Thread: Sales suggestion wanted:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Sales suggestion wanted:

As a new frame sales, the most common thing I could hear so far is "we have too many frames", and the conversation is nearly over. Is there anything I can do? I understand it and if I were that person I might not see frame sales either.

what expectation do people have for the frame sales? or it's just a hopeless job and I should quit?

if they say they have too many frames, ask them why they keep buying frames that don't move when your other clients sell X number of your frames a day, keeping demand high and backstock low. btw, i did sleep in a holiday inn express last night =)

joey

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you can, offer a consignment program. That is one way to create space for yourself pretty darn quick...
    PM me, I can give you more ideas..:idea:

Quote Originally Posted by caonimaxuebi
    As a new frame sales, the most common thing I could hear so far is "we have too many frames", and the conversation is nearly over. Is there anything I can do? I understand it and if I were that person I might not see frame sales either.

what expectation do people have for the frame sales? or it's just a hopeless job and I should quit?

OptiBoard Professional William Walker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ask to do a trunk show for them, on a busy client day. If their patients are genuinely interested in your line, you'll make a few sales, and the optician will see that he/she can actually move your product.

Also, if you can get around requiring minimums, starting with a small order is better than not starting at all.
    William Walker

Associates in Science in Opticianry
    Associates in Science in Optical Business Management
    Licensed Dispensing Optician
    Board Certified
    Certified Paraoptometric Assistant
    American Board of Opticianry Advanced Certified
    National Contact Lens Examiners Certified

Next Goal: ABOM

Optician with Lenscrafters in Jacksonville, FL

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by caonimaxuebi
    As a new frame sales, the most common thing I could hear so far is "we have too many frames", and the conversation is nearly over. ?
    I can really for you............I went through the same problems when I had my frame company (for 20 years) and started a the lonely ranger being rejected as you mention.

You just have to go back and go back and get the people involved into a conversation so that they remember you when you come back.

Give some excuse that you might get fired if you can not prove that you had at least a few minutes of conversation about anything. If you get there, steer it to some subject they like, sports, golf, boating.

Once they get to their favorite subject they will talk more than the 2 minutes you wanted. Mark everything down they said. Next time you come in talk again and get right to the subbject and ask some questions on something that is right in their line.........like " did the chemo work on your sister in law""........They will look at you as if you just came from mars because they will not remember having told you anything like that.

It works i guarantee you, the third time the peple will know you and start feeling bad if they wont at least look at what you got. At that stage half the sale is made.

I used to tell them "take one of this model" I will make a one sided bet with you and give 20 Dollars in cash if you will not send in repeat orders until my next visit. I never had to pay the 20 bucks, somehow it got burned into their mind and they showed the frame more often and actually sold a few first and half a ton of them as they started to like it more.

You find your own little tricks to sneak into these businesses, just dont get discouraged. Every start is hard and only insistence will get you to besome successfull.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You just started. You will be going through that for a while.

My suggestion is keep going to the accounts over and over again "just to say hello." Maybe bring a small box carrying four of your best frames to show them, just to take a peak at.

Eventually one will buy, then two, then three, then 20 then 30, ect. Once you get your foot in the door keep working it. That is how you develop regular sales.

Unfortunately no one ever tells reps that they will be poor for a while before they get rich.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    If you can, offer a consignment program. That is one way to create space for yourself pretty darn quick...
    PM me, I can give you more ideas..:idea:
    You don't want to share with everyone?
    ...Just ask me...

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so cute... of course I will share.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thanks for all suggestions. Because I'm new in this field, can anyone tell me more about what to avoid as frame sales?

Occupation

Unhappy consignment................................

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl
    Sure, if you want to finance your sales (through your company) you will make sales without problems.

However as you are paid on commision like everybody else in this field you have to check with your boss if he wants to become a frame company that will get eventually back 50-65% returns of the frames out on consignment.

These days many or the majority of opticians want to be financed by the suppliers.

This will also affect your income.........you make a $ 1,000.00 sale collect your commision at the end of the month and 4 month later goy got to pay back the company because your customer has returned half of the original order.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    As someone who always says "got enough" I've got to strongly agree with Chris Riser.

The new lines I added were from the reps who stopped by just to say hello every 12 weeks and were very personable. One rep it took a year before first buy, but now 20% of my office is her stuff. If I know I am on their route, it will be good service. Eventually another line will get a rep change which I will not like, and I will remember nice personable rep.

But not everyone has that much time to foster those relationships.

Harry

Bad address email on file

Selling advice

"I have more fun and enjoy more financial success when I stop trying to get what I want and start helping other people get what they want."
    -from The One Minute Sales Person, by Spencer Johnson, MD

"The Rainmaker puts himself or herself in the customer's shoes and answers the question 'If I were the customer, how would this product benefit me?'"
    -from How To Become a Rainmaker, by Jeffrey Fox

"The common mistake many salespeople make is to assume that customers want a product or service, when, in fact, customers want what our products and services can do for them."
    -from The Sales Advantage, Oliver Crom and Michael Crom

"People are interested in themselves. Until you realize that you will be beaten badly by your toughest competitor: indifference."
    -from Selling The Invisible, by Harry Beckwith

"Putting yourself in the shoes of your customer will help you understand what their real problems are, and what your product or service will do to solve them."
    -from High Performace Selling, by Terry Beck

Caonimaxuebi:
    What is your customer's biggest problem? How can you solve it?

Occupation

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    "I have more fun and enjoy more financial success when I stop trying to get what I want and start helping other people get what they want."
    That is your top solution. Because by being successful at that you create a larger circle of customers that are not looking and shopping for better prices. You will be getting the ones that have gained confidence in your services and recommend them yo your friend.

Example: My son in law and my daughter own a ladies spa in a suburbian office complex that has absolutely no passing traffic like you would have in a shopping center. They have a superbly designed facility. But if you dont know where they are you will not find them.

They are charging $ 110.00 for a hair cut and if a women goes though the whole procedure spa included the top price is $ 700.00. No advertising at all with the exception of a small nice website with a bad traffic rating.
    They rely fully on the word of mouth by well to do women and are booked solid from Monday to Friday evening.

Success comes with what you give the customer and your having fun doing it.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Good example Chris, but what got them to this point? Did they have previous Spa experience, and a clientele to build from? How long have they been at it? Was it pretty lean for them initially.

I have a friend with a similar experience. For years and years she ran a recruitment company, they placed temps and other admin staff and built relationship with the executives she was placing for. Also, she had a taste for the finer things in life and did much of her shopping at high-end boutiques. Fast forward, the whole Queer Eye, metrosexual male thing starts, she wants to opening a men's only spa. He address book reads like the who's who in Calgary, execs, concierges, personal shoppers, me ;) , etc.etc. Very successful launch. Now that is the way to break in to a business.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Carruthers
    -from The ........................................................
    Those are really good advices, but a little bit too general for people who are just new in business, they need to build credit which takes long time to do. I have good stuff and service, but who knows? for example, the first step, is saying hello in person to customers a better way than phone cold calling?

Bad address email on file
    "is saying hello in person to customers a better way than phone cold calling?"

If YOU were buying frames, how would you prefer the salesperson contact you? When you can answer that question, you are on your way to success.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cold Calls,

I and everyone I have ever met hate cold phone call sales. I seldom listen to and never buy anything sold from cold calls. All this does is create customer animosity.

The above goes double for unsolictied fax adds.

I also hate commercials played while I am on hold, being on hold is bad enough, to have to listen to a commercial while on hold is horrible.

Automated answering services also infuriate people. No one wants to listen and jump through hoops to get service.

Chip

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Maybe bring a small box carrying four of your best frames to show them, just to take a peak at.

Unfortunately no one ever tells reps that they will be poor for a while before they get rich.
    Great advice right there.
    During my short stint as a frame rep, I had a small briefcase with a clear lid, it held 12 of the companies best sellers. It definately whets the appetite to see more.

Does the company you work for have any affliation with buying groups? Many buying groups have some sort of newletter that goes out to all the accounts announcing new product lines and can be used to introduce a new rep. Some accounts will only buy through a group as well because they recieve a bulk discount and it simplies billing. Also as a rep you don't have to go around negotiating discounts and payment terms, it's all set up through the group.

The ability to offer or sponser continuing education is also a way to build the relationships with your clients.

Never forget about the little guys either. Take the time to see remote accounts. Every rep wants to see their product placed in the biggest accounts, but they will often cause the most problems when it comes to returns. Even though I think it's foolish for an office to have just 6 or 12 frames in one lines, "just to see", it is an opportunity to foster a new relationship and build upon.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    Does the company you work for have any affliation with buying groups? ....

Would you like to tell a little more about the "buying group"? are they a group of buyers, sellers, or somebody else? i have no idea if my company is one of them, but i'm curious about that. thank you. :hammer::hammer: :hammer:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Basically a buying group has a membership, which consists of a number of various offices. The buying group negotiate discounts with a number of suppliers, supplier also offer co-op $'s, training, etc. Each member pays a little to the group to belong and gets one bill at the end of the month. Like I stated before, there is often newsletters that go out to the accounts explaining new suppliers or promos and sometimes introducing new reps. If your company is affliated with any buying group definately take advantage of it.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    I and everyone I have ever met hate cold phone call sales. I seldom listen to and never buy anything sold from cold calls. All this does is create customer animosity.

The above goes double for unsolictied fax adds.

I also hate commercials played while I am on hold, being on hold is bad enough, to have to listen to a commercial while on hold is horrible.

Automated answering services also infuriate people. No one wants to listen and jump through hoops to get service.

Chip
    yeah that's right. though I 've not been cold called by frame sales I could imagin that. you can give some good examples that you feel comfortable when dealing with frame rep?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I've visited 61 shops these days here within 3 hours driving distance, then I got question like this: if people said they 've got suppliers already and no intention to change, they don't want to take a look on others frames, the business is slow... should I go on next or try another way to make people feel interested and take a look?

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Wave

Just keep door knocking! I won't usually see arep until they have shown that they are serious about getting my business, this usually takes about 3 or 4 courtesy calls. There are too many 'fly by night' reps out there trying to make a quick buck. There is an old saying in the Uk, "slowly, slowly catch the monkey" and this is certainly true when trying to ellicit new accounts. Also make sure you visit those practices that are sited outside of the main shopping areas, I have found thay are really pleased to see someone from YOUR company. Build that relationship before trying to sell the goods, go in with the attitude of fact finding, NOT selling, and don't lose heart, a BIG SMILE goes a long way.

Regards,

Lewy:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy
    Just keep door knocking! I won't usually see arep until they have shown that they are serious about getting my business, this usually takes about 3 or 4 courtesy calls.............................................
    :cheers: Thanks for your words. I was shouted by an optician today... I guess he's not in mood also probably he saw a young guy that would sell him something he doesn't want. :bbg: Maybe a more senior looking people could be treated better.:bbg::D

Thread Information