial nerve changes etc.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Question.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jordan
    .........................and give best possible lens. Colour Rx is as accurate as refractive Rx and often just as powerful.
    Simplistic prescribing (eg one colour fits one task/person) is relatively ineffective in comparison.
    Please explain, how many colours do you prescribe? And how many colours do you keep in stock to produce all the ideal colours?

Occupation

colour prescribing

We can find 16 million colours with differing degrees of brightness (although this is somewhat an overkill). We find a colour space envelope in which optimum vision is produced and then factor in the task. This allows us to use differnt types of filters, broadband, notch and band filters to achieve colour space position in lighting condition chosen. Standard tinting formats are not adequate for prescribing and results using standard filters cover too little colour space.
    We usually work to less than 5% ltf tolerance as it is sometimes critical. Any tinted lens can be factored in to the system but we found that we had to design a new range of filters as standard optometric filters are designed not to change position significantly in colour space. Sorry, some of the tint specifications are commercially sensitive and cannot be released publicly but we use thousands of colour space positions and can almost achieve LMS separation.

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation

sounds interesting Ian

I hope to learn more about the aforementioned soon, and thanks for the info.

Thread Information