Thread: This sucks!!! What do I do now???

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This sucks!!! What do I do now???

My Distributor for Metzler frames just went "Belly Up"!

The company was:
    FMG Exclusive Distribution Inc.*Rolf Giessen*Euro Distribution
    4770 Lincoln Avenue, Beamsville, Ontario L0R 1B3

I have 22 frames left from the lines of Otto Kern, Marc O'Polo, Giordano, Jeff Banks and Metzler.

My buying group won't help out and I can't bring myself to sell these below cost and I won't sell anything unless I can get parts.

What should I do?
    Is there a Metzler distributor in the USA?
    Should I wait till a new distributor for Metzler comes out?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

That's it, I'm never gonna deal with SMALL frame companies ever again!!!
    :angry:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    That would suck ... :(

I hope you can find a US distributor ...

If not, you could always sell them on Ebay ... or that optical auctions site ... or perhaps even on Optiboard ...

HTH

Karen

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Metzler = Moulin....................

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie G's

My buying group won't help out and I can't bring myself to sell these below cost and I won't sell anything unless I can get parts.
    Very interesting.......Metzler was the LUXOTTICA of the 1960s and 1970s. Best German frame manufacturer.

It was taken over 2 years ago by MOULIN (largest frame manufacturer) in Hong Kong who just went bust 2-3 weeks ago.

Looks like a chain reaction has started.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a closeout rack for frames like that. No warranty no exchanges, I tell the customer that they are one of a kind , that they are discontinued, or manufacturer is no longer in business. I sell them at 50% off. You'll move them! People like them for "back-up" pair or computer...etc.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sometimes even give the frames away as second pairs or for poverty cases but with lenses at regular price and the understanding that there is no warranty and no parts available. But you would be supprised how many patients want a pair to paint the house, work on cars, work in the garden, etc. Some even want a second pair in reading Rx or Distance Rx , or even set up to focus when working under the car, etc.

Then if I can't even give it away, you can always donate to the Lions Club (You can take this off taxes) or some other more or less worthy cause.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm with you on that Chip. I have a lady that bought 3 pair of glasses in March and came in the other day and bought 2 more. All at full price. When she came in to pick those up, she saw a frame on my closeout rack. I told her that she could have any frame on the rack free, all she had to do was buy the lenses. It was my gift to her, she found 3 and bought the lenses, so I made her very happy, she made me happy so all is well.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Metzler Problem

Moulin which owns Metzler is bankrupt and there is doubt if anyone will take over the business as it existed. The license branded lines will probably be re-licensed to someone other optical manufacturer.

Compared to a number of companies you did get hurt too bad.

I would move on and do what you have to do to recover some money or trash them and admit it is a full loss.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Problem solved!!!

Thanks to Infinity Optical they took these frames and gave me full credit on the value that I bought them for.

I had to buy 3 times the number of frames and promised to keep 24 in stock of at all times, once the 66 frames start diminishing...

Talk about a win - win situation for both parties!
    I'm a happy camper!
    :D

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Problem solved!!!

Thanks to Infinity Optical they took these frames and gave me full credit on the value that I bought them for.

I had to buy 3 times the number of frames and promised to keep 24 in stock of at all times, once the 66 frames start diminishing...

Talk about a win - win situation for both parties!
    I'm a happy camper!
    :D
    Infinity has been making some interesting changes

CDOT
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Infinity has been making some interesting changes
    ...Cam Holliday...?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm.... the last time I saw Cam was when he was with Essilor?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CDOT
    ...Cam Holliday...?
    No, I have someone else.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DUH!

Well seems you have the age old problem, " I won't sell anything if I can't get parts". I remember back in the 60'S and 70's and 80's, all frame reps used this ploy to sell. Pure crap! In todays world of high production low cost frames you need to get the best deals you can and make it work.

Part of the problem today is, most so called optical professionals can't work lenses into another frame, so they need to be able to get parts.

Your buying group has no reason to "help you out". They are just getting you a discount and you must decide what you can sell and what to buy. You sound a lot like the customer who buys a pair of glasses and then complains "I don't like this frame". So what? Buy another one .

Almost every day I put someones lenses into another frame because the place they got them can't.
    Learn to be a real Optician and a good buyer and quit whinning. ADAPT.
    Sell these frames then when they get broken sell them something else the lenses will fit into and give them a discount.

This business is full of inept whinners. Some of them whine because they can't pass a simple ABO exam. Maybe they should do something else.
    I run a business with no warranty other then I stand behind my work. You buy it, you break it, you pay. I will help you out, but I will not be responsible for your carelessness.

The reason chains have to give money back is because they hire people who know very little or nothing so they have to back them up.

When you give money back you are losing that person forever. Also you will lose most of the people they tell the story to. You also admit that you don't know what you are doing. If the customer doubts your skill they will challenge you. I have never fit anyone with glasses that knows more about them then I do. I have told a few that thought they did, let's swap seats you need to be doing this. I do it this way and stand behind my decision. They have to trust me and if they don't I don't need them and they don't need me. I am not afraid to say this to them.
    Trust me on this it works.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    The license branded lines will probably be re-licensed to someone other optical manufacturer.
    I agree, a similar thing happened to us recently when Brulimar's manufacturer for branded kids frames went bust, luckily they managed to find someone else to make the frames and continued distributing them.
    Still, it was a bit of a nightmare as it took months for the supply chain to come back into action after our own stock had been exhuasted

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    translated to: you are on your own. do what you want with the frames, you wont get any spare parts, it is unlikley a new distributor will be able ot do any thing either. the designs were licenced, and wont be re-sold... so cut you losses, take it on the chin - put the frames in a end of line sale, and be upfront with your customers as to why they are reduced

thats the nature of the beast unfortunatally, we are all in the same boat (world wide)

Thread Information