Thread: Deer whistles or other ideas?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Deer whistles or other ideas?

Yes, I know this is another odd one from Jo:

Do deer whistles or any other devices work? Every year there seem to be more and more deer jumping out onto onto one of our winding back roads. A few times I've gotten lucky and was able to avoid them but ... am I bound by the laws of probability here?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Carry a skinning knife.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe the police have to come out and okay that first Chip. I'd still rather not have my front end totalled by a deer. Did that two years ago with a trailer hitch (thanks to crumple zones ) and I don't want to repeat it.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo
    Yes, I know this is another odd one from Jo:

Do deer whistles or any other devices work? Every year there seem to be more and more deer jumping out onto onto one of our winding back roads. A few times I've gotten lucky and was able to avoid them but ... am I bound by the laws of probability here?
    I hear they work. No one I know who has had one has had a problem.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been concidering making devise for the garden to keep deer out.

It's a motion sensor that emits the sound of an enraged grisley bear.
    I suppose when we get a prototype you could attach it to your car.

Chip

As to the whistle: Call your local automotive body shop for the real scoop.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

The "heavy metal" solution!

Hello Jo!

This probably would not appeal to anyone who drives a typical passengar car (sedan, sports coupe or the like), but if you drive a jeep, pickup or SUV, you could install a "grill guard" or "brush guard" up front. Maybe you have already considered this! Of course you would need to have more clearance when you park, and it would probably cut your gas mileage some. With a quality, robust grill guard or brush guard in front of your radiator, the deer takes the brunt of the collision, instead of you or your vehicle. It might also be called a "push bar". Once I had the general misfortune to be stationed in Australia's Northwest Territories for a few weeks to assist in a computer system installation. A lot of the vehicles had hardware like this mounted in front of the radiator. They called it having "Kangaroo bars" put on the vehicle, if I remember it accurately.

http://accessory-center.com/default.plx/30/1424
    Last edited by rinselberg; 07-14-2005 at 01:01 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    I have been concidering making devise for the garden to keep deer out.
    It's a motion sensor that emits the sound of an enraged grisley bear.
    I suppose when we get a prototype you could attach it to your car.
    Chip
    Chip, my dad has a motion detector style deer deterent (don't think it sounds like a bear though) and I think the deer have decided its a chow call! This year my folks have lost the green beans, the okra, and my mom's daylily blooms! They normally plant a lot of other things, but decided it wouldn't be worth it this year. And no, my dad doesnt keep a gun. He has taken some gorgeous photos of the deer grazing by the garden swing, etc.

Jo, they have lots of deer out in the country where my folks live. And people are often having near accidents on the country lanes where the deer will run together....you miss one and almost get hit by the second one jumping the lane and hedges. I'll ask if they know if their neighbors use the auto whistles.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I've read articles on this subject in Popular Science, Car & Driver, and have seen these devices scientifically discussed on television (might have been MythBusters or some similar show). Likewise, several insurance companies and police organizations have tested these devices.

From everything I've seen, no one has been able to demonstrate that these devices are even partially effective. Having hit a deer myself some years back, it would be nice to find an effective method of warning them.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I have about a dozen of these critters eating my roses as I send this. I don’t think that I can take much more of this barnyard abuse. Grills and other protective devices are worthless against these vermin. It seems that they are always in full flight when you schmuck them – they are over the grill and into the windshield before you can say Bambi. Just be careful out there.

This really should not be a problem as Mr. Remington and I have the solution. But, the wife thinks they are so cute. She wants me to run down to the Grange Coop and buy some deer feed. I would probably get tarred and feathered for that one around here. I’m conflicted!

Ahhh . . . The solution just came to me.

ANNOUNCING: The First Annual OptiBoard Trophy Hunt.

PS: Took this picture of the forest youts yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    Grills and other protective devices are worthless against these vermin.
    Not if you follow Chip's advice and bring a deer home for dinner. Grills, the back yard type, can be quite effective. ;)

rbaker, if you don't mind me asking, is your avatar a Vietnam Campaign Ribbon?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo,every one I know who has hit a deer had the deer whistle on there car. I agree with Chip,,carry a sharp knife and a cell phone. by the time the tow-truck gets there you could be close to done!!:D
    Paul:cheers:

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Actually, this brings back a memory from deer camp. On the weekend before buck season, we were "spotting" deer (you take a spotlight through the corn fields in the area you hunt to get your adrenalin up- helps you tolerate the freezing conditions during your hunt ;^).

Anyway, we're all soooo intent on looking up in the field that we almost ran into a buck that was just STANDING in the road (got about 10' from bumping into him at about 20mph)! Wish they stood like that during hunting season!!!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    A lot of the vehicles had hardware like this mounted in front of the radiator. They called it having "Kangaroo bars" put on the vehicle, if I remember it accurately.
    I've heard them called "boomer bars", I believe a boomer is a kangaroo.

Jo, I was recently talking to my insurance company regarding how they file claims. (My engine needs to be replaced after all this flooding we've had here) According to my adjuster, the best course of action is not to swerve and avoid (at high speeds) but to slow down and collide with the animal. A couple of reasons why, if you swerve hit the ditch and collide with something else it becomes a collision and your fault. If you collide with the animal it is considered a comprehensive claim and not your fault. Hopefully, neither will happen, but best not to make a bad situation worse especially with insurance companies.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The projects in the six-year, $286.4 billion highway and mass transit bill range from $200,000 for a deer avoidance system in Weedsport, N.Y
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1455507/posts

Saving Lives of Moose and Men

http://www.defenders.org/newsroom/moose.html
    ...Just ask me...

Thread Information