Thread: Canadian Feedback

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Canadian Feedback

Thank you for all the introductions. As I said I will communicate with all but there are some Canadian issues that it would be nice to chat with other Canadians about. I am sure the US crew feels the same. It was nice to read so many replies.
    I look forward to future discussions
    Rachel
    :cheers: It's always noon somewhere!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Here is a question. Why are the OD's in Ontario still doing cost plus?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile What's the problem?..........................

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Because they want to be prefessionals and not commercial ventures as opticians are. Professionals are not commercial the render a service for a charge.

What do you care.............it comes out to the same thing and more often than not they charge even more than you do.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Because they want to be prefessionals and not commercial ventures as opticians are. Professionals are not commercial the render a service for a charge.

What do you care.............it comes out to the same thing and more often than not they charge even more than you do.
    When they charge the cost of the product plus a $75 fitting fee it certainly does not come out to more than me.

Edit - A $75 mark up over the cost of the product is pennies once you get into the main stuff.
    Last edited by For-Life; 07-18-2005 at 10:52 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    For Life,

This is mandated by the Ontario College of Optometrists. OD's in Ontario are not allowed to do it any other way, but believe me they would like to. hopefully this will change soon. And you are right, a $75 mark-up on a pair of 1.67 progressives with AR is ridiculous. Most Ontario OD's that I speak to wish it were different.
    Brent

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drballen
    For Life,

This is mandated by the Ontario College of Optometrists. OD's in Ontario are not allowed to do it any other way, but believe me they would like to. hopefully this will change soon. And you are right, a $75 mark-up on a pair of 1.67 progressives with AR is ridiculous. Most Ontario OD's that I speak to wish it were different.
    Brent
    They could fight it

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Not really

For Life,
    I think I can safely assume that you do not have much experience dealing with regulatory bodies.
    Brent

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drballen
    For Life,
    I think I can safely assume that you do not have much experience dealing with regulatory bodies.
    Brent
    I have deal with our association, but it is very difficult. The main difficulty is the opticians do not get together. I am ignorant about the OD College here, but I hear a lot of complaining and lack of doing anything. If I was in their position I would fight.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

College Vs. Association

For Life,
    There is a large differnece between the Ontario Association of Optometrists and the Ontario College of Optometrists. The Association is an organization to serve their members (OD's) wile the College's mandate is to serve adn protect the public. One can be influenced by OD's, one can only be influenced indirectly through the election of suitable OD members. Generally half of a provincial college is composed of appointed members (non ODs appointed by the provincial government). Fighting a College is kinda like fighting income taxes. You can complain all you want, but in the end you pay them.
    If you were in their position you would do nothing more than pay your annual licencing dues , that is unless you wanted to take on the resposibility and workload of running for one of the elected positions. These positions generally take a signifact time away from your practice, and therefore are often filled by OD;s who are in a mature state of practice rather than a newer grad.
    Hope this answers your question about why things are the way they are in Ontario, and perhaps an Ontario OD will step in to state their own view some time in the future.

Occupation
    I agree, but you can fight it just like Income Taxes. You do not have to run for elections, but instead show the voted members that your point of view is important.

Lets take the Income Tax argument, if enough people from Canada show that they would prefer to cut back on social services for a tax break then the politicans will be swayed. How do you think the FDA and the CRTC get swayed?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Dead Horse

For Life,
    I have tried to answer your question as best I can, but at this point do not feel it is worthwhile trying to convince you that your view is not realistic. I will step away, agreeing to disagree with you on this point.
    Brent

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Is that rule about cost + $75 applicable only to the lens though? Not that I'd want to deny anyone from making a living, but it seems to me that the frames are marked-up a whole lot, and so is that AR coating for $100.

However, Zeiss Gradal Top 1.67 with Transitions for Cdn$350 retail from the OD seems comparatively low.

Thread Information